“24 Hour Getaway”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Bon Paul and Sharky's was a great solution for my little solo trip to Asheville. The hotel prices in the area are expensive. Therefore, I stayed at Bon Paul's and it was a great solution for a lady traveling by herself because the other guests were so nice and the employees (Zach and Nathan) were very hospitable. I would compare it to a casual B&B (sans breakfast). A great experience overall and the house had a lot of quirky decor which made me feel right at home.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a significant other then they have private rooms to accommodate. I woul...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 January 2013

It was my first stay in a hostel and I had a great time. We had a spaghetti dinner with the staff on the first night. We also played cards and scrabble with the staff and other housemates that night. They made our stay very welcoming. I stayed in a private room. The only downside was sharing the bathroom with a dozen other people.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I cannot understand all the rave reviews here. I stayed in a private room over the summer, had planned 2 or 3 nites considering the popularity. The room I had was filthy. The floor looked like it hadn't been swept in months -- I felt like I couldn't breathe because of all the dust/dirt, no lie. Horrible. Because of no a/c I wanted to put the small floor fan on but when I did the dirt/dust was blown into the air and made it worse. The mattress was thin and worn, lying on top of bare springs. There was no mattress pad, only an old fitted sheet and top sheet. Pillows? No need to say. I tried to be a "good sport" about it but after only being able to sleep about 4 hours I left before the sun came up. Maybe they'd had an overly extended stay guest in the room that had just cleared out and didn't bother to clean the room? One staffer was friendly the other seemed to have PMS. Guests were nice. I didn't bother to say anything just got the hell out. I've nick named it Bon Paul and Snarky's Flop House. For the price I could've stayed in a hotel!

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I have stayed here twice so far. The first time I stayed in the women's dorm, and the next time I opted to try a private room. Both were wonderful. Everything about the place has a worn-in, well-loved feeling. The staff was was very helpful and personable. There are several restaurants within very easy walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sara W
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I could have stayed at a hotel, but I found this hostel through an internet search, and I am CERTAINLY glad I did!
Everyone is super-friendly and helpful, it was a lot cheaper than a hotel, and is more of a family atmosphere.
Plus, there were great eats and drinks right across the street, AND private rooms available.
In addition, there is a GORGEOUS trail along the river, which was a beautiful place for a bike ride! Could not have been more perfect.

I will DEFINITELY stay here again next trip! Thank you Bonpaul and Sharkys!

Keith from Chicago

1  Thank keith l
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's for one night and reserved a private room. Hostel was eclectic, lots of reading material and interesting things to look at...I mean, there's a big suit of armor in the "living" room. How cool is that? It's also in a fantastic location. There's a white board that lists things to do each night of the week, and there is info for local dining/shops/etc. All the travelers I came across there were easy going, respectful, and laid back. Nathan was very helpful and really nice. I was looking for a funky hat to wear to my friend's wedding and when I couldn't find one (the shops were closed at the time) Nathan offered to let me borrow the manager's "Mashed Potatoes" cap which was a HUGE hit. If you see it hanging in the hallway you'll know it's famous now. So I have been staying in business class hotels for the past 7 years and I thought I might be totally out of my element, but I got back late after a wedding/reception/concert and it was so homey and quiet...I went to my room, locked the door and curled up in the bed under the Star Wars Naboo Starfighter comforter (theirs). It was like staying at a friend's place. So yeah, definitely recommend. I didn't eat in the kitchen because...well...I have toddlers now and since I have to clean up after them all the time I took a break from cleaning while on vacation. Recommend to anyone who wants a low-key, laid back, Asheville-feel stay.

1  Thank TimbosCorner
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is my third time visiting Asheville and all three times I have stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel. It has a very home like atmosphere, super comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful.The location is great, West Asheville is a lot quieter than Downtown, but the hostel is within walking distance to a great natural foods store, a few pubs to grab food and drinks, and a great ice cream place called The Hop. The hostel itself has two private rooms, one coed dorm and one female only dorm. The also have the option to camp in the back yard near the garden. They have a cute porch to hang out on and a small garden and hot tub outback. The only downside I would say to the place is the lack of laundry facilities inside. However, I definitely recommend it to others, and I look forward to my next visit to Asheville so I can stay at Bon Paul and Sharky's again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple