“Great location”

Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great location”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Clean rooms and eating area. Great location if you are going to the Biltmore House. Priced like a 5 star but just a well kept Holiday Inn Express. Next door is a Fairfield that had a better rate. Breakfast is a typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
ejpettigrew, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Asheville, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your review. I agree that we have a great location with a lot of hotels and local restaurants close by. We are all a little different from each other which is great for the guests. Please come back soon and enjoy the Asheville area. Best regards, Ellen Pettigrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Northern, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed on June 21st 2013. We had booked a one night stay through the Holiday Inn express website, which I would've trusted until now. I noticed during the booking my choice of 1 or 2 beds wasn't offered. This not being a huge deal it was still concerning as we checked in we were given 2 queens and was told there was no other beds available in the entire hotel.
As we checked in, we noticed the hotel downstairs was clean and presentable. We entered on the side of the hotel and it was game on! There was loud people walking and talking throughout the hallways, it was 10pm when we checked in. We got to our room and while walking in, a older lady, who we believed had complained about the kids next to us had her door open and was trying to see who was causing the noises. A staff member was at the end of the hallway- we don't believe he addressed the issue.. The parents did address it and that settled that. We did notice throughout the night that we could still hear everything and everyone outside.
Several times throughout the night, we were awakened by the refrigerator which was vibrating and making a horrible sound. Not fun.
The shampoo and soap supplied by the hotel is not helpful either. We suggest that if you forget your soap, go out in town and buy. We did not have an ironing board or iron in our room.
Finally, we had a horrible interaction with the cleaning staff at 915 in the morning. As we were getting ready, we heard a very soft knock and no announcement to which a Hispanic female used her room key and entered. I immediately started speaking to her in Spanish and was able to find out what was going on. She stated that there was a misunderstanding and that our room was suppose to be empty. Regardless, having someone of hotel staff enter our room unannounced and when we were not "prepared" is highly embarrassing for me and my wife as well as concerning for safety and integrity. And finally, the mattresses were not comfortable, they were all spring mattresses and we felt like we were on a trampoline.
On a positive note!!!
We did enjoy our balcony which we could walk out on. the shower water pressure and size of the bath was good. We were impressed with the breakfast bar, which is free, and we enjoyed the day staff when we checked out- which we found out there's "express" check out. The TV is our final review, great channels and awesome picture; a big screen with a crisp clean look.

Overall, we will stay at a Holiday Inn Express again. Would we stay at this specific hotel again? I can't say that we would at this time. The negatives outweigh the positives and we just can't see spending $160 dollars a night for such stuff..

Please consider reviewing all the hotels in the area before making your decision.
**We did not take any pictures of this hotel**

Room Tip: Make sure you make reservations with a live operator or through a special website. We were lost and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis_Maggie_NKY
ejpettigrew, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Asheville, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the noise level was disturbing. Our front desk would have handled the other guests if informed. Thank you for commenting on the positive features of our hotel. We would love to have you return again! Warmest regards, Ellen Pettigrew, Manager
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We had to stay in the area for a week ... this place suit our needs nicely. We got a king bed suite which is a king bed in one big room. "Suite" makes it sound bigger, doesn't it? Still, it was nice cause there were two desks (tables) which made it convenient for my companion and me to set up our computers. I could warm up my leftover food in the microwave, and we could keep our drinks/food in the mini fridge.

The staff were very friendly. Love their accents (they probably would say, "What accent?").

We usually don't have our room cleaned every day (we reuse our towels) but the day we wanted it cleaned (just after 12 noon), it was hard to communicate with the housekeeper. I saw her in the hallway, approached her, said to her, "Could you please clean Room 501 today?" At first she looked at me with a big question mark on her face and then she said, "Jes". One hour and a half later I looked down the hallway and it was empty ... no cleaning cart, no one around. I don't think she could understand English maybe? I called the front desk and asked if housekeeping was done for the day. If they were done for the day, then I would just wait till the next day. No big deal. Within five minutes, a housekeeper was knocking on my door. I was so surprised. That was fast service.

Room Tip: Always get a room on the top floor and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
ejpettigrew, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Asheville, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
We have a great staff. They have been with us for years and enjoy working here. I know location and condition of a hotel is important but it really comes down to good consistent guest service. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and please come back soon. Thank you for staying! Ellen Pettigrew
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Not sure what I was expecting, the lobby was pretty nice and the breakfast buffet was pretty good. Room was just average, obviously needs some updating. Let's just say there was a peculiar odor upon going into the room that I could not distinguish. The carpet looked like it had seen better days and I suspect that it was the cause of the smell. Bed was just okay, again every time I stay at a Holiday Inn, their beds seem to sag in certain areas. Was okay for one night, but would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
I am sorry that your stay wasn't the best. We will be changing out all the carpeting and beds during our slow season. Please come back and stay with us again! Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Sincerely, Ellen Pettigrew
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We needed a hotel close to the interstate and that wouldn't break the bank. The HIE fit the bill nicely. The staff was courteous, the room priced right, and the accomodations more than sufficient. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pastorrob7
I am glad you like our location. Our hotel is the best for being near I-40 and I-26 interstates but without the noise! All the attractions are within a 15 minute drive. Thank you for your comments and come back soon. Sincerely, Ellen Pettigrew
Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We called from the Blue Ridge Parkway to make a reservation. The gentleman said there rooms were all filled but he could make a reservation at another local Holiday Inn. We agreed. I gave him my credit card number 5 times before he entered it correctly. We arrived at Holiday Inn Biltmore East where he had said we had a reservation. We had no reservation there. He had not given me a confirmation number. When I called back to ask where he had made our reservation - I was told they couldn't help me if i couldn't give them the confirmation number. The man said I should call around and ask if they had my name. Thankfully, the Holiday Inn Bilmore East was awesome! They resolved the issue for us and provided a 1st rate stay at an awesome hotel with outstanding customer service. Go to Biltmore East - don't waste your time with the poorly run Express location.

Room Tip: Dont go near this place!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PamfromOhio
ejpettigrew, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Asheville, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
I am truly sorry about the confusion regarding your reservation. When you called our hotel the first time you went directly to Holiday Inn Central Reservation call center. They made your reservation for you. Individual hotels do not have the capability to make reservations at another hotel. When you called back the second time you did talk to one of our front desk agents but all he could do is give you the central reservation number to find the hotel where you were booked.
Once again I am so sorry for the confusion and I am surprised that central reservation did not give you a confirmation number. Sincerely, Ellen Pettigrew
Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Asheville tends to be a pricey area for hotel rooms and this HI Express provides a little relief. The Express is packed into tight lot next to several other motels. The grounds are mostly asphalt but the building itself is nicely built. We had a comfortable king bed room with typical ammenities plus a small refrigerator. A microwave would have been a nice added touch, but the room did not have one. The room had a very nice view of the western Carolina mountains which was a welcomed touch. The Express is located fairly close to downtown Asheville as well as the Biltmore Estate. The entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway was just a couple of miles down SR 191 which is outside the door of the hotel. The North Carolina Arboretum is also located at the entrance to the Parkway and well worth a visit. There were shopping areas and a number of restaurants located very close to this hotel. The Express was in very good condition and it provides a very nice breakfast for its guests. We were there for 3 nights and they did vary the selection for the hot foods at breakfast. It was certainly adequate for most travelers. Some rooms had small balconies, but our room did not (there are 5 floors to the hotel and those balconies were restricted to the first 2 or 3 floors). Also, no one with a balcony room seemed to use the balcony at least not while we were looking. The only disadvantage of the hotel was that it was not in any of the tourist areas of Asheville and getting to a tourist area did require a brief car ride down an interstate. However, the cost savings at this hotel for a multi-day stay was significant compared to alternatives. There was also a supermarket close by as well as a shopping mall-- although that shopping mall appeared to have several vacant stores. I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I visit Asheville in the future.

Room Tip: As for an odd numbered room-- the odd numbered rooms face the mountains where the even numbered room...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for recognizing that our hotel offers a fair rate to our guests. We want you to come back again and again! Please have a wonderful summer and we hope to see you soon. Warmest regards, Ellen Pettigrew