“Beautiful hotel but a few suggestions”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Sykesville, Maryland
“Beautiful hotel but a few suggestions”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was really looking forward to this one. The hotel was beautifully decorated and I LOVED the cleanliness of the room. The bedding was super clean and white. The bathroom was perfect. The lobby was beautiful, and the people were friendly. I never got to use the pool because I was ill. That was one of the reasons I was so glad the bathroom was clean because I was sitting on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet for most of the night. :(
My suggestions: Be careful following the hotel directions that they give you to places in the area because the ones to UNCA were wrong. The breakfast hot food items were cold, and even after several people asking that they be warmed up, nothing was done about it. The woman told us to take our food to our rooms to warm it up. Also, the coffee at the breakfast room ran out, and people were told to get it from the lobby. They could use a better attendant for their breakfast and the stay would become perfect.

Room Tip: Get on the highest floor available for a great view of the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I really appreciate your compliments of our hotel, our cleanliness and our team. I am so sorry to hear that you were sick during your stay with us. I can only imagine how awful that must have been. We have corrected the error on the UNCA directions. Thank you so much for bringing the error to our attention. I cannot apologize enough about the unsatisfactory breakfast experience. I am shocked that one of our breakfast attendants would act in such an unacceptable way. I have addressed it with all of our breakfast team members but I would love to have more information so that I can address it with the team member specifically. We do stand behind our 100% Hampton guarantee and I would be happy to refund your nights stay. We focus on service and I apologize that our team member chose not to share that focus. Thank you so much for your feedback. It will help us to improve in the future. I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Asheville.

Andrea Coon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Wytheville, Virginia
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed one night, 2-22-13, and overall I enjoyed the experience. The room was thankfully quite, even when the air was on, and I didn't hear any other guests. Everything was very clean.

There were a few things that had been overlooked that made me think the $139.00 price was a bit steep. One, the mattress was pretty thin and didn't offer much support. Two, I was disappointed that the mattress was not sealed in a bag-it just had a standard mattress pad. Three, the shower drain was REALLY slow. All in all, a recently renovated hotel with a lot going for it, and I would probably stay there again, just not for $139.00.

Oh, and if the hotel is reading this, I personally think that your advertising about clean sheets, including post-it notes on the headboards notifying me that the sheets were clean, sends the wrong advertising message. I would expect clean sheets in a place like this, and would have never given it a second thought.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am very grateful of your compliments about the cleanliness. Due to Asheville being a destination area our rates do fluctuate depending on the season with weekend rates typically being higher than weekday rates. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our mattresses and that the tub drained slowly. I will definitely have our maintenance team look at the room you stayed in. The Hampton brand released the post it notes for hotel use in effort to advertise that the duvet covers and all bed linens are clean and fresh for each guest's arrival. There are still many hotel brands that do not wash their comforters and we want to assure our guests that we do. I am very grateful for your feedback. We will use it as a tool to improve our product and service. Thank you for being our guest. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you on your next trip to Asheville.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We spent last weekend here for the 5th time and each stay has been more than we could ask for in a hotel. We have actually stayed at several other hotels which include the Grove Park Inn, Residences at Biltmore, Courtyard by Marriott located in the Asheville area which each of these are good establishments in their own right but the staff at Hampton Inn Tunnel Road is what makes our stay extra special. They go out of their way to make sure that all of their guests are comfortable and happy. The rooms are very clean as is the whole hotel and you can tell the staff takes pride in their work. They are genuine in their efforts to help in any way that they can including special request for breakfast items or providing the shuttle service!

Room Tip: prefer the double queen rooms but king size rooms are nice also
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for being a loyal guest. I really appreciate your warm compliments of our hotel and especially our team. I am very proud to work with such a great group of people. We understand how important vacation time is and really try to create experiences for our guests. Thank you for posting so many great photos. They will help other travelers to see our place before booking. I am grateful for your loyalty and I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Millbrook, Alabama
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Good location near several restaurants and a mall. It is only about ten minutes from the Biltmore Estates and is close to the interstate highways. There is no left turn out of the motel onto Tunnel Street so this can be a problem for access to the interstates. The pool and exercise rooms were spacious and well maintained.

Room Tip: Handicap room was very well done but were a little noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that our location met your needs during your visit. We love having such a great location. The city has made a left turn out of the drive illegal but because of our proximity to I-240 the interstate can be accessed by taking a right as well. I appreciate your compliments on our pool and fitness center. I am glad that you took the time to enjoy it. I appreciate you being our guest and hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Asheville.

Charlotte
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stay at this hotel about once a month for business purposes and always receive great service. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The only drawbacks in this hotel are that there is ony one elevator, and when there is high occupancy- you can wait for a good minute before you get onto the elevator and to your room. Also, the driveway is up a steep hill and during inclement weather (as happens often in the NC mountains), it is a little treacherous making your way in and out of the driveway.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review and for being a loyal guest with us. We are grateful for your business. I appreciate your compliments of our team and our rooms. We do have two elevators; one on each end of the building. Recently we have had several reviews stating that we only have one elevator. I am very grateful that this has been brought to our attention so that we can do a better job informing our guests of both elevators at check in. The elevator on the lobby side of the hotel is very busy and I can understand how that would be frustrating. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can improve. Thank you for being our guest! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 21 February 2013

It's not a very new hotel, but very well maintained. The staff was awesome, the breakfast was very good, with waffle, bread, yogurt, fruit salad, etc.
The room was great too, great bed. My problems: do not stay at room #522. Because the super annoying noise coming from the pool fans and because the fan in the bathroom does not work.
One night I had to close my bathroom door ad call the front desk because the guest next door was smoking (the hotel is entirely non-smoking). The smell continued the whole night, turned the shower twice to see if the steam would solve my problem. The fan had no effect.
The front desk talked to the infamous guest and called me back. But the smell continued.
Despite the incident it was a decent 4 night stay.

Room Tip: don't stay at room 522
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I appreciate your compliments on our awesome staff, our breakfast and beds. I am very sorry to hear about the disappointments during your stay. I am having my maintenance team look into why the bathroom vent in your room did not work and look at the fans on the pool roof. I am grateful that you brought these issues to our attention so that we can resolve them for future guests. It is the feedback from our guests that give us the opportunities to improve. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on future visits to Asheville. Thank you again! We hope to see you soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My husband and I visited Asheville the first week of February. We received great service from Tammy when we checked in and Reggie was so helpful with his resturant recommendation to Creekside, a local Bar-B-Que joint. The room was nice and very clean. Sorry, I don't know the name of the breakfast attendant for the morning of the 5th and 6th but she was fantasic. Thanks for a great stay! Caroline

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I really appreciate your compliments of Tammy, Reggie and our breakfast hostess. They go out of their way to take care of our guests and I am proud to work with them. I love to hear about positive experiences that our guests have with team members. I will be sure to share your review with them and make sure they are recognized for excellent service. We hope to see you on your next trip to the Asheville area!