“Location & bathroom...”
Review of Haywood Park Hotel

Haywood Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 7 January 2008

Two years ago when i was in Asheville, I stepped into the Haywood Park Hotel and loved its 1. location and 2. room size.
Prior to this trip, I consulted my travel guru's on tripadviser and found that most people offered positive comments about the 1. location and 2 .room size. There were some negatives,but they were minor. Subsequently, I researched the hotel's web site and booked the room for Dec.31-Jan 2.
On the hotel web site,the picture of the room features a cocktail table in front of the sofa. Our room had no such table so we could not relax on the couch with drinks & snacks but had to use the desk & the accompanying uncomfortable chairs or the bed. Speaking of sheets,they were of cheap & uncomfortable quality and kept slipping off the mattress. They provided only 2 pillows and of course when we requested more, they gave them to us. This was a King size bed & there should have been 2 per person, initially. The hotel offered no room service but had an arrangement with The Flying Frog Cafe. However, there was no indication that there would be a $5 delivery charge and a mandatory 20% tip added. The price was not a problem. The absence of information prior to this order WAS a problem. When I reported this to the management, shoulders were shrugged.
There was ONLY coffee, no tea bags & many 3 * hotels give you an option. For $225@night,we should have had an option.
The bathroom suite,which provided nice shower robes, was 5* ,as a matter of fact, nicer than the bathrooms at THE RITZ in London,UK. When there was a problem, the staff,just shrugged their shoulders.
Location, room size, and bathroom,oh my! The Renaissance hotel is sort of in the corner of the downtown area,but I have been there for dinner and I will be there the next time I go to Asheville,NC. I am a frequent traveler,especially to Europe and most of my reviews are filled with positive acclaim. This is a mixed bag, but negative enough for me to realize that $225 is too much for this hotel and its "amenities"

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank europhile149

Reviewed 1 January 2008

We visited Asheville for a couple of days over the holiday with family from all over, so we took 6 - 7 rooms in total. Everyone liked this hotel, especially the spaciousness of the rooms, which really lend themselves to hanging out in the various groups that came together while we were there. Each room was big, with plenty of comfortable seating. When there was a small problem with our parents' room, they switched them into the Presidential Suite, which was great for all of us. I could tell that we were not the only group doing this, as one family set up a projection screen in the fourth floor lobby, which worked for them.

The hotel is in a PERFECT place for walking around downtown Asheville. We visited Grove Park, and the lobby was indeed worth the visit - with the biggest stone fireplace I have ever seen, but Grove Park has a big resort feel to it. It is also not downtown. Haywood has about 35 rooms, so it is more friendly and small. It depends on what you are looking for. The decor is attractive, mostly muted brown colors, and it is my understanding that the hotel recently completed a significant renovation and is under new ownership.

We had a very nice lunch at the Flying Frog Cafe and a terrific dinner at the tapas restaurant that begins with Z.

The galleries and shopping in Asheville really are fun, and there is certainly plenty to do in the area. I would like to go back in the summer or fall and would definitely stay here again unless I wanted to go to the countryside

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Made a spur of the moment trip to Asheville for one night on Sunday night of Labor Day weekend. Its been years since Ive been to Asheville and the first as a 'leisure' trip and I really didn't have a clue where to stay. I read the reviews here of places to stay and had 4 places in mind. After getting to the hotel, I am so glad I picked this one out of the hat. This hotel is smack dab in the middle of hoppin' downtown Asheville. Dozens of restuarants and bars just out the front door. Doubletree is in very touristy area, Renaissance is 'over the hill' and Princess Anne is a drive to town. If you want to be in the 'cool' part of town, The Haywood is the place to stay.
Check in lady was a little 'bossy' but was still friendly and later when I called down for a bucket of ice bellhop dude seemed genuinely surprised when I gave him a tip. Parking was valet and free.
The "Master Suite" room is HUGE!!!! Let me say HUGE again. And the bathroom itself is larger than most hotel rooms in NYC.
Yes, the decor is a bit dated, and if you look hard enough you can see some wear and tear, but, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room. I could complain that the full sized sofa was placed too far away from the TV but thats not really a complaint, that should be a compliment!
Overall, Ive been around... Ive stayed in $1000 a night rooms and $60 a night rooms... People on Tripadvisor that give any Hampton Inn a 5/5 don't know what they are talking about....
That being said, I give this place two thumbs up. A 4.5/5.
If you want to stay in the tourist area, stay in Biltmore Village. If you want to stay where the action is.. stay here.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank freeflytim
Reviewed 22 July 2007

While many tout the Grove Park Inn, we found it a little disappointing, with vendors in the lobby, noisy, and not within walking distance of anything. Not so with the lovely Haywood Park. After a harrowing trip complete with lost luggage, we arrived at the hotel late in the afternoon disheveled and frustrated, on the verge of tears. The front desk staff was simply amazing, making us feel welcome and even suprised us with our luggage. I think I said something to the effect of "I'm so happy I could kiss you" to which the gentleman checking us in replied: "well, we are very friendly in the South!"...... breaking the ice for all of us and giving us a much-needed belly laugh. Room service was terrific, the room itself was spacious and first-rate, luxurious marble bath with a tub I could not stay out of....great views, and no noise from the cafe (which I had read complaints about in a few other reviews), trust me, we are not party animals at our age, and peace & quiet are important to us! Yes, the decor could be modernized a little, but it was by no means shabby. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay. I only wish we had gotten the front desk man's name, I would have written a gracious letter to the manager. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank flakeysrn
Reviewed 5 June 2007

As a barometer for interpreting this review, my wife and I are not overly-extravagant, are 30-somethings, and take only a few vacations per year. The staff, for the most part, were nice and helpful. Bellhops, in particular, were very attentive and "super-fast" with ice service/baggage pick-up -- that was great. The location was awesome, in the thick of everything. However, if you don't want to hear music past 11PMish from the Flying Frog cafe downstairs you may want to consider a different hotel -- it didn't bother us, though. The long-and-short is that we were simply expecting a bit more for $210/night: we had stayed at the Grove Park Inn for the first few nights of our vacation, at $260/night, and there is simply no comparison between the two properties. The Grove Park was just in a different (and better) class, on multiple levels. We did hear from several sources that the Haywood Inn may be undergoing an ownership change. That would explain the need for upgrades from the mid-1980's decor, including the rather old-school VCRs. Overall, I'd stay at the Haywood again if the rates were $90/night +/-.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank TravelOrlando
Reviewed 23 May 2007

The Haywood Park Hotel is in a great location. My husband and I were able to walk to everything in the downtown area. The staff was friendly. The hotel has valet parking or you can request a parking garage swipe card to park your own car. Our room was big- including a bed area, sitting area, vanity, bathroom, closet and drawer space, and a fridge. The bathroom was big as well with a seperate shower and tub. The bathroom also had a tv in it. Bring your own hairdryer because the one in the bathroom is weak. Every night there is a turndown service. The staff leaves truffles every night as well which were so yummy. Everything about the hotel was really nice...very clean. The downfall is that the walls are a little thin. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaKim
Reviewed 7 April 2007

Love this hotel. I've stayed here a couple of times and have loved every second of my stays. Located in downtown Asheville, you will not run out of unique shopping, bar and great local restaurants within walking distance. Make reservations downstairs for dinner at the Flying Frog. Guaranteed to be the best filet you ever eat (if you like spice, order the peppercorn sauce, for a milder sauce, order the brie and gorganzola). When you check in, sign up for the turndown service. You will be thrilled with the chocolate truffles from "The Chocolate Fetish" located in the downstairs of the hotel. For breakfast, go to Tupelo Honey - have the sweet potato pancakes. Other good food - Early Girl Eatery - local produce, fresh food, quick service. Go to Tops for Shoes for a huge selection of men, women and children's shoes. Very cool beer store located on Broadway. Asheville is a great weekend getaway!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple