“What a great place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Gunnison B&B and Inns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“What a great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We didn't know what to expect when we first pulled up, but we were very pleasantly surprised when we entered our room. Rooms are clean and spacious. The bathrooms have been recently remodeled. But what really makes this place is the hotel owner. She was gracious, welcoming and accomidating. We would stay here again any time! Highly recommended!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. No standard white walls. The rooms are colorful and cheerful. No cheap white sheets or towels, they use same sheet and towels I would use at home.
The owners are cheerful and extremely nice. We had a great stay!
Watching the hot air balloons rising over the hotel each morning was a great way to start the day.
Will definitely return when I get a chance.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Staying here was a great experience and we will be recommending this motel to friends travelling to/through the Gunnison area. This motel has been owned for over 15 years by a nice couple from Poland. The wife took our reservation over the phone and was very very friendly, as she was when we checked in. She gave us a great recommendation for a dinner place, the Palisades Restaurant. Our room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Although this motel is an older facility, it is very well maintained, the room was a good size and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom has been remodeled and everything in it worked great, and there were enough towels for all of us. (A lodging pet-peeve for me is not having a towel for everyone in our family even though the innkeepers ask how many are in our party when we make our reservations and check in). At this motel the towels were all diffferent colors so we could each tell which one was ours! We heard no street noise in our room and, except for when they were right outside our door, we didn't hear the family with 3 kids right next door to us. The breakfast offerings were very good, too. And, the icing on the cake, they have a very sweet dog that hangs out in the office sometimes. We will definately stay here again! PS I saw someone commented the man at the desk was "rough speaking" toward them and I wondered if it was because he has the eastern European speech pattern/linguistic style. He didn't seem as comfortable with English as his wife was, but he was very nice to us.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the main parking lot so it was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

The things you want in a budget motel are all here; good bed, plenty of hot water and decent water pressure, and a clean room. In addition, even though the motel is right on Highway 50, the room was quiet. We never heard people in other rooms, either. The owners are taking care of this place and Kristina (one of the owners) was very welcoming; we spent time talking with her and got an excellent dinner recommendation.
The bathroom was small in the way all motel bathrooms were in the 50's but new fixtures and a remodeled shower make it workable. The air conditioning worked well.
We woke up refreshed, had breakfast in the small area in the office, and were on our way. Next time we're in Gunnison, we'll stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Cranford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This place met our clean and comfortable standards. We have asthma and allergies and did not experience any challenges here. It was the perfect location to access the various attractions in the area. Breakfast waffles are a must eat! I would gladly trade this casual and relaxed atmosphere for the over priced chain hotels. The hotel keepers were very helpful and gladly gave us our requested room preview. The visitor's center is a stones throw form the hotel. We liked this town!

Room Tip: Our room was near the back of the hotel and we frequently sat at the picnic table located on the sm...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

This was the worst place we stayed on our vacation. First upon arrival the man at the front desk was not nice, very rough speaking toward us. The room was clean and roomy but drop cords everywhere. The TV was a nice flat screen but so fuzzy you couldn't hardly see it. We didn't even try the hot tub, there was a lock on the door. This could have been a very nice

place to but the "owner" was not polite. When I'm spending nearly $100 per night people should be nice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lisa W
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stopped in for a quick one night stay at The Western Motel on a May solo trip to Colorado. The outside appearance looked a bit dodgy as I pulled in, but I figured in the quaint town of Gunnison there would be no worries.

The bed was uncomfortable (very firm) and the television mounted in the most odd position, as it sat high on the wall directly to the right side of the bed. It's budget lodging, though, and quirks are to be expected. In any case it was a quick stay and, having another long drive the next morning, I awoke early and left the room at 5AM, neatly placing the room key beside the television remote. I generally trust this as an acceptable method of check-out. As always, I left the room in excellent condition - I can empathize with housekeepers and their dealings, and always try to do what I can to make their job as easy as possible.

When I arrived home and received my credit card statement, I had a $10 surcharge from the Western Motel. I called and spoke to a female at the desk who advised the surcharge was for the room key not being accounted for; however, she also commented that the motel had experienced trouble in the past from housekeepers losing keys and suggested I call back and speak to a manager to further discuss. Consequently I called back and spoke to a male manager who insisted I had stolen his key. I eloquently explained my side of the story and asked that he take action to make things right... I was told tough luck.

I will be the first to give someone the benefit of a doubt, especially if only $10 is on the line. BUT to be called a thief for stealing a room key when it is most certainly the fault of the motel property is too much. I will never stay in this motel again and strongly suggest others avoid.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo