“Disappointing for a Marriott Courtyard”

Courtyard Asheville
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed here overnight while driving through North Carolina. Our plan was to stop, let the kids swim and get some rest for the night. As a Marriott Rewards member we choose to stay at this location since Marriott had it listed as a Category 4 hotel and used our points for a free night. Check in was easy and the lobby was nice and looked newly redecorated. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the staff advised a rewards upgrade was not available due to their suites only having 1 king bed. Our room was mediocre. My first disappointment was when I realized that this Courtyard does not have rooms with 2 Queen beds but instead only doubles. The room was standard and in fair shape. It appears they've tried to upgrade the room by adding some new paint and pictures to the walls but the rooms seemed very old & outdated. An example of this would be the air/heat unit - this was an older unit where there is no thermostat to control the temp but instead a fan, heat & air switch on the unit. The beds were very uncomfortable and just an old room. We used the pool which was on the small side but the kids enjoyed it. After being in the car all day I was really looking forward to relaxing in the hot tub. To my surprise the water in the hot tub was bright green & there was no sign anywhere indicating it was out of order - very disturbing however before we left the next morning a sign was eventually posted stating the spa was closed for repairs. We also found an old used snck wrapper that was on the floor in our room. Not sure how this was missed by housekeeping but makes me wonder what else they missed? All in all, other than the remodeled lobby the hotel was not up to par for a Courtyard by Marriott and my husband & I were very disappointed that we wasted 20,000 pts at this hotel. Marriott should be aware that this is NOT a category 4 hotel and definately not worth 20,000 rewards pts but more like 7,500.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Love_Family_VayCays
JackM-GM, General Manager at Courtyard Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thank you for providing feedback concerning your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry that you did not find the hotel up to your standards. Please accept my apology if there was any misunderstanding when you made your reservation about what type of beds we offer. Our website clearly states double beds or king-size beds. We also state the same when calling the hotel direct. I hope that Marriott is providing the same information whenever you call the toll-free number to make reservations. Our rooms were renovated 3 years ago that included all new furniture, carpeting wall coverings as well as mattresses. I am sorry that you found the beds uncomfortable. The mattresses are approved by Marriott and are Serta Perfect Sleeper in their Corporate Suite line. This same decor package is still being installed in Courtyards today. With regards to the hot tub and the green appearance, that was coming from a cast from the walls. We took the hot tub down the morning of your departure, as we had it scheduled to be completely overhauled with a new finish and tile to the walls and floor. It is back up in operation 3 days later. I have spoken to the Executive Housekeeper about the used snack wrapper you found in your room. All of our rooms are inspected after they are cleaned prior to a new guest checking in. The inspector that day obviously did not do a thorough job inspecting that room. I apologize for their carelessness in that regard. Regarding the catagory rating from Marriott, there are many factors that go into that rating, including the amount of Reward redemptions at each hotel. Our hotel is a "high-redemption" hotel which causes the catagory to be higher than you might expect. We appreciate you being a Rewards member and look forward to your continued use of Marriott Hotels.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, the hotel is located away from any road noise and the first two nights the peace was wonderful, unfortunately on the third night the people in the neighboring room were partying and woke us several times. I finally called down to the front desk, they obviously went to the room and requested they quietened down. They called me after a few minutes to ask if the noise was gone, which it was. Unfortunately the noise started again after a couple of hours, I was too tired to call the front desk again! The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel as a whole was very clean and nicely presented. My children used the swimming pool which was small but adequate, there's a hot tub too. The hotel is not downtown but close enough, there is a bistro in the hotel but we seemed to keep missing breakfast, even on the weekends breakfast was over by 10:00am, we missed it by minutes! There is a Carrabas next door and an IHOP and Waffle House within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Asheville. I appreciate your kind remarks about the hotel. Please accept my apology for the noise you encountered from the room next door. It is nice to know that when you notified the front desk, the desk clerk responded. Had you notified us again, we could have taken more stringent measures to get these other guests to discontinue with their noise disturbance. I am sorry you were too late to enjoy our Bistro. As all the food is prepared to order, I suspect you would have enjoyed it.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while on vacation in Asheville. While I wished it was downtown, it was still convenient to the downtown area, and only a 10 minute drive into downtown via Tunnel Road. Did not eat at hotel Bistro but several restaurants close by (there is a Carrabas in the same parking area as hotel, but did not eat there). As a foodie, I ate in the Downtown area, except for breakfast one day at nearby IHOP. Room was fine...some noise from above, but not bad. Only complaint was not enough shampoo for 2 people, and no lotion. Towels were thin, but I heard they are upgrading towels. I am loyal to Marriott, and this is a typical Courtyard property.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JackM-GM, General Manager at Courtyard Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard while you were visiting Asheville. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Had you inquired we would always provide additional shampoo, and lotion as well. We have received our first case of new, heavier towels. When we are all done, our towels will be the same as you would find in a full-service Marriott. We look forward to your return whenever you are in Asheville again.

Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

The good: friendly staff. Typical rooms. Clean. Nice bistro for a relaxing small meal.

The bad: walls in the rooms are paper thin. You can easily hear conversations in neighboring rooms, noise from the halls etc. Towels are thin and minimal. Overall quality of the building is like a cheap budget motel.

Look elsewhere if you want a quiet room.

• Stayed: March 2013
JackM-GM, General Manager at Courtyard Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Asheville. I appreciate the kind words about our staff and the atmosphere about the Bistro. Our current towels, as specified by Marriott are being upgraded to the same towels that you will find in a full service Marriott hotel. These are larger and of a heavier weight. I am sorry that you encountered noise issues while you were here. During our next renovation I hope to address this and to make our rooms more sound proof. Thanks again for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott during your visit to Asheville. It would be our priviledge to provide you with your overnight accommodations the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

the staff is very friendly and speak to you every time coming and going, it is located very close to downtown. rooms were clean and plenty of onsite parking. it is located away from traffic noise and recommended for a quite night sleep

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JackM-GM, General Manager at Courtyard Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and especially the staff. It is always nice to get positive feedback from satisfied guests that we are doing what we should be doing! We appreciate you staying with us while in Asheville and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

The staff was very friendly, pleasant and professional. The room was clean and the hotel seemed to be well maintained. I personally did not care for the mattress, it was hard and the pillows were too flat. While we appreciated the professional service and cleanliness of the hotel, we did not rest well.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JackM-GM, General Manager at Courtyard Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you for staying with us and your kind words about the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the mattress or pillows. We are in the process of replacing all of our pillows. Had you let us know that you wanted different pillows, we could have provided them to you. The hardness of the mattress certainly is a personal choice. Whenever we replace them, I will be looking into a "softer" mattress than what we currently have.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I would like to thank Dave for providing an intuitive service during our stay. He's been very polite and helpful. ;-) I wish all the Marriott properties have such a great employees like him. Such a great attitude and since I'm an employee of Marriott, you would never expect that he will treat you like a platinum member. A lot if times when I travel and everytime I check in some front desk employee will not treat you like any other guest just bec they know you are an employee on other Marriott hotel property.
He's awesome and would definitely come back because of how he treat us. Everything else follows. Our room is clean and the guy that works at the bistro is Really nice as well wish I remember his name. Thanks Dave for everything! Will see u again soon! ;-)

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks for all you kind words about Dave at the Front Desk. The associate in the Bistro is Davin. Your review will be shared with all of our staff. Come back and see us again!