“Do not stay here”
Review of The Western Motel

The Western Motel
Ranked #2 of 5 Gunnison B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

I booked this motel online based on reviews it looked nice. But very dissappointed....The hottub was filthy, very low water pressure; not enough pressure to wash my hair, when I complained to desk clerk I was told quote "I don't care". I then had to find another hotel close by. I have learned a lesson about checking first before I pay. Rude staff to top it off..also having to leave to find another place with charges and no apology from staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank curious31
CCcop027, Manager at The Western Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Our hot tub is clean and in perfect condition, I have been the Manager of the Western Motel since Sept 2013, first task was cleaning it after a large group used it heavily in mid August. Now twice per month it is cleaned, and tested.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The Western Motel isn't the nicest place we have ever stayed, but for road weary travellers, it will do the job. The hotel owners are very nice and the room was clean and comfortable. We were on our motorcycle and there were several other motorcycle riders that chose this hotel. Gunnison, Colorado is a beautiful area of the country. I would recommend this hotel if you;re ever in Gunnison.

Room Tip: There is no pool, but there is a spa in the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed 2 night at the Western this week. I don't think that the room had been thoroughly cleaned in a very long time. there was a hair scrunchy on the floor when we checked in, it was against the base of the dresser, but very visible, I kicked it away from the dresser base to make it more visible to see if it would be gone when we returned to the room the next evening. After a day of sightseeing, we returned late and the damn scrunchy was still there, after walking on the floor in my socks, the bottoms of the socks were literally black, the room was really small and the bed lumpy. and we couldn't seem to get enough light in the room.(maybe the lack of lighting explain the lack of care in cleaning?) if they have wi-fi, they don't give you the log in info. There are many other places to stay.......pick any of them I am sure that every single one of them are better than the western.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank cfrank09

We are a wonderful home away from home for our amazing guests. If you'll notice reviews of those guests you will see that our cleanliness is paramount to us, and done thoroughly after each guest's stay. July 2014 has been our best July ever, many 10 out of 10 reviews and some very good reviews as well.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We turned up about 7 PM in Gunnison with our accommodations for the night having gone awry. Called the Western Hotel as quickly as we could (no phone signal driving through the mountains!) and they had one double left. We asked them to hold it for us and they did. We were pleasantly surprised upon arrival; a very friendly greeting and a clean, quiet room. The continental breakfast is basic but good: coffee, cereal, bagels/cream cheese, and you can make your own waffles. No eggs or yoghurt, but for the price of the room ($63, including taxes), no complaints from us! The owners clearly have put some TLC into the place, with bright colors and clean rooms and bathrooms. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for one night on a trip to tour Western Colorado State University. This is an older hotel but very clean and comfortable. Location was walking distance to downtown Gunnison. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Breakfast room was small and food was adequate. I would definitely stay here again when coming through Gunnison.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Title says it all. I'm a traveling salesman and biker with numerous nights out a year for biz and adventure. I have nothing against the national chains and work frequently with one of the large chains, however when able I like to stay at the old school roadside motels due to their character and usually aggressive nightly cost's. The owners of the western run a tight ship and keep this motel in great shape, we noticed they had some staff out very early in the morn cleaning everything from the threshold to the eaves. The rooms which are a nice size have clearly been remodeled and updated with nice walls, carpets, beds and a bathroom comparable to your house. The western is a short walk to main street and plenty of eateries and watering holes. I found the owners to be competent, friendly, informative and maintenance oriented. The chain hotel across the street was significantly higher in price with not much more amenities. This trip was a bike trip and the Western was perfect for our needs and I would absolutely stay here if on business. I won't down rate the hotel due to lack of a pool or exercise room because it wasn't one of my requirements. Hat's off to the Western Hotel!

Mike- Charlotte NC

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel was clean and reasonably priced. The staff on the phone when booking the room the day before were hard to understand and we were unsure if the reservation was right or not. We had planned to stay 2 nights but after checking in we decided to look around for something a bit friendlier. The scary part was the feeling of pending doom. We were placed in a dark corner room that had double fire doors with dead bolt locks (one at the entrance to the room, and another down a short hallway to the actual room). This made me wonder why I would need such protection. The motel was deserted of customers until a lone motorcyclist ventured in late at night. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was terrible in that the bagels and pastries could have been used as hockey pucks. Overall, I'd say this motel/hotel would be a great place to miss!

Room Tip: I'd advise travelers to call or visit the chamber of commerce or visitors center for information...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends