“Good value”
Review of Haywood Park Hotel

Haywood Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 20 March 2011

The room was large and very clean with 2 double beds and a couch. The hotel is in downtown Asheville and very convenient to shopping and restaurants. Parking was free. A buffet breakfast was available for 7.50 per person; there were plenty of additional places to get breakfast also. The TV in the room was difficult to see because it was small and the room was large. We would definitely stay there again as a base for exploring Asheville and environs.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Francesginger

Reviewed 25 February 2011

What a wonderful gem in the downtown heart of Asheville, NC. The location was fab! All the shops;along with the wonderful dining, Chocolate shops; Jewelry and Wine were all within easy walking; as in just across the street or just down a block; or in the hotel!
The staff was beyond excellent. Free Valet parking! Bellmen that really pack your things from out of your car to take them to your room and unpacked and hang up your things! The room was what I had expected to get in the higher priced world famed hotel/spa; that I had just spent 3 days in Asheville before moving the rest my stay to The Haywood Park; because the price at the Spa/hotel was going to go up in mid week? Starting on a Wednesday?
Oh I am so glad they did and I moved! As this hotel catered to my every need. I had sprained my toe in spa at the other "Spa/hotel" and the General Manager of THE HAYWOOD PARK; Victoria L. Marino; noticed that I was limping; when I asked for my car keys so I could go get another pair of shoes; she insisted to go herself to get my shoes! Unbelievable!! They have a comp turn down service; where they come in turn down your sheets; and then place yummy truffles from the "Chocolate Fetish" on your pillow! Oh my.. Dim the lights; lay out a plush robe provided by THE HAYWOOD PARK . The bathroom was to die for; with a Jacuzzi, double sinks, along with a TV and phone; all in a elegant marble/ tiled bathroom; with a lighted vanity mirror and settee! They of course had provided nice bath products; even better than the "Spa/hotel" There was a lovely plush sofa and ottoman and a writing desk; where I could plug in my laptop (free WI-FI) and recharge my phone; along with a large flat screen TV; that slid out of a hidden closet space. A re fig and coffee machine and wet bar; hidden behind a closet like door; with a light that came on when you opened the door. There were so many little "special touches" I hope I don't miss mentioning any; like a free paper waiting at your doorway in the morning; to the folding of the ends of all things; the toilet paper! They brought ice to your room in a leather ice bucket; again a comp; instead of having to tramp down the hall to a ice machine! WOW! To say the least I was very impressed with my stay at THE HAYWOOD PARK; this was what I had expected to get at THE OTHER "spa/hotel"; which next time I go to Asheville I will do the "Spa" part but I will be staying at THE HAYWOOD.!! I give this place the BIG THUMBS UP!!! T.Small

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TSmall01
Reviewed 24 January 2011

.We have stayed at the Haywood Park for years. My husband has stayed there for ove 25 years and this is the only reason we would come to the mountains of NC. We stayed there to surprise me (his wife) last week and was sorely dissapointed. We were sick to see that the restuarant was closed and then there was no extra pillows or blankets in the room. We stayed in a $250.00 master suite and requested an extra blanket; when we called housekeeping we were brought a 5 lb. bedspread. When we arrived in the room, it was 50 degrees and it took 4 hours to warm it to the point of potential comfort> My hsband is extremely sorry to say that we will not be coming back. Regards, Deborah Nunn for husband, William F. Nunn. We have recommended the Haywood Park to many people; it will never bo our recommendation again. Bottom line...if you're going to charge the price, give the service. Where is the ice and the water...we never found it!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank wnunn
HaywoodParkMgmt, Manager at Haywood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Nunn,
Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry for the lapse in our attention to your service needs. It is always our goal to exceed guests expectations and when we fall short it reflects badly on us. In direct response to the temperature of your room, we have implemented housekeeping procedures to ensure that guest rooms awaiting occupancy are at an appropriate room temperature. We fear that our recent proactively to being more “green” and energy efficient might have negatively impacted your stay—this we sincerely regret. We hope that your 25 year guest history at Haywood Park will not be jeopardized by this one stay. We’d welcome the opportunity to have you back!

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Stayed at this hotel after searching the internet for boutique types in Asheville. Seemed like a good idea at the time based on the small number of rooms, central location and seemingly more upscale environment compared to a chain. Wrong. Asheville is very small -- so any hotel around the city is convenient. (FYI, we stayed at a Homewood Suites the night before [New Year's Eve] since Haywood was full. It was 1.5 mi from downtown -- so very convenient by foot or taxi and a better hotel.] Guy at the front desk was void of personality. Room was either hot or cold -- no in between. Some random hair on the shower ledges. Quirky lighting system. Windows were not sealed so the street noise and cold air came in all night. Had to ask for the turn down service and then remind them to do it. No ice machine around -- had to call front desk who had the ice delivered to the room by a guy with a fast hand out for his "service." Really? Don't expect an internet reservation process like other hotels -- you have to "ask" for when you would like to stay, then maybe a day or three later you'll get a reply stating if you're approved. I should have taken that as an omen. There is another boutique around the corner called Indigo Blue. During our visit we checked out the lobby which is much cooler than Haywood. But I cannot speak for anything else regarding that boutique type. Just something else to consider.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAG2021
HaywoodParkMgmt, Manager at Haywood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2011

On the rare occasion that a guest has a less then acceptable stay with us, we hope it will be communicated either during their stay or upon check-out. In doing so it allows us to react in both a personal and meaningful way. We welcome any and all feedback from guests because it ensures that we are held to the highest standards of hospitality. The Haywood Park Hotel has been boutique since its inception. We find our guests like the personal attention and service we deliver. Many guests tell us they love that we provide complimentary ice because it distinguishes us from the generic hotel experience. Furthermore, our staff is available 24/7 to assist any guest if they have a problem operating any feature within their suite including heating and cooling controls, cable remote, flat screen TV, lights, safe, jet tub or coffee maker. We go to great lengths to ensure that our staff is trained and capable of satisfying any guest request. Lastly, while we celebrate the traditional aspects of our boutique hotel experience, we recognize that many guests today appreciate the conveniences of technology. This is why we have just installed a state-of-the-art property management system that will provide instant confirmation of reservations. This is just one of the many capital improvements we have made in the last year. We hope we can win back this guest and prove to him why Haywood Park is a hotel of distinction.

Reviewed 31 December 2010

I love this place. HPH reflects the friendliness of Asheville and also the dog friendliness as well. The room was generously sized and had great views of downtown. The location was perfect for all the downtown sites, and close to Biltmore as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2010

After a valet parked our car we were greeted at check in with a glass of wine which was a nice surprise. We stayed in a master king suite which had a large sitting area with both a full size couch and chair. Positives - central downtown location, large rooms, extra TV in bathroom, excellent service.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We booked a room block for our wedding weekend this past October. We dealt with Karen Ferell during the planning stages and she was also a tremendous help that weekend. Our rehearsal dinner was held in the hotel atrium that Friday night and with Karen's help we changed the space into a warm and welcoming space. We had a friend play acoustic guitar and the sound was great. The hotel staff was more than accommodating to all our needs! Friends and family loved it!
The location is perfect as all the great restaurants and shops are within walking distace. Rooms are quite spacious. Overall a wonderful weekend! Thanks!!

• Stayed: October 2010