“One of the best hostels I've stayed in!! Great staff and lots of free stuff!”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I loved this place! It felt more like a home than a hostel! Dan the manager was great, friendly and good fun. I liked that he spent time mixing and chatting with people staying at the hostel. Katie was nice too. She gave me a lift downtown as she was heading there. I met some great travellers here. The option of free pasta dinner each night was great. You have to cook it yourself but it's a nice way to mix and spend time with fellow travellers at the hostel. The hostel offers lots of free stuff, breakfast, pizza and Internet. The back terrace has a hot tub (could do with a light outside here) and the front has a terrace where you can sit and relax on a sofa or swinging bench. The dorms are clean, lockers are not the best in the mixed dorm but I never felt this was an issue as it was such a small friendly place. Hostel is located very close by to bars and a fantastic deli that sells the best sandwiches. Downtown is not far also. I had planned to stay for 2 nights but stayed for 4. I would have stayed longer if I wasn't on such a time scale. I was sad to leave! I would highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 September 2010

The good: good company, other travelers were quiet and considerate. Clean sheets, nice location, wireless Internet.

The bad: Manager Dan quotes variable rates depending on who you are and how much money you have (example, a solo room was $50 for me but $65 for a female attorney). Also don't count on any reservations you make. When I reserved a room, later on it was deleted. A subsequent reservation they said they'd hold a bottom bunk for me. Upon check-in however my bunk was given to someone else and I was given an upper bunk in the basement with 18" of headroom and nasty ductwork over my head. Apparently if someone younger, more cool-looking or prettier comes along, you move down on the food chain depending on Dan's mood at the time.

The ugly: The basement is like a dungeon with no ventilation. Doors stick, needs some maintenance. Kitchen faucet barely more than a drip. Bunk bed slats are so wide the foam mattress pads fall through the cracks and give little support.

Conclusion: Bunk beds are inadequate. If you want a private room, there are numerous hotels in the area for the same or less. Try kayak. I had no problem my last night finding a hotel room with 2 double beds, Internet, continental breakfast, cable, wireless etc for $60 tax included. That was over Labor Day weekend too. Next time I won't be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank kcomst
bonpaul_and_sharkys, Manager at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Your honest feedback is appreciated. We are under new management, and we think that we have worked out many of the bugs that you mention here. We've stepped up our staff's routine on cleaning, booking, and generally being good amiable and fair hosts. The single private room downstairs has been remodeled altogether. Clear cleaning schedules have been established, and guests are invited to address us immediately with ANY issues they may have. We live on site, so this is possible 24hrs a day. I'm very sorry to hear that we lost your trust here. It is my hope that you may come back through one day, meet the staff and perhaps allow us another chance. Your feedback has been helpful in addressing issues and establishing a new routine.

Reviewed 10 January 2010

Nothing fancy but a friendly little house in W.Asheville with a good kitchen and a hot tub. Usually allows camping for about 12$.
Cute little street with cafes, health food and pubs -drink without driving!
25 min drive to Blue Ridge Pkwy (where autumn campgrounds get very cold).
Asheville may just be the greatest southern town!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Thatvagabond
Reviewed 17 September 2009

This hostel has such a nice atmosphere. There are 2 porches, one with a hot tub. There's a place in the backyard to set up a tent (that's where my friend and I stayed), and a decent size pen for dogs. Easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, and a pub in the trendy West end. When I was there, I had a great night of singing songs along with a guitar with a diverse group of people (whom I had never met before). It was perfect! The staff were super-nice, and the price can't be beat! The living room has a TV, games, and movies in case you get bored with Asheville. It was so nice to come back to this, rather than a hotel room.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2009

great deals, great place. They have dorm style rooms one for men, one for women and one coed. They also have several private rooms.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo