“Hunting lodge Hotel”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This place was right down my ally. I liked the lobby, room and bar.

For the price I paid I expected a quality and this place met my expectations.

The location was great, with lots of options to eat within walking distance.

The room was very comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was of a good size, had thick towels and spotless.

We were on a motorcycle trip and it rained a lot. They let me park the bikes in a very convenient area under cover.

If in the area again I would make it a point to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajayhawkfan

Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Grand Bohemian is a gem nestled in the Historic Biltmore Village. The hotel and staff more than met our expectations. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed. The valet/bell stand attendants were courteous and friendly. The front desk staff (who literally sit at a pair of large desks) were equally as welcoming and friendly. The requested preferences for the room were all attended to, save for one, which was noted by the front desk staff member. She explained what could be done and was intent on ensuring we were satisfied. Importantly, we had noted when making our reservation that we were staying for our anniversary and she offered to send us a complimentary bottle of champagne. When I thanked her and joked that we didn't drink champagne in order to save our calories for chocolate, she clearly took note as 10 minutes after arriving in our room a complimentary plate of chocolate covered strawberries arrived. It was a delightful surprise.

We also received a complimentary upgrade on our room, as the hotel was relatively sparsely populated. The upgrade was to a room with a balcony. Unfortunately, the weather was not especially cooperative and the view was not especially attractive (overlooking Hardee's and Ruth Chris), but we nonetheless appreciated the gesture. The room was very nicely appointed and as clean a room as we have seen in some time (yes, even at luxury hotels). The wall mounted screen served as TV and computer screen and the clock/alarm was a nice Bose model that also played CDs. The shower head is a rain shower head and was very nice at the end of a long day. The beds were comfortable, with soft bed linens.

We had read complaints about the bath oil, bath salts, Evian water and wine in the room that is offered for sale. Yes, those items were in the room, but so what. We didn't have to use/buy them. They certainly were not in the way.

We had also read complaints about the noise level while in one's room. We could hear the train, but did not find it distracting. It actually had its own charm when considering the history of the Village and the nearby train depot. The walls do seem to be a bit thin on insulation, though. Our next door neighbors clearly had a very enjoyable evening our first night, but thankfully apparently wore themselves out or checked out, as we did not have a repeat performance our second night.

The fitness room is available with a room key 24 hours and for us that was critical. We work out at odd hours sometimes and enjoyed the flexibility. The equipment is in excellent shape and included Precor cardio (treadmills, ellipticals, bike), as well as hand weights and four fixed weight machines. The only complaint is that there is no restroom facility available to the work out room.

The hotel's location was ideal for us. We enjoyed the brief walk around the Village. The shopping is not extensive, but does include some nice shops (e.g., Brooks Brothers, JJill, Talbot's, Coldwater Creek) and a few restaurants. The restaurant selection was not extensive, but was sufficient. The entrance to the Biltmore Estate is literally across the street. That was very handy, as we simply drove around the corner and right to the estate.

The hotel décor is charming and attractive. The lodge style resonates throughout, including historic/period pieces (e.g., Civil War weaponry). While the artwork was not all to our tastes, it is beautifully displayed and does enhance the overall hotel atmosphere.

We highly recommend the Grand Bohemian and thank the staff for a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Was surprised by this hotel, the lobby was amazing , like being in a hunting lodge, very cool. We had dinner both evenings, Micheal was our waiter and he was the friendliest person ever, so interesting to talk to, and very knowledgable about the food and where it was sourced from. We liked him so much we requested to be sat in his section the following evening.
The Biltmore house was fantastic, the gardens were just stunning. We went over to Antler village and enjoyed a cold beer in Cedric's pub, very nice.
The only negative with the hotel is the traffic noise, constant EMS going through and fire trucks, so much activity for a small town. Also a train went through at 3am, horns blasting! Drove us crazy!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Upon entering this "autograph collection" hotel, I felt we had arrived in a hunting lodge nightmare. All those mounted heads! Ugh. Antlers on light fixtures everywhere. I can only hope they were not real.
This is a good location, and the room was large, but we will not return.

Room Tip: try to stay away from ice machine- very noisy
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I recently stayed at Grand Bohemian and was disappointed. The lobby, restaurant and staff were very nice. However, there are archtectural restrictions in Biltmore Villlage where hotel is located. I was checked in and it was raining. I was told my room was across the street in the Manor House. I thought that was strange, but worse, I was not offered assistance with my luggage or an umbrella. There were brick steps leaving the main building and steps leading into Manor House. It took several minutes for the traffic light to change and the entire time it was raining. I don't know why I was put there, but will only return if I will be in "main" building.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The hotel staff were friendly, efficient and professional. The décor of the common areas is rustic in an Old World fashion. Rooms are well appointed and spacious. Restaurant is on a par with the best in Asheville. The location is excellent for visiting both the Biltmore Estate and Biltmore Village. There are two units to the hotel. The main unit contains the lobby, bar, restaurant, meeting rooms and exercise facility. The second unit is just across the street and houses rooms. There is a small lobby, but is only staffed at specific times. We have stayed in both units. Rooms are exactly the same.

1  Thank Art H
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I really fell in love with this place. It was so pleasant to have a hotel chain design something with real ambiance! It was creative and fun! I loved the theme, all the art, the whole design, our room, the lobby, and the restaurant and bar. We went to the Biltmore (interesting, but too many people) and found this an ideal spot to stay. It was easy to zip into the Biltmore from the hotel.
My husband had broken a hearing aid and though we arrived around 3 p.m. on Friday, the hotel was so helpful in aiding us with this problem that we were actually able to locate and drive to a spot that fixed it for him. That made the rest of the vacation so much more pleasant than it might have been!
We had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. I had elk (wonderful!) and my husband had the angus beef which he enjoyed. The drinks were good, and the service excellent. The next night we wanted something smaller and so enjoyed the bar menu.
I will look up other hotels in this chain.