“Great Stay for a Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Western Motel

The Western Motel
Ranked #2 of 5 Gunnison B&B and Inns
Casa Grande, Arizona
“Great Stay for a Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are staying in Gunnison, The Western Motel is the place to stay. At very cheap prices, the service is exceptional. Edward and Christina, the owners, assisted in any way they could and immediately. For instance: We locked ourselves out of our room and they lent their keys to us trustfully. The rooms status was clean, neat and simple. The bathrooms were spotless and the shower head had three options of pressure, if that suits you. The rooms are cleaned as often as needed. Just ask Marcelina and she'll get it cleaned. The motel is walking distance of the main street and all the tourist locations. Breakfast is also included in the stay. We, my family of four, stayed comfortably and safely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a very cute small mom and pops place that I really enjoyed on my winter vacation. It wasn't too far from Monarch, main street or a park. And it had a hot tub to soak in after a day on the slope! The breakfast area was very pretty and made me enjoy my Colorado vacation that much more! It was clean and affordable. I will be coming back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovemylambo
Littleton, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked by phone after seeing they were "dog friendly" on the website. I explained to the elderly man (who seemed a little out of it, and with some sort of Slavic accent) who took our reservations that we needed 2 rooms for 5 people and 3 dogs. We said fine and booked the reservations. I was concerned he had got all this down correctly and called in a week in advance and left a message explaining our needs again and to call me if there was ANY problem.

When we arrived there was a BIG problem and a semi-dramatic, heavily accented, fit thrown by the female half of this couple who said these rooms were "not dog approved rooms" and we would need to pay another $45. I have since read that this has happened to other travelers and I think this is a rehearsed scam that they pull over and over to charge more.

The rooms themselves were clean enough, but there was no shampoo provided. The Continental breakfast was clearly day old "on sale" pastries from the local grocery, but the coffee was hot, at least. If the place was half the price I would give it a hesitant thumbs up IF you are NOT travelling with pets.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ron2196
CCcop027, Manager at The Western Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We very much like dogs ourselves, however the guests with allergies need us to protect them more so and our pet owning guests. There is no bait and switch tactic done by my Great Boss with a Polish accent, we only have 3 rooms to which we allow dogs. When a guest doesn't inform us properly or if we are simply too busy with pet owning guests, this is when this issue puts undue stress on the owners. Cleaning fee of $15 per night is absolutely necessary, as no guest wants a single pet hair in their room.
Pueblo, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We had stayed at the Western before and was pleased. It is an older hotel with small rooms but relatively clean. I booked a king room on the website for $64. I noted on the registration that we would be traveling with a small dog.

When we arrived, I was told that the room we booked was not a "doggie" room so we would have to pay $88 for a "doggie" room with 2 double beds. The room's layout was very bizarre. The sink was in a closet with the refrigerator. There was 1 small washcloth and 1 hand towel.

The wifi did not work, the ice machine was "out of order until April", and there was no soap, shampoo, or conditioner.

We definitely will not be staying here again. For that price, we can stay at a nicer hotel with amenities.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Colorado_EmptyNester
Ice machine is always operational, the sign you saw was for the Pop Vending machine, because they freeze during those months. Soap is in the rooms always, and shampoo is available upon request. Dog issue is not your fault as you did have it mentioned, the owner simply did not check it until check in and our 1 queen pet room was taken already.
Bloomington, Illinois, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel is old and shabby although it was clean. We picked it for the reasonable price and that it had a hot tub and internet. Well, the hot tub was lukewarm and, being outside, this was not acceptable for winter--we froze. The manager just said "that's all the hotter it gets in winter." I have stayed at many places including private homes with outdoor hot tubs and they are HOT, even in winter. If this is a problem it should have been dealt with or not advertise you have this amenity. We would never have stayed here without it advertising a HOT tub and it was a big disappointment that we were unable to use it after skiing. Our room was listed as having a hot tub too but had just a reg (and old/stained) tub. The internet, also advertised as an amenity, worked only intermittently and poorly--another disappointment. The breakfast is very basic--the usual generic bagels, cake donuts, a few pastries, 1 jug of OJ, whole milk only, peanut butter/butter/jelly and coffee (caffeinated only). Bkfst served in a tiny area (about 8 x 8) with 1 table that took up most of that room and there was a sign that you were not to take any food out of the area--excuse me?-- I am suppose to eat in that cramped area with the door opening into the cold all the time--I don't think so! I took my bagel to my room to eat. The staff was helpful/nice and we were able to purchase discount tickets for skiing which really saved us some money and helped a lot. The rooms had a sm. refrigerator/microwave/coffee maker which all worked well and the rms were cleaned well daily.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank wrldtravel2
Portland, OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

The Western Motel is a basic but very clean motel in Gunnison. It's not fancy but the owner was very friendly and helpful. When I asked for a dinner referral, he gave a recommendation for a place called for The Trough. Turned out great!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wingflier
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I found the staff to be pleasant, helpful, and quite friendly. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The motel is located very close to Main Street I will stay there again when we return to Gunnison.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple