“one of the best hostels there is”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Bangkok, Thailand
“one of the best hostels there is”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at BP&S for a few days on our cross country trip and fell in love with it immediately. The people are awesome and there are many nice places to go within a short walking distance. Seriously, you can't go wrong with this place, give it a go.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My friend and I stayed here this past weekend and had a great time. We were initially looking at a different hostel but ended up booking Bon Paul and Sharky's due to the homey vibe we got on their website. This hostel is located in a lovely older home in a funky neighborhood. There are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance which was a nice bonus. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I can't say enough good things about them. There is free WiFi in the hostel as well as two computers on the main floor. We stayed in a private room on the second floor. While this room could be noisy as it was next to the bathroom, it really wasn't an issue for us. The room had hardwoods, a TV with VCR and videos. There was a pleasant front porch and back deck. There was a pretty sweet hot tub on the back deck. Beer and wine are allowed in the hostel so it was very nice to have a glass of wine and relax in the hot tub on a chilly Asheville summer day. Guests are allowed to pick ripe vegetables in the garden and use the ktichen facilities. I would obviously recommend this hostel. I hope to be back soon!! Thanks Bon Paul and Sharky's!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I just went on a road trip through several southern states with several friends and Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel was by far our favorite hostel! The staff (and other hostellers) were so friendly and warm, and the place was in a great location. I walked to Sunpoint restaurant for lunch, the Haywood farmer's market, did my laundry, and went to several great thrift stores and cafes in the area.

The place has a great front porch (with comfortable seating and fun people watching), lovely back porch and backyard (where you can camp, cheaper!) with a small garden and free parking. They have a well equipped (pots, pans, etc) and clean kitchen that they encourage you to use. Many yummy foods were baked while I was there. Sleeping was comfortable and quiet - though plenty of people hung out till all hours of the night downstairs, the rooms were peaceful and quiet.

Come here! You'll meet great people and you'll get to know a wonderful side of Asheville.

Room Tip: Call ahead!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2011

The staff are fantastic. The location is great, the hostel is comfortable & the price is right. There is an awsome deck with a hot tub to help relax & meet other guests after a day of hiking the mountain trails, There are also pubs n cafes a stones throw down the road. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I loved this place! It felt more like a home than a hostel! Dan the manager was great, friendly and good fun. I liked that he spent time mixing and chatting with people staying at the hostel. Katie was nice too. She gave me a lift downtown as she was heading there. I met some great travellers here. The option of free pasta dinner each night was great. You have to cook it yourself but it's a nice way to mix and spend time with fellow travellers at the hostel. The hostel offers lots of free stuff, breakfast, pizza and Internet. The back terrace has a hot tub (could do with a light outside here) and the front has a terrace where you can sit and relax on a sofa or swinging bench. The dorms are clean, lockers are not the best in the mixed dorm but I never felt this was an issue as it was such a small friendly place. Hostel is located very close by to bars and a fantastic deli that sells the best sandwiches. Downtown is not far also. I had planned to stay for 2 nights but stayed for 4. I would have stayed longer if I wasn't on such a time scale. I was sad to leave! I would highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
kcomst
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The good: good company, other travelers were quiet and considerate. Clean sheets, nice location, wireless Internet.

The bad: Manager Dan quotes variable rates depending on who you are and how much money you have (example, a solo room was $50 for me but $65 for a female attorney). Also don't count on any reservations you make. When I reserved a room, later on it was deleted. A subsequent reservation they said they'd hold a bottom bunk for me. Upon check-in however my bunk was given to someone else and I was given an upper bunk in the basement with 18" of headroom and nasty ductwork over my head. Apparently if someone younger, more cool-looking or prettier comes along, you move down on the food chain depending on Dan's mood at the time.

The ugly: The basement is like a dungeon with no ventilation. Doors stick, needs some maintenance. Kitchen faucet barely more than a drip. Bunk bed slats are so wide the foam mattress pads fall through the cracks and give little support.

Conclusion: Bunk beds are inadequate. If you want a private room, there are numerous hotels in the area for the same or less. Try kayak. I had no problem my last night finding a hotel room with 2 double beds, Internet, continental breakfast, cable, wireless etc for $60 tax included. That was over Labor Day weekend too. Next time I won't be staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank kcomst
bonpaul_and_sharkys, Manager at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Your honest feedback is appreciated. We are under new management, and we think that we have worked out many of the bugs that you mention here. We've stepped up our staff's routine on cleaning, booking, and generally being good amiable and fair hosts. The single private room downstairs has been remodeled altogether. Clear cleaning schedules have been established, and guests are invited to address us immediately with ANY issues they may have. We live on site, so this is possible 24hrs a day. I'm very sorry to hear that we lost your trust here. It is my hope that you may come back through one day, meet the staff and perhaps allow us another chance. Your feedback has been helpful in addressing issues and establishing a new routine.
mars
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Nothing fancy but a friendly little house in W.Asheville with a good kitchen and a hot tub. Usually allows camping for about 12$.
Cute little street with cafes, health food and pubs -drink without driving!
25 min drive to Blue Ridge Pkwy (where autumn campgrounds get very cold).
Asheville may just be the greatest southern town!

Stayed October 2009, travelled solo