“Worth the trip”
Review of Crystal Mill

Crystal Mill
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Actually made the trip 1.5 times. The first night we got a late start and turned back a little past Lizard lake. The road is very rocky. I would not attempt this with passenger rated tires but I saw a few stock SUVs doing this.
I just hope I would not have to meet someone coming the other way on the shelf-road sections. There are shelf sections from what I remember. You just have to note where your pull outs are and how far back. Remember the uphill vehicle has the Right Of Way. This will change many times as you make the 6 miles out to the mill. Once there the trip back was a cinch. The photography was great and we went past it to the townsite of Crystal. There we med a kid carrying a rifle and chatted a little. Turned out his family owned several hundred acersand several of the cabins in Crystal and he also gestured to the Mountain over there. "We own that Mountain" he proclaimed, "been in the family 5 generations"

All in all a great destination. Highly recommended. If your vehicle does not have sufficient clearance or good tires there are quad rentals and jeep tours available in Marble.

4  Thank Mccaf

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I made my 4th trip to Crystal Mill in June of 2012. We took Devils Punch Bowl for the first time, the trail is usually blocked by snow but it was a dry year so we were excited to try it. Devils Punch Bowl is one of the most intimidating trails in that area. Don't go unless you are experienced in 4-wheeling. Even if you go the way through Marble it is pretty rough and 4-wheeling experience is recommended. The road on Devils Punch Bowl is just wide enough for 1 narrow vehicle at times. It was narrow in our Jeep, so a full size truck/suburban is not recommended (for the Marble way or Devils Punch Bowl). Once you get to the mill it is a great view. The mill is in good shape for its age, they just recently put a new roof on it before we visited. You can stand up top or walk down by the Crystal River and get pictures. This is a full day trip so pack a cooler with food and water. The closest towns are Marble and Redstone and they are a distance away.

1  Thank Butters55
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Crystal Mill is the most photographed historic site in Colorado, and for good reason. It was worth the trek, but I would only make the trip with an experienced 4x4 jeep driver or by ATV.

3  Thank KatieScarlettDallas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We also approached this from marble as other posters have said and while only 6 miles, it was a very slow and terrifying drive in our Chevy Blazer. At one point we had to get out of our cars to assess how to pass a car coming in the opposite direction on a narrow section with a drop of over 100 feet on one side. It took us 20 minutes just to figure that out. If you are not a regular wheeler, then I recommend going with someone who has more experience driving that road.

I believe this was listed near Gunnison, because there is supposedly an even more treacherous 4WD road (likely only for Jeeps or ATV's) that connects over another pass to the southeast to Crested Butte somehow.

Glad I got to see it and get some pics because I won't be going back down that road again.

2  Thank Koalatastic
Reviewed 6 April 2013

You have seen pictures of Crystal Mill, but don't realize you have seen the mill. This is an iconic landmark for Colorado. A picture is what got me to want to find Crystal Mill. In order to get there you need a 4X4 vehicle or take a jeep tour from Marbel. The ride is white knuckle drive, but the scenery made it worth the trip. The turn off sign for the most direct route is very small and easy to miss. If you do miss the turn, you end up going the long way. The long way has phenomenal views of Lead King Basin.
The mill is located a short distance from the actual town of Crystal. Crystal was once a booming town. During the summer is when the town picks up with people going through to see the famous mill. Also a famous writer and his wife stay in his families cabin during the summer. You can even get him to autograph his book for you. Also if you need to make a pit stop, there is an out house.
Personally I didn't like the drive, but it was worth it to see the mill with my own eyes. A trip I will not forget.

4  Thank jcrumley