“Fun decor, fabulous location and first rate service.”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
“Fun decor, fabulous location and first rate service.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Grand Bohemian is a charming boutique hotel right outside the gates of the Biltmore Estate. The bathrooms are spacious and the beds offer a restful sleep. While the rooms are not large, our superior room easily accomodated a roll-away bed. Starbucks coffee service in the room was a welcome plus. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else the next time I am in Asheville.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MotorCityMomma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2012

From the welcome from the Valets, to the front desk staff, this hotel is tops! We had a beautiful queen suite with a large soaking tub. The interior finishes in the room were lovely with a separate shower, separate toilet (w/c), and bathing area. The beddings were luxurious and we all had a wonderful sleep. The lobby was magnificent, finished with antler chandeliers, wood panelling imported from Europe, to beautifully inlaid (marquetry) pillars from India, to a four-sided stone fireplace. There were beautiful leather chairs to relax in with complimentary coffee service and newspapers. Behind the reception area was a lovely art gallery with local and international artists on display. To the left of the lobby was the Red Stag Grill that had some magnificent art carvings of animals formed from tree roots. It was a bit of an indulgence ($200+ for the room), but well worth it...what a gem! There was a lovely terrace on the top floor of the hotel where the ballroom was located...just check out these rooms - they are lovely - beautiful crystal chandeliers and panelling which made me feel like I was in Austria. There was an exercise room which was well appointed (had the usual equipment) and also had water and lemon water available for you (a nice touch). We had a restful stay.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in the main building - cannot comment on the building across the street - but lik...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fortitudeX4
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the attention to detail and overall ambiance of the lobby. We hope you will choose to return for a future visit!

Woodstock, Ga
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I stay here every December and go to the Candlelight Christmas Tour at the Biltmore Estate. It's a little pricey but I love the rooms and the Red Stagg restaurant inside the hotel has the best seabass ever! Also, you receive hot cider at check in and there is a wonderful fireplace in center of the lobby that is wonderful for relaxing and planning your day. We will be back!

Room Tip: I think they are all similiar.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
We are excited to hear you all join us each December to enjoy the Candlelight Christmas Tour at the Biltmore Estate. Thank you for sharing a review. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Grand Bohemian is a gorgeous hotel. I like to describe it as "rustic chic." I loved the decor of the lobby, Red Stag Grill, and the rooms. The bathrooms were spacious and well laid out, and the beds were very comfortable. The room overall wasn't huge but it was plenty of space.

Upon arrival at 3pm, we had to wait a few minutes to check-in, but were offered champagne as we waited. We had reserved 4 rooms over 2 months prior, but we found that our requests of all of our rooms having two beds wasn't in the system. Luckily they were able to ultimately honor the request, but it took them a few minutes to figure things out. They were able to accommodate all 4 rooms on the same floor.

Right after check-in, we received spa treatments. Their spa is very small, but the staff was incredibly friendly. This was the first time I was "upsold" on additions to the treatment I selected. I have to say that the additions I decided upon were nice, but I'm not sure that I liked being put on the spot as to whether I wanted additions once I was in the treatment room. The massage and other treatments I received were awesome. Their staff did a great job.

That evening we ate dinner at the Red Stag Grill inside the hotel. It was one of the best meals I've ever had! I highly recommend their braised short ribs, risotto, and wedge salad. They had a special 3 courses for $30 when we were there; otherwise, it would have been incredibly expensive, since everything is ala carte. My only complaint is the service. A few of us started out at the bar, and it became clear that the bar was under-staffed. We received little attention from the bartender, and he made it difficult and slow to close out our tabs when we were ready to sit down for our dinner. Our waitress also left something to be desired. I know we had a large group, but we weren't at all difficult. She acted like everything we asked her for was an inconvenience, not to mention that she completely screwed up our checks, and then also entered our room information incorrectly when she billed the rooms.

I stayed with a group of 8 at the hotel. One of the members of the group reserved the rooms on her debit card. While we toured the Biltmore the next day, she discovered that the hotel had already charged her debit card AND charged it for everyone's rooms, meals, etc. I have stayed with groups at hotels many times, and I have never experienced this happening. As a result, when we got back to the hotel from the Biltmore, we had to spend 30 minutes working out everyone's billing at the front desk to ensure the one person wasn't being charged for everything. Usually charges are worked out per room upon check out. Grand Bohemian, you need to change your practices on this! It was a huge inconvenience that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Seriously, who gets charged during their stay prior to check-out?

Overall, I would cautiously recommend this hotel. I hope they can work on their methods and their service for future guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Room not ready at check in time. No apology no champagne which is supposed to be offered, just attitude. How dare we expect to check in at 4:00. Don't we know they are busy.

• Stayed April 2011
We apologize for the delay and service you received upon check-in. This is certainly not our standard. Please know your feedback has been shared with our front office team for improvement.
North Carolina
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice since December, first time with my 18 year old daughter, she loved it! My husband and I went back for our anniversary, he loved it! Everything about this hotel is great. The decor is beautiful and unique, the staff is lovely, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the food is very good. It is in a great location, shopping and restaurants within walking distance, other attractions a short drive away. Hands down the best place in Asheville to stay!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
We are delighted your visits to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville have been such memorable experiences. One of the highest compliments our team can receive is to welcome returning guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Discovered this hotel when we had dinner at their Red Stag Grill, and have since stayed there twice. Really love great hotels with atmosphere and this one has it--the fireplace and hot chocolate in the lobby in winter, the bar and restaurant are destinations in themselves, the rooms are elegant, but warm and comfortable. Love the bathrooms with the big showers and tubs, and most rooms have good sitting areas. The staff is excellent, helpful but inobtrusive.
The location is perfect--at the gates of Biltmore, downtown nearby, and walking distance to several excellent local restaurants for a variety of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.

In reading some of the complaints from others, I saw one which complained about roadway noise to which I would suggest asking for a room which faces onto their courtyard, and I actually loved the sounds of the trains and the church bells.

Others perhaps might not like it's hunting lodge decor, but I found it very nicely done for someone who would not normally take to antler chandeliers.

Have stayed at the Biltmore Inn and will no doubt try the Hotel Indigo and the new W hotel just because I love cool hotels, but the Grand Bohemian will always be my favorite and one where I will continue to meet my traveling friends for great vacations. It's just got it.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the main road if noise sensitive
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank SarahSpalding
Thank you for the very kind words regarding your most recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We are always delighted to welcome returning guests and are so pleased you had such a pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!