“Overpriced for average room, and rude maid service”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was a mix of good and bad. The room itself was nice, but seemed to be an average Hampton Inn room, but at twice the cost one might expect pay for it. The folks at check in were nice and the check-in went smoothly. After checking in we had to wait a bit to get to our floor because the hotel has only one elevator servicing the building. The wait for an elevator wasn't too long, but I did wonder why just one elevator for an entire hotel. Once we got to the room, the room itself was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is not within walking distance of anything downtown Asheville, but does offer a shuttle service. I highly advise not counting on the shuttle service. It is only a small van and when I was going to sign up to use the shuttle it was booked for an hour out. I wisely decided to just take my own car downtown and easily found a parking garage. Asheville is a nice city and we had a good visit to the nearby Biltmore Mansion on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I did not get time to use the pool or enjoy the hot breakfast so I cannot comment on those amenities. I have no reason to think either would have been less than first class. Since the room was clean and comfortable, I could have easily given it a 4 rating had it not been for the housekeeping staff. I paid over $200.00 for one night in this room and the check-out time was supposed to be 12:00 noon. At just after 10:00 am, even though I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door, the housekeeper was knocking on the door yelling "housekeeping". When I told her through the door that we needed more time she went away, but I could hear her telling the other housekeeper that she would be done for the day once my room was finished. I don't feel the housekeeper should be knocking on my door before check-out time when I have a "do not disturb" sign on my door...especially when I'm paying well over what the room is worth to start with. To put the price of this room in perspective, as I am writing this review, I'm staying in a name brand hotel just outside Washington DC for just over half the price this Hampton Inn room cost me in Asheville, North Carolina. I was also able to stay in an almost identical room at a Hampton Inn in Carlsbad, California, just a short drive from the beach for less than this room in Asheville, North Carolina. Combine the high price for an average Hampton room (not a suite) with the housekeeping staff ignoring my "do not disturb" sign on the door and I can't in good conscious give my stay better than a 3 rating.

Room Tip: There really isn't a view of anything from the back of the hotel. I cannot comment on what migh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. First, I would like to apologize that housekeeping knocked on your door before check-out time. You are absolutely right. That is against our policy and should not have happened. I will address this with my entire housekeeping staff. I have extended the 100% Hampton guarantee and reversed the charges on your credit card for the night that you stayed with us. You should see the credit on your next statement. Second, we do have two elevators; One at each end of the building. Our front desk generally points guests in the direction of the elevator closest to their room. Lastly, our rates are very competitive with comparable hotels in our market. As a destination area it is difficult to compare our rates to hotels in other markets that have business demands. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on future visits to Asheville. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Andrea Coon
(828) 255-9220

Reviewed 4 May 2014

After a 7 hour drive from DC we found ourselves surrounded by a very professional and caring staff that not only ushered us to our room but also provided us with dining tips... Asheville is famous for its many and varied restaurants. We followed the lead of the Inn's resident "foodie" and were shuttled off to exactly what we were expecting. The shuttle then provided transport back to the Inn. As expected with a Hampton property, the room was spacious and clean.
We will stay here again on our next adventure and explore another restaurant. The Inn is easily accessible from the interstate system.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marieandjefftravel
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Marie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We are very fortunate to have some of the best staff in Asheville. They are extremely knowledgeable about their city and love to give great recommendations to local restaurants. I see you took advantage of our courtesy shuttle - one of the many amenities we offer to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to Asheville. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here for a night as we were driving up to Kentucky to camp. We decided to splurge for vacation and get a nicer hotel. You can really tell the difference. Fist off, just to let you know, there is big enough parking for a trailer. The parking lot felt very safe to leave it over night too.
We had been driving all day and we have a 5, 3 & 1 year old. They were pretty wound when we got out of the car. This did not faze the front desk lady. I believe her name was Jess. She was Awesome! She interacted with my kids so well and made us feel so welcomed. Our room was very nice and clean.. They even claim to wash the bedspreads every night! I love it!
We hit the pool that evening. It was nice. a little small maybe. We couldn't really swim around because of the amount of people in it. The hot tub was nice.
The breakfast the next morning was great! I love hotel waffles and they had them! Their eggs and biscuits were great too.
If the price is right I would stay at a Hampton anytime again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank QMastaD

Hello!
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review about our property! Your family was such a pleasure to have with us. I absolutely loved your children! Kids don't faze us at all here at the Hampton Inn Tunnel Road - we are all just big kids at heart. I am so happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of the pool as well as the breakfast! We try very hard to ensure that every guest has the best stay possible, and I look forward to seeing you and your beautiful family again soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

ASK ROOM 111
This room is Disabled
This spacious huge room
Suitable for large families (5-6 persons live comfortably in this room)
Reasonable food
Free parking
Internet in room and public areas
Excellent location - close to downtown
The city itself is very nice and pleasant
We loved our stay there

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yaron H

Yaron,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of several of our amenities - the free breakfast, free parking, and free wireless internet access. We have a great location and I am glad it was convenient to your needs. Might I suggest on your next stay with us you take advantage of our free courtesy shuttle that will take you into downtown? Also our indoor pool and hot tub are very popular with the children. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very pleased with our recent stay. Although we were't able to get a room in downtown due to the music festival, this worked out perfectly. Callie at the front desk gave us some great recommendations for shopping for my wife and daughters. She even drove the shuttle dropping the ladies off at their shopping destination and me at the brewpub. She was very friendly and informative - like having our own personal Asheville tour guide. It couldn't have been any more convenient as we called when we were done and she picked us back up. The hotel was updated and the room was clean with very comfortable beds and pillows. I'd recommend a stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 16ozIPA

Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We are very proud of our team and appreciate your compliments of them! Calli is great and is a huge asset to our team. I am very happy to see that you took advantage of one of our most popular amenities - our free shuttle. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you all again very soon. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for 4 nights and it was a great experience. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful, the free shuttle service within a 5 mile radius was wonderful and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was just OK, same offerings every day, but the staff kept refilling everything. You are only about a mile from downtown, and a straight shot if you take a right out of the road. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank bonniegal57

Bonnie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I see you took advantage of several of our amenities such as our free hot breakfast and our courtesy shuttle service. We are very lucky to have some of the best staff in Asheville. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just wanted to share our wonderful experience during a recent stay. Visited Asheville with family for the Christmas Candlelight Tour of Biltmore just after the first of the year. Jessica Jacks, Assistant General Manager was gracious and kind and went out of her way to ensure that our stay was like staying with family. She succeeded! When back in Asheville, we will most definitely be staying at this Hampton Inn. Highly recommend to anyone coming to the area. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank trishyrich

Trish,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our property. I am so happy to see that we were able to exceed your expectations and your visit with family and to the Biltmore was enjoyable! Thank you for your kind words. I try to make sure every guest is completely satisfied and has the best stay possible when at our property. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!