“changed”

Ranked #184 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$0 - US$27
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Houses
Description: The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is located on 332 Weaverville Highway just a few minutes north of the city of Asheville, North Carolina. Each season abounds with it's own activities! We are only 20 minutes from The Biltmore House and Gardens, 13.4 Miles to the The Blue Ridge Parkway, and an hour drive to the beginning of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park at the Cherokee Indian Reservation. The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is surrounded by abundant natural beauty, friendly atmosphere, wealth of year-round outdoor activities including winter skiing, hiking, biking, and fishing. Enjoy our rich history, and lively local arts and music scene. Just about every weekend from spring until fall, Asheville and its surrounding towns play host to all kinds of festivals from Bele Chere, the southeast's largest outdoor street festival, to the Mountain Dance & Folk Festival which celebrates the area's rich heritage.
Waynesville, North Carolina
“changed”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

the ownership changed so has anything else not interested in going back.we have been there the year before with a different owner and really good food which is not the case anymore

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank nadeschda81

Gaithersburg, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Homemade Greatness”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Wherever I visit, I search out the local Bavarian restaurant and if it gets even reasonable reviews, I make a point to try a meal. In a nutshell, my wife and I ate here on Wednesday night and returned the following Saturday night with another couple. It's everything I want in a Bavarian restaurant, great food, friendly efficient service, clean surroundings, a decent selection of German biers, and extra bonus points for crazy kitschy decor and authentic Bavarian folk music in the background. Greeted by the mounted boar head in the front door, the obligatory beer steins, assorted pictures of Bavaria and more German chotchkies than you can shake a Bratwurst at and a delightful Biergarten, this place gets 5 stars and a hearty thumbs up for atmosphere. Our server Megan was fantastic in every way, we met the chef and complimented him profusely on our truly homemade authentic meal and were lucky enough to meet the owner who was genuinely friendly and appreciative of our visit. The homemade sausages are unbelievably lean and tasty and we even brought home a dozen of their dried smoked sausages hanging over the bar. Potato pancakes with homemade apple sauce and the bavarian salad were 2 standouts but we tried a little of almost everything and could find no fault with any of it. If you're looking for a great meal in great surroundings and want to have some fun, this is the place. Thanks to all! ! ! ! !

• Visited February 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very Authentic”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Every time my husband and I go to Asheville (which is usually 6 times a year) we make sure and eat here. The food is amazing. The waitstaff is always amazing.

• Visited December 2013
North Carolina
“Best Authentic German Food”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We have eaten here around 4-5 times, and every time the experience was the same, "GREAT". The atmosphere, food, waiter, was always superb, and it is the best German food we have ever had. We used to live 4 hours away which is why we have only eaten there a few times. My husband and I would always eat there when we came to the mountains to visit the Biltmore and the area; but now we have moved to the Waynesville area and will be able to frequent the Bavarian more often!

• Visited August 2013
Decatur, Georgia
“Delightful food and service. Worth a visit!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed at the Log Cabin Motor Court for a few nights on a recent trip to Asheville and this charming restaurant is right next door. We were thrilled that we did. The place was almost empty when we arrived on a freezing January night but our hostess (and owner), Janice, greeted us warmly and gave us a bit of history about the place. OUr drink orders were brought swiftly. The restaurant is decorated in a Bavrian kitschy-cool fashion with tons of beer steins and other knick-knacks. I must admit that our expectations were not especially high when we were placing our orders, but we were happily surprised when our orders arrived. We started with the Bavarian Bratwurst Sampler; having tasted these in-house made brat varieties served in an utterly delicious onion-brown gravy, I may never be able to eat grocery store brats. The large serving had many slices of different brats which were all just delicious, spicy and hearty. We indulged in using the wonderful fresh-baked bread to sop up the gravy! For my main course I ordered the Blauer Engel (Blue Angel) Schnitzel composed of sautéed pork Schnitzel topped with Black Forest Ham and melted Münster Cheese with the Vienna salad and a side of Bavarian Fried Potatoes. I've had Schnitzel elsewhere and have often found the thinly pounded meat to be rather tough; this Schnitzel was tender and delectable - the ham and cheese sprinkled with Paprika was yummy. The Vienna salad - chopped tomatoes and onions in their home made dressing - was a tasty complement to the meal, and the large chunks of heavily and deliciously seasoned potatoes were really flavorful. My husband ordered one of the evening's specials: beef stroganoff with spaetzle and Vienna Salad. You might think this is a rather tired standard, but the stroganoff was the best I've ever tasted and it was clearly made with choice cuts of beef instead of the chewy stew meat you often find.the spaetzle was tender and seasoned perfectly to work with the stroganoff. Truly one of the tastiest meals I've ever had. If you're in Asheville a short drive to the Bavarian Restaurant and Biergarten is well worth your time!

• Visited January 2014