“A frequent destination”

Dining options: Reservations
Johnson City, Tennessee
“A frequent destination”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This place is a frequent destination for us, especially for a fun very good hibachi meal. To start they are located in a decent part of town close by to other attractions. Although the cooking quality is chef dependent but most of the time their food is consistently very good if not delicious.The show is your typical fire and knives routine. Admittedly I have seen more exciting performances but the general atmosphere is filled with excitement and fun. They have renovated part of the restaurant and they now have two dining areas, which makes seating very reasonable. They maintain a good general hygiene and the restrooms are clean. Will definitely keep going there and would recommend it.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank LB-Was-Here

• Korean first
“My place for sushi”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

First of all as a local this was my first foray into the world of sushi 10yrs ago. Since then I've had sushi in many major us cities and Ichiban is as good as any, but I'm no expert. With regard to the hibachi grill, same story, it's as good as any. Richard is one of the owners and is on site most times when I'm there. Never an issue with quality or service in 12yrs. If in Asheville and need a sushi fix then this is the place.

• Visited April 2014
canfield
“your normal Hibachi”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nothing special here, same as any other hibachi place. It smelled of gas when we got there and had to ask if there was a leak. The food was just okay.

Visited April 2014
Asheville, North Carolina
“Worst Meal Ever”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here last night. Awful. As a local, I will never recommend this restaurant. Tried to explain to the manager about my bad tasting meal and he kept arguing that he sells tons of shrimp daily and there is no way mine was bad. I didn't like the soup, salad or entree, which was obvious as I didn't eat but one bite. He couldn't stop focusing on the fact that my husband ate his steak when I was telling him it was MY shrimp and obvious remaining full plate that I did not eat. He was so rude. I cannot tell you how awful that meal was or how bandit was that my husband and I were up all night sick. The way the situation was handled was appalling. We will be call the business bureau today.

Visited March 2014
“Not quite Japanese, but Good Food”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Having lived and worked in Japan for several years I have been skeptical about trying what Asheville has to offer in terms of Japanese, so a friend (who is Japanese) and I decided to try Ichiban for lunch. As I mentioned in the title to my review, it is not the most authentic Japanese restaurant, but a close approximation and we did enjoy our meal there. Upon entering we were given a choice of a regular table or what they called a "cooking table" which is like a Japanese tapanyaki table where the chef cooks your meal in front of you. We opted for the regular table. We started off with a bottle of Morimoto Soba Ale to get us ready for the Japanese fare to come and it made a good addition to our meal ( though it is brewed in Oregon!). We were first brought a bowl of a clear consommé soup with mushrooms and chopped scallions. This was a nice start to the meal. Then came our entrees: I had the hibachi scallop plate which arrived with 4 good sized scallops and a huge portion of mixed veggies(mostly sweet carrots, but zucchini, mushrooms, and onions were also present) and a big serving of fried rice. The scallops were cooked excellently. I was also brought 2 sauces for my scallops: one seemed to be a creamy sesame mayonnaise based sauce and the other seemed to be a gingery teriyaki sauce. Our server did not explain what the sauces were, but I am equally at fault for not asking! My friend had the shrimp and veggie bento box which had 2 large tempura shrimp and a nice selection of tempura veggies: acorn squash, sweet potato,broccoli, and onion. The bento also came with California rolls, steamed rice, and sliced orange sections. The food was very good and there was plenty of it. While I don't quite feel like I was transported back to Japan, this is a very good Asian restaurant and I will return.

Visited January 2014