“Haywood was Great”
Review of Haywood Park Hotel

Haywood Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 23 May 2007

The Haywood Park Hotel is in a great location. My husband and I were able to walk to everything in the downtown area. The staff was friendly. The hotel has valet parking or you can request a parking garage swipe card to park your own car. Our room was big- including a bed area, sitting area, vanity, bathroom, closet and drawer space, and a fridge. The bathroom was big as well with a seperate shower and tub. The bathroom also had a tv in it. Bring your own hairdryer because the one in the bathroom is weak. Every night there is a turndown service. The staff leaves truffles every night as well which were so yummy. Everything about the hotel was really nice...very clean. The downfall is that the walls are a little thin. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaKim

Reviewed 7 April 2007

Love this hotel. I've stayed here a couple of times and have loved every second of my stays. Located in downtown Asheville, you will not run out of unique shopping, bar and great local restaurants within walking distance. Make reservations downstairs for dinner at the Flying Frog. Guaranteed to be the best filet you ever eat (if you like spice, order the peppercorn sauce, for a milder sauce, order the brie and gorganzola). When you check in, sign up for the turndown service. You will be thrilled with the chocolate truffles from "The Chocolate Fetish" located in the downstairs of the hotel. For breakfast, go to Tupelo Honey - have the sweet potato pancakes. Other good food - Early Girl Eatery - local produce, fresh food, quick service. Go to Tops for Shoes for a huge selection of men, women and children's shoes. Very cool beer store located on Broadway. Asheville is a great weekend getaway!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2006

We enjoyed our stay at this property. The room was extremely large, and included a large sitting area with a full size couch and comfy chair/ottoman that made the room very comfortable. It also included a wet bar, which we did not need but was delighted to see anyway. Our view was directly over the entrance, which allowed us a great view of the street. The furnishings and decor are a little dated, however everything was in pretty good shape. The bathroom was enormous - and included a tub and separate, glass enclosed shower. The linens were very nice. Free valet parking was a nice - and very convenient - touch. The service we received from the staff in general was fast and courteous. We were also pleased to hear that the rooms are all non-smoking.

The town is charming, with lots of boutiques and shops of all kinds. It reeks of history and pride, and we enjoyed our hours of browsing.

The one problem we had was finding somewhere to have dinner on Sunday night. All the restaurants in Ashville seemd to be closed, except for a Thai restaurant we finally came across. We strongly do NOT recommend this place - the food was simply awful, and actually sent one dish back.

We DO, however, recommend a wonderful Mexican restaurant called "Salsa's". The food was interesting and satisfying, and the service was good too. Get there early - it was packed on the Saturday morning we were there.

An important fact to mention: There was a small fire at the hotel the first night we stayed at this hotel, and the hotel staff, as well as the local fire department, handled it very professionally. We were impressed.

If we ever get back to Ashville, we'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Princess1043
Reviewed 24 June 2006

We greatly enjoyed our stay here. A nice lobby and spacious, comfortable rooms. We spent then next two days walking to interesting points in the city, although it was tempting just to stay and enjoy the room and lobby. The civic center is right there. Nice shops and restaurants. The gallery is right across the street. One downside would be the lack of a restaurant in the hotel. I suppose they thought there were plenty of places to walk to, and there are a selection of small, pub style restaurants. Also, there is no pool. I am glad we selected this very nice hotel, in a great location from which to discover Asheville.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Tomfromphillie
woodfin, nc
Reviewed 21 June 2006

My husband and I had a weekend getaway at this wonderful hotel. The staff was extremely helpful. The bellhop even helped me hide a few items from my husband that I had brought as a surprise. Turn down service was superb with chocolate truffles and feather pillows as requested. But my favorite part of our stay in the grand suite was the bathtub. The website said oversized but I didn't expect both my husband and I to be able to lay down in it with plenty of room to spare. However the only use the bidet got was my very country husband trying to figure out what it did. The only negative thing I can think of is the breakfast prices but that's not that big of a problem considering how many delicious restaurants there are around.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hendersonville, NC
Reviewed 19 April 2006

My husband and I checked in for our anniversary on April 15th. We checked in after 2:00 pm (the normal check in time), and we were sent to our room on the 2nd floor. Once we arrived to our room, we found the maid still cleaning our room. We had to wait for 20 minutes for her to finish before we could go in with our luggage. We were not told at the front desk that our room was not yet ready! Later in the evening, we were getting ready to go have dinner. I stepped into the shower only to find hair that had been left by the cleaning staff (must have been in a hurry to finish cleaning the room since we were waiting). Not a nice thing to find in a hotel shower! We arrived back at our room late that night. When we walked in, it was like walking into an oven (we had turned the AC on before we left to cool the room for when we returned). Needless to say, the AC was not working. We called the front desk, and they are more than willing to change our room...to the 3rd floor. Luckily, she called back to tell us that room had been rented and we would be able to stay on the 2nd floor (where our original room was located). They allowed us to leave our belongings in the original room and sleep in the other room. Check out was at noon, but we ended up leaving at 10:00 am. It was too inconvenient to be in one room that was nice and cool and have all of our belongings in another room. At this time, it made no sense to move anything, so we just packed up and left. I did fill out the comment sheet they gave me at check in and turned it in when we checked out. There was no apology or offer of discounts or a comp night. At $200.00+ a night, I would have expected something a little better than that. Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again at that price.

Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 10 April 2006

My family and I went for a girl's weekend to Asheville. Our stay at the Haywood Park Hotel was wonderful. The service was tremendous and we were all very pleased. The Valet/Bellman/Room Service guy was wonderful!!! He helped with anything we needed and made great shopping and restaurant recommendations. The rooms were larger than expected, nicely furnished and VERY clean. During your stay, visit Flow of Life, in the Atrium of the hotel, for the best massage ever! We will certainly make Haywood Park our hotel of choice in Asheville!

• Stayed: April 2006