“A perfect retreat!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Asheville Swiss Chalets
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I wanted a little time away with my dog and felt that Asheville was just the place to explore. I found the Asheville Swiss Chalets and knew it would be the perfect spot for us to stay. I was very pleased to find it as charming and comfortable as I had hoped. The staff was very helpful and the cottage was well equipped. You feel miles away from the city but you are just 3 miles from downtown. Very quite and peaceful. A great home base for exploring all that Asheville has to offer. I liked it so much I extended my stay for two more days! I will return.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the upper Berne over 4th of July weekend and were really pleased we did! Wow it was nicer than our house in some ways! Beautiful furnishings, and all the amenities one could ask for. There was no fuss in us checking in or leaving as we just use the secure door code to get in. It seemed very remote, but you quickly end up near grocery stores and restaurants with about 3 mins of driving. We got there on 4th of July which was a little scary because of the extreme weather. Getting up and down the steep roads and hills can be a little harrowing in wet or I imagine snowy weather. Still, despite the scary storms and flooding, we stayed high and dry and enjoyed our chalet thoroughly. We will be back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jstclair
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Geneva Chalet for part of our honeymoon, the moment we walked in we were absolutely taken with it's charm! It's small but perfect!!! The location couldn't have been any better, you feel like your in the mountains, miles from the city but in reality the downtown area is only a 3 minute drive! Judy has without a doubt thought of every detail in making the chalets feel like home, and whatever you do...DON"T skip going to her bakery in Weaverville!!!! We weren't going to because we didn't have a lot of extra time but I so badly wanted to meet Judy and tell her in person how much we loved our stay at the chalets so we stopped in before heading out on our last morning and boy am I glad we did! The food is amazing! We have been home for a month and can't stop talking about our time in Asheville, we will be going back as soon as possible and we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but the Swiss Chalets, I keep telling everyone they need to visit that city and when they do I have just the place for them to stay!!!

P.S. The bed was super comfy and everything was very clean :)
(Judy we were sad we didn't end up getting to meet you in person when we stopped at the cafe, thank you for making the second half of our honeymoon unforgettable!!!!)

Room Tip: OOOPS, I didn't mean to click on the one about the swimming pool, there wasn't one but if th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Our original plans were to find a cabin in the woods to get away from it all. Then when we realized just how much there was to do in Asheville and the surrounding area, we were so happy we selected Swiss Chalets for our vacation. We'd look off our balcony into the trees as if we were in a tree house. Yet we were 2 miles from downtown Asheville and the interstate. We loved that they were pet friendly, so our dog Blue came along. The chalet was set up with pet conveniences and the neighborhood had poop bag dispensers throughout. Dog walking was a slight challenge as there just isn't much shoulder to the roads, and it goes from asphalt to forest brush immediately. Towards the end of the week Blue learned the spots where she needed to take care of business. Our chalet offered a small fenced in pet area for quick potty breaks, but the rain (thus mud) and slope of the space really made it unusable for our pet.

We selected the Alpine chalet for our summer trip, and it was cozy for 2 adults plus a dog. Furniture was very nice. It came with cable TV, wireless internet, & central air. It was well maintained and clean.

Judy kindly left us cookies from her bakery, and we HIGHLY recommend driving 15 minutes to Weaverville to visit her Well Bred Bakery. We had the triple salad plate with a kale, beet, and potato salads, and they were some of the tastiest salads I've ever eaten. The sweet treats were just as delicious. Go river rafting with Huck Finn in Hot Springs and stop there on your way back to town!

Overall, I'd choose Swiss Chalets again. If you're looking for pure escapism then you might want to choose something out of town. You won't get total seclusion here, but you will get a lovely chalet in the trees waking up to song birds & refreshing cool mornings (I can't believe it's July!!).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bone3371
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the Chalets back in June 2013 and we were more than happy with everything that the Chalet had to offer. We stayed at the Matterhorn chalet and it was the perfect place. We will definitely be back and we're already planning our next trip. The chalet is close to all the local attractions and restaurants including the Well Bred Cafe and Bakery in Weaverville, which is a definite must. I highly recommend this wonderful oasis.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed in the lower berne chalet with three adults and three large dogs.
Pros:
1. King Bed that was comfortable
2. nice compact design that maximized space
3. large screened porch
4. Dog lot where the dogs can potty with a poop scooper for easy poop removal. The lot is fenced up to about 5 feet with thick wire so the dogs can't jump over or push through.
5. The great view and breeze. This cabin is surrounded by trees and gets a nice breeze because of the high elevation.
6. Comes with a designed parking spot
7. Nice amenties (cable, internet, shampoo/conditioner, plates, towels, coffee, paper towels, napkins, disposable plates, silverware, etc)
8. Dog Friendly with biscuits, dog towels, extra bowl
9. Cookies and coupon for well-bred bakery.
10. ONLY Three minutes to downtown asheville Tunnel Road (east asheville).

Cons:
1. This is a duplex so there are renters above you. We had four adults on a completely different sleep schedule than we were (they were up before 6am stomping around every day). Check if upper berne is rented and bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
2. Tiny shower stall. The stall has glass doors that both have to be closed to turn on the water or you soak the bathroom, but then it is very difficult to get into the shower stall by only opening one of the doors if you are larger sized.
3. The bathroom is small with a huge closet. I don't think you need that big of a closet for a few days.
4. The only AC is a window unit in the living room. It cools the living room but didn't really cool the bedroom. We could have left the sliding door open to the screen porch but we didn't want the dogs to bark and bother the neighbors.

Things to know:
Dog limit is 3, but they can't sleep on the bed, but they can get on the couch (with the cover). Also, depending on the size of the three, you might get some concerns from the owner or manager. Great location. Fair price,especially for dog friendly lodging.

Room Tip: Lower Berne is great if you have dogs and no one is renting upper berne (or you know who they are so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank asidoti
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I found Swiss Chalets through Trip Advisor and I'm so glad I did. So close to the city/tunnel yet the privacy and quiet of the mountain. Our chalet was perfect for the two of us and our black lab -- they welcome well-behaved dogs. And besides the cleanliness, the comfortable bed, fresh bakery goods, coffee, wifi, cable... the wrap around deck was where we spent early mornings and evenings. We'll definitely return to Asheville Swiss Chalets!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple