“Wonderful Getaway!”
Review of Haywood Park Hotel

Haywood Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This hotel is amazing! Wonderful staff and excellent customer service! Booked the Master King Suite and the views were fabulous of the night skyline overlooking downtown. So easy to walk everywhere to explore. Just can't say enough as no details were left untouched. From Guest Services staff to housekeeping and the valet, everyone was so friendly and helpful. Loved the bathroom, the bed was so comfy, and the turndown chocolates divine. Wonderful and quiet space! Will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Haywood Park Hotel

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Let me preface this review by stating how horribly disappointed we were with downtown Asheville...it really lacks luster. The dining options are suboptimal, the shopping is subpar, and I cannot tell you how many times we were confronted by homeless citizens. I wish we had stayed closer to the Biltmore or on the grounds.

The Haywood Park Hotel used to be a downtown department store. The rooms are huge with decent amenities. Upon arrival, we were supposed to receive complimentary champagne. But, I suppose since I insisted on parking my own car in the parking garage of the hotel, depriving the bellman of a tip for assistance, we weren't worthy. The garage for the hotel required quite a distance of walking and taking a separate elevator to get back to the lobby to take the elevator up to the room.

There is a restaurant located right off the lobby. We had breakfast there one morning, and it was simply horrible. The next morning we ate breakfast at a different restaurant across the street that didn't open until 9:00 AM on a Sunday morning!! As we were departing downtown Asheville later that morning, I noticed an encampment of homeless citizens under the interstate ramp.

Western North Carolina is a beautiful place, especially in the autumn. Don't spoil its grandeur by staying in downtown Asheville!!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel (not downtown!)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BES1972
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The biggest advantage to this hotel is the location, you can walk anywhere in the city without the hassle of searching for a parking space, which can be nearly impossible during busy times of the year. So paying a little more to be in the heart of things can be well worth it.

I was somewhat forced to book their king suite because I was staying one night and they said the hotel was nearly full - although the hotel seemed quiet and the parking deck was half empty. But.... the room was incredible with city views and an awesome bed, I felt like a queen. The only negative remark I have to mention is, for such a luxury room, the shower was absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a pleasant view if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed at Haywood Park Hotel for a mini-vacation (4 days) and had a great experience. Great location, nice hotel. Very professional staff at Front Desk Clerk (Hotel Manager, greet us when we arrived, she was very professional and friendly. Front Desk Clerk, Cherry assisted us with general recommendations as to restaurants, bars, general city attractions... Cherry, thanks for your help, you were great!!! Our room was beautiful with a nice, huge and very clean bathroom... thanks to housekeeping personnel. Will go back to Asheville during the Summer of 2012 and will stay at the Haywood Park Hotel and defenitly recommend to family and friends... Great Hotel & Nice Personnel, very nice place to stay......Thanks

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My husband & I wanted to see more of the downtown Asheville area, and this turned out to be the perfect location for walking. Our bell man gave us fantastic recommendations to local brew pubs, restaurants, and more. Our room was huge & the bathroom was fantastic. We didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: There are four floors, and we had a view from the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2011

As a follow up to my previous stay at the Haywood Park Hotel. (see Post by Wolfbred July 6, 2010) my family decided to visit Asheville again and recalling our initial dismal experience, I reflected on the very apologetic manager at that time who asked that I call her directly in the future as she would personally make my arrangements and she hoped I would give the hotel another chance . She went on to tempt me with offering a nights’ stay in the future at no charge.
Remembering these previous conversations , I called the manager after ten o’clock in the morning using the cell phone number she gave me and introduced myself in order to refresh her memory, and mentioned the previous experiences I had .I told her I was calling about making arrangements for two rooms. The manager told me that she was on her way to a meeting and would call me back around noon to see what they had available. (I had already gone on line to review the vacancies which were several ).
I asked her to call my office as I would be at work all day and left my number with her.
At one thirty and having received no call form the hotel manager. I called the manager’s number, got her answer phone, and left a message to call me regarding arrangements.
At three thirty I called the main desk at the Haywood Park and was in the process of obtaining two rooms when I mention to the very helpful attendant that I had previously called the manager in order to make arrangements earlier but she never called back. He politely asked that I hold on that she was there and he would speak to her. He returned to the phone and said, she will call you back in a few minutes”.
I never heard from her.
I got home around five o’clock in the afternoon and there was a call on my answer phone rather than my office phone as I had requested.
A lady in a foreign accent after giving her name, informed me that she was a “co-owner” of the Haywood Park Hotel and that they did not want my business, and abruptly hung up.
That was the end of the message and in my mind solidified my feeling s concerning this hotel.
I found it interesting that the Haywood Park had vacancies when all of the other “upper scale” hotels did not as this is peak season time for the fall foliage.
I also find it interesting that the Haywood Park is now allowing guests to bring their animals.
I find it interesting that the hotel management / owners can disallow a potential customer for no apparent reason other than lodging a very valid complaint about being moved to three separate rooms in one night, getting to bed at just before 4:00 am or later, just before rising early for a lengthy trip home the next day.
I find it interesting that the original promises and apologies by the management of the Haywood Park Hotel are meaningless and empty words made only to pacify the customer at the time.
I could never in good faith ever recommend this Hotel to anyone.
I look forward to the Haywood Park Hotel response to this review as I have maintained copious records and now recorded phone messages regarding this entire incident.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
24  Thank wolfbred
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Haywood Park hotel with my dog and wow, I will NEVER make that mistake again. My dog is a bit of an escape artist, but the Haywood is NOT SET UP for dogs. Any hotel that claims to be "dog friendly" should have a dead bolt in addition to the typical key card. Some dogs are able to open doors by jumping up on the door handle and this is exactly what happened. At least my dog would be stuck on that floor, right? WRONG. The Haywood had two fire escape/hallway exits on the floor and neither of them were closed all the way. My dog was able to nudge open the doors and enter the stairwell. From here, she went down the stairs and through a door that was labeled "ALARM will Sound if Opened". This was clearly not the case as she escaped through this door and out into the alley into the streets of Asheville. Thankfully this story has a happy ending as two guys were able to grab her as they saw her escape from the hotel and return to the front desk. The hotel did nothing, not even an apology. And I would never stay at the hotel if I didn't have a dog with me. It is EXTREMELY dated and felt like I walked into the 70's when I entered the room. In addition, the water pressure was horrible, the towels felt like sandpaper and the TV was the size of my iPad. To top it all off, the rate was ATROCIOUS. Don't waste your time or money here! I did some research and Hotel Indigo is also pet friendly, just a block away, much newer, nicer and friendlier.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Michael F
omfraga, Owner at Haywood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2011

Dear Guest,

We are sorry your dog is, as you mention, an escape artist, and got out of the hotel. She sounds fun and it is very evident that you love her. It must have been horrible to think she was lost. We do wish you would have given us the head’s up about your dog’s talents… perhaps we could have come up with a solution together. However, I don’t think deadbolts would have been the solution…we do have dead bolts on our doors however, dead bolts lock from the inside, not the outside.

I must emphasize that we truly LOVE dogs at the Haywood Park Hotel. Upon check-in we give our canine guests personalized dog treats from the famous Three Dog Bakery! The owners and management of the hotel have dogs. In fact, the owner’s dog is featured on our website and I have a 16 year-old mixed breed dog that means the world to me.

We did some research and during the time of your stay; the other hotel properties in downtown were either booked solid or more expensive than we were during the dates of your stay. Our towels are 100% cotton and, although not giant, our TV’s are a respectable 26 inches.
We feel we distinguish ourselves from the other properties in downtown Asheville because

• The Haywood Park Hotel is a Historic Hotels of America® property
• There is no better location in Asheville
• The area’s finest restaurants, galleries, and boutiques are just steps away
• We are continually upgrading our property
• We boast 33 luxuriously appointed, generously sized suites; with lavish robes for our guests to use
• Guests enjoy complimentary Champagne or bottled water at check-in accompanied by player piano
• We offer complimentary valet parking
• Free Wi-Fi, Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, daily newspapers and nightly-turned down service featuring chocolate truffles
• The hotel has a state-of-the-art fitness center
• We are a smoke-free facility
• We have earned these accolades: AAA 3-diamond, Travelocity 4-star, Expedia 4-star, Tripadvisor 4-star

Even though it was not favorable, we thank you for your posting. We always learn each time we receive feedback from a guest.