“delicious food and very reasonable prices” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
denver
“delicious food and very reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This trip was the second time I've eaten here (the first time was last year) and both times the food was delicious. My kids loved the food too. The portions are generous. I was surprised to find such a tasty Chines meal in a small town. The only downside was that service was a bit slow (not terrible though) because there was quite a crowd when we were there.

• Visited July 2014

Los Angeles
“Ummm...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Being that my dad is always on the lookout for Chinese places to try, no matter how small, dingy, remote, or seemingly Americanized, we decided to stop in on our way to Black Canyon. It had been two days or so since we had had anything "Chinese", and while I was OK with that, he wasn't. His craving level must have been through the roof.

So we sat down and took a good look at the menu. Of course, being in a small town, you don't expect a really elaborate menu, and, low and behold, there wasn't. It was one single page of lunch combos and another page of everything else. Quite a step down from the seemingly copious pages of menu we had grown accustomed to in such places as Rapid City and Denver on our thousand mile long road trip.

Anyway, we each got lunch combos, of course. He got a kung pao beef, while I got a hunan shrimp. Quite a far cry from what we had previously. Very salty, very oily. I think he said no MSG, but I don't suppose that stopped them from piling on the salt and oil. Had that Chinese belly feeling afterward, the same icky "I'm stuffed for all the wrong reasons" feeling you get after frequenting a quintessential American Chinese buffet. Not very good. And it wasn't even that cheap. Or at least not by my standards. A little less than $7 for each (which is what you would expect for a lunch combo practically anywhere). But the cooking was definitely lacking. I just have to say that for a stereotypical lunch combo, I have definitely had better...for cheaper.

• Visited June 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“The Chopsticks were clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Although the food was average, the fact that the 'silverware', glasses and cups appeared to be covered with water stains was very distracting. Also, the carpeting needed cleaning from rice and other foods. I couldn't bring myself to drink water from the glass and asked for new wood chopsticks to eat with rather than use the fork and spoons provided. I noticed the same unclean conditions on the other tables, so our table wasn't a fluke. I can't recommend this restaurant until they improve the process they use to clean their serving implements.

Visited May 2014
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Good food prepared fresh.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I hav eaten here several times while in Gunnison. Each time the food has been good and reasonably priced. Excellent service.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank rosepitre
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great Chinese food and a great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was our third choice for a meal our first evening in Gunnison, having found a highly recommended restaurant (the Gunnisack) closed, then having waited for seating at an understaffed steak house across the street from the Gunnisack so long that we gave up and left. After the excellent meal we received at the House of China, my wife and I agree that it should have been our first choice all along. The food was excellent, the value great, the service fast and cheerful, and the serving sizes quite generous. (My wife got a big second meal from the two takeout boxes we filled with our leftovers.) We look forward to returning.

• Visited July 2013