We have been permanently traveling for almost 2 years so we have stayed in a wide variety of accommodations ---- hotels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and inns --- and Asheville Swiss Chalets is amongst the best, especially for those traveling with dogs.
We stayed in the Beau Cottage, a petite two bedroom, one bath house (approximately 1200 square feet, we estimated), with a fenced in yard and deck. The house was pristine and fully equipped, down to extra light bulbs, batteries, washing detergent, and tupperware containers. You really don't need to bring anything other than your clothes and toiletry items (and they even have shampoo, soap, and conditioner, in case you forget yours). The house was beautifully decorated and we received two cookies from the Well Bred bakery as our welcome present.
The only negative to the house was that you don't get views of the mountains but it is surrounded by a lot of trees, meaning that it feels very secluded. Also, there is a very bright light right outside the bedroom. It wasn't a huge deal but it would have been nice if they had darker curtains to block out that light.
The location is fantastic, at about 3-minutes from downtown Asheville, 10 minutes to Biltmore Estate, and 20 minutes to Bent Creek and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
On the pet-friendly side, we were very impressed that they included a small gate to enclose off the fence, pet towels, a pet blanket for the sofas, and a list describing dog parks. On the negative side, there is no good place to walk your dogs in the immediate vicinity of the house because the road is quite steep and has many blind curves. We wished that the Swiss Chalets had a dog park area that all of the residents could use.
That being said, there are incredible pet-friendly walks and hikes within a 5-15 minute drive but you need to know that these places exist because otherwise it's easy to end up at the two main dog parks (Azalea and French Broad - Azalea is by far better and larger but neither dog park is particularly fantastic). If you travel with your dog and enjoy taking him/her for walks, I highly recommend visiting:
- Biltmore Estate (the best easy walks in the area for dogs);
- Bent Creek Experimental Forest (loved this walk but mind the bikers on the weekends and evenings)
- Blue Ridge Parkway - there are tons of hikes on the Blue Ridge Pkwy but the best thing to do is to get onto the Pkwy and go toward the South. You can stop anywhere by the side of the road and start walking. The Southern part of the Asheville stretch of the Blue Ridge has less steep trails, making it a better option for canine hikers.
All that being said, if you have the time, the one hike I would absolutely recommend with your dogs is the Max Patch. On a clear day, pack a picnic, get the dogs in the car, and drive the hour to the NC/TN border. Google Max Patch to get directions but, suffice it to say that this is our favorite dog-friendly hike in the United States. Not only is it incredibly safe for dogs with very few steep turn-offs, the entire path is carpeted in lush green grass making it a joy for dogs to romp, and the views at the top made us feel like we were at the top of the world.
All in all, you can't go wrong staying at the Asheville Swiss Chalets, whether you travel with or without your canine companion. We highly recommend it and will certainly stay with them again when we are in the Asheville area. (If you're interested in reading more about our Asheville experiences, you can find reviews at http://theroadunleashed.com - our dog + travel blog).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Asheville Swiss Chalets offers pet-friendly and serene standalone cabins nestled in a woodland setting, with casual elegance and all the conveniences of home. We are located on Beaucatcher Mountain just 5 minutes from vibrant Downtown Asheville, close to many popular breweries, nightlife and award winning restaurants, yet close enough to enjoy the beautiful outdoors with the many waterfalls and hiking trails nearby. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Asheville Swiss Chalets Hotel Asheville