“Excellent Service, Clean & Wonderfully Decorated”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The hotel & town were decorated for Christmas with chestnuts roasting on the fire! The main lodge was very warm & welcoming. We stayed in the adjacent building which was quite with our room facing the alley way not the main street. The art collection was very impressive and some was for sale. The rooms are very nicely decorated in the old lodge style with antler chandiliers and weather wood look flooring. Hugh garden tub that opens to the bedroom and gives you view out of the window. The neighbors were alittle noisy on the weekend but, very peaceful during the week. You can walk to Starbucks & several restaurants/shops, just be careful crossing the busy streets. Fitness center is nice in the main buidling. Hotel is right outside of the Biltmore! Stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

We appreciate the review of your stay at The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville and are pleased you found our hotel "very warm and welcoming." We are glad you enjoyed your room and general ambiance of our hotel. We welcome the opportunity to serve you on future visits to Asheville.

Guest Experiences Specialist

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed 26 December 2011

We recently spent the weekend before Christmas at the Grand Bohemian. It was everything we had hoped for and more. I spoke with Judy at the front desk before we arrived. She filled all of my request. We stayed in room 321 on the side facing the entrance to Biltmore. We had no complaints about noise. The hotel is beautiful, and the staff is very attentive. We liked it so much that we have already scheduled another visit for the third week in January.

B. Taylor

Room Tip: We stayed on the side facing the Biltmore entrance, and had no problem with noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

We are delighted your recent stay at The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville exceeded your expectations! The best compliment our team and hotel can receive is to be able to welcome returning guests. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Thanks to many of your postings, I was adequately prepared for my Grand Bohemian stay and managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls pointed out in Trip Advisor. We booked three rooms in the main house and had an enjoyable stay.

Pros:
Friendly, accommodating staff throughout. Everyone was courteous, clearly well trained and professional.

Easy check-in/check-out process. Greeted with a welcome beverage of water, juice or champagne (very nice).

Clean, well appointed, spacious rooms. Wonderful, deep soaking tub (however, tacky display of bath products for purchase next to tub. Provide your guest with a handful of soaking salts for the tub, don't be so overtly cheap).

Comfortable lobby with lovely open fireplace (although space far too small relative to hotel room count). Comfortable public restrooms (everybody in our party commented on them). Chessnuts roasting on the open fire in the lobby was a cute, nice touch.

Cocktails in the lounge were well prepared. Friendly, professional bar staff. My parents enjoyed breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Red Stag) and said it was quite delicious.

I usually stay at the Grove Park, but I actually liked this location a lot. Quite frankly, the rooms were a lot nicer and fresher than at the Grove Park. Being within a quick stroll to McDonald's and Starbucks is also a big plus for traveling families. Yes, I heard the train, but it didn't bother me. I guess perhaps I chose to ignore it and considered it part of a wonderful mountain setting.

The $15 valet service fee seemed reasonable to me and I liked not having to worry about finding a parking space.

Room For Improvement:

The lobby is REALLY Small. Someone mentioned this in an earlier review and they weren't kidding. I've never seen a lobby this small in any hotel that I've stayed in. Suggestion: expand lobby into the restaurant/lounge area.

Great checker board in the lobby, would have loved to enjoy a game or two, but NO checkers. If available at the front desk, post a little note to that effect.

Poor folks who booked rooms in the remote hotel building across the street had to trudge out in the rain with all of their luggage - and boy was it raining on December 22. The look on their faces as they were being shown the route across the busy street, in the pouring cold rain to their room, sans assistance, was heartbreaking. If I were in one of those rooms, that would have been a show stopper for me. Suggestion: Provide shuttle service to the remote building.

No complimentary water in the room. Suggestion: How much can providing a glass of water to your weary guests cost?

I did read that the hotel was pet friendly, but watching folks stroll their dogs into the lobby on leashes was a HUGE turn off.

The bed pillows were the most uncomfortable of any that I've encountered.

The maid knocked on the door at 8 am on my departure morning - there is nothing more irritating to me than that little game of waking up the guests on day of departure so that you can get them in gear and moving out of the room. Which brings me to another pain point - a check-in time of 4 pm and check out of 11 am - something is wrong there!

Would I Stay Again:

I enjoyed the decor, ambiance, and staff of the Grand Bohemian. However, there was not really a hook or a thread about the hotel or experience that would keep me loyal to it and from entertaining other competitive properties in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - more spacious and better view (well, sort of. You see the McDonald's in...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for the very detailed review of your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Please know your comments for improvement have been shared and discussed with our team. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again on future visits to Asheville.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

This was our second visit to Grand Bohemian in 6 months. This time we had cocktails in the bar then dinner, and next morning a breakfast in the restaurant. We were not advised at bar/dinner that the gratuity was automatically included so we left a generous tip which meant we ended up giving $40 on a $98 tab. The breakfast server did advise us as she presented the bill that the gratuity was included-greatly appreciated. We felt so manipulated or hoodwinked. The dinner food was just ok (over cooked asparagus and gluey risotto) and certainly not the fine dining experience one would expect at this price point.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Feichang

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent dining experience at The Grand Bohemian Hotel. We apologize your experience was less than perfect and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

I typically do not post reviews but I was so pleased with my stay I had to give this hotel a review. I am extremely picky about where I stay and this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, the decor was beautiful, our room was very clean, and the location was perfect. An added bonus was having The Red Stag in the hotel the food was excellent and so was the service.

• Stayed: December 2011

We are delighted your first visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville was "an amazing experience" and you enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

It was my very first time visiting the Grand Bohemian. I am very happy to say we had a amazing experience. I read many reviews before going and had my doubts. I would like to say do not listen to all of them.... Some people are never satisfied... Everything was so perfect. The hotel staff treated us like superstars and room service was for sure a perfect touch. The Red Stag hotel was fabulous. I would suggest having the sea bass. We were celebrating my boyfriends birthday and I have to say it was great. I stayed on the third floor. The aromas from the spa helped the atmosphere. Over all we will be back. Not just for a celebration but to simply enjoy life. The Grand Bohemian is highly recommended!!!! Everyone should atleast go once. The price is a little high but well worth it. The bathrooms are so unique and the bath tubs are to die for...... If it is a romantic get away for you i would like to suggest add the rose pedals in the room and the bubble bath.. THey set it up for you. I will be back... Very soon.. Well as soon as I can afford... :) Love, Love, Love this place. You will miss out if you choose not to stay...

Room Tip: Make sure you have a tub and shower....
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My wife and I were married on the terrace of this wonderful hotel, so my review may be biased. Although the prices are high in the fall, you will surely notice the attention to detail when you examine the rooms, the pleasant staff and excellent food. Although this hotel is suitable for business or family travel, I'd highly recommend going with some one special. The hotel is very beautiful and great for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled you chose The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville for your special wedding day and are pleased we were able to make your day a memorable one. Your kind words regarding our team and service are appreciated. We hope you will choose to spend many more special occasions with us!