“Great & Not So Great”

Charlotte, NC
“Great & Not So Great”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

First, the Great:
Beautiful ambiance, the lobby and the drive up entrance are phenomenal. My wife and I greatly enjoyed having a glass of wine by the 4-way see through fireplace in the main lobby each night. The room (Corner King) was gorgeous and spacious.
The location of the hotel is perfectly situated in Biltmore Village.
The guest staff's customer service is right up there with the Ritz's.
The building is impressive and simply beautiful.
The piano player on Saturday night was excellent. I requested a specific song by Elton John and he played it marvelously. He was impressive.
CNow, the not so great:
Noisy, our room had an adjoining door which provided very little help in serving as a sound barrier. The room next to us kept us up most of the night. Drunk girls and a guy talking way too late and singing happy birthday well past midnight. I had to call twice that night to complain about the noise. I wouldn't pay $20 to stay in a room with an adjoining door at this hotel again. I'm a young guy and a pretty heavy sleeper but the adjoining door was about as helpful as a cotton sheet at blocking out noise.
The spa was very small and cramped. I expected more from such a respected hotel. My spa treatment was acceptable but the atmosphere left a lot to be desired.
Lastly, the restaurant's menu, food, and wine were great, however our service was not the best. Our waitress assumed we didn't care for dessert. We asked her for a dessert menu, which she provided but never came back to take our dessert order. We had to track down a different waitress and ask her to just bring us our check. We were never provided a wine list for wines by the bottle. Furthermore, after our waitress dropped off our food she didn't bother to check with us to see if we needed anything else, I had to wait 10 minutes in order to finally get some ketchup.
Overall, I would rate my stay as adequate. However, if someone were to rate my business as adequate, I would be sorely disappointed. I don't mind spending a lot of money on a product, but I want to feel as if I'm getting value for my dollar. This place has potential, but it also has a ways to go if it wants to charge Ritz-like prices.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shawn G
Jeff C, Director of Food & Beverage at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I have shared your comments witht the rest of our leadership team so they may assist with ongoing solutions. I am dismayed to hear of the shortfalls in the dining room. We aim for very high standards and this experience leaves a lot to be desired. I can assure you that we will review this with the appropriate team members. Please accept my personal apologies.

I remain available by phone or email, please let me know when you return to Asheville.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
DeWitt, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the minute you step inside you are transported to another world! We were greeted by lovely music, exotic scents and mulled cider when we set foot in the Grand Bohemian. The décor is rustic yet elegant in all the public spaces and the original art work elevates this hotel into another category. Service was truly outstanding from the valets, front desk, room service and Red Stagg servers. We stayed a Sunday evening when there were fewer guests and it was quite relaxing. The soaking tub, upscale bathroom and bed linens really made it a luxurious experience. We were riveted to watching the Olympics and chose room service for dinner which was delicious and had a beautiful presentation. Breakfast in the dining room was leisurely and the service first rate!

The only things that were less than perfect are:
No pool or hot tub
used room service trays left in hallways overnight
hotel is surrounded by parking lots

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor at the end of the hall, very quiet, just what we wanted.
2 Thank S J G
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I recently spent two wonderful nights at the Grand Bohemian to celebrate our anniversary. The staff made every effort to make our stay a memorable one. The hotel is absolutely beautiful inside and out. We enjoyed dinner in their restaurant, "The Red Stag" where the food was delicious and the service impeccable. We also used the workout facility, which was well equipped and clean.

We will definitely be staying here again!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is by far one of the best hotels in Asheville! Would definitely choose this hotel over the Biltmore Inn. Great restaurant and not your typical hotel food. For the price, I would expect that I would not have to pay for parking, but that is the only negative. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay C
Lake Lure, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is outstanding. We planned an Anniversary trip to the GBHA. We arrived just before a snowstorm. ...and were pretty much stranded for a couple of days. What a place to be stranded. We loved it. The accommodations were very nice. The food in the Red Stag was outstanding. The staff was very attentive. We will be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goldenbear25
Atlanta
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My wife and I had been staying at a competitor hotel, ranked #1 for the area, for three days before checking into this one. A snow storm prolonged our trip by several days, and we wanted to try something different, so we checked into the Grand Bohemian. Upon first glance the hotel is impressive, and the art and decor are mostly impressive. Our main issues were with cleanliness and service. Our first room had a used bar of soap in the tub when we got there, and the pillow case was stained. We had our 5 month old with us, so weren't thrilled to have to switch rooms after we had unpacked, but the final straw was the shower head being mostly stopped up, so the result was the few unstopped holes in the shower head put out an very intense PSI stream of water - painfully strong. It wasn't an adjustable head.
To the management's credit, they offered us an upgraded room when we switched rooms. But after being in the almost $300 a night room they gave us, there is no way I would pay anything close to that. Again, room and decor are impressive, but cleanliness was an issue again. The jacuzzi tub wasn't working, so after maintenance got it going we turned it on and dirt and hair came out of the jets. It obviously hadn't been cleaned recently.
The restaurant is great - really good food and service, but somehow management has allowed different information on their website menu, in room menu, and actual restaurant menu. Online, it shows prices and options that are no longer available(prices and automatic tips/fees have increased). And if you order room service make sure they don't overcharge you. I had ordered breakfast with a drink included, but when it was delivered I was charged for the drink, and was told by the employee delivering it that I was mistaken. Upon further review, the in room menu for the dish shows it wasn't included, but the restaurant menu I ordered off of for the exact same food showed it was included. Thankfully, they took off the charge and later offered a complimentary dessert for the mixup, but these issues aren't what you expect in a hotel like this.
Overall, I would only stay at this hotel again if I got a great rate and lowered my expectations going in. I certainly wouldn't pay top shelf prices until the management corrects the housekeeping issues and service, and if I was in a corner room away from people.
Whoever built the hotel must have skimped on the walls between the rooms because they are paper thin. We heard our neighbors quite well, and humorously could hear housekeeping singing and running water when they were cleaning the neighboring room the next day.
The valet guys are great! Always extremely helpful and courteous(be prepared for the required $18/day parking fee). The location across the street from the Blitmore Estate is really convenient as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a corner, or hopefully with no neighbors, unless you want to hear tv/conversations...
1 Thank pmcreynolds
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to the Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback about your experience with us. It’s very disappointing to hear that you experienced cleanliness issues during your stay. Our Director of Housekeeping has reviewed your feedback and has taken immediate corrective measures to ensure this is an isolated incident. Cleanliness is a strong point in our hotel so hearing your experience is very disappointing to us. In addition, we will be reviewing all online restaurant sites to eliminate any menu discrepancies. We would like to thank your for your favorable comments about our impressive hotel décor and art collection. Lastly, we appreciate your comment about Red Stag Grill… “The restaurant is great – really good food and service”. I’m happy to hear that we were able to upgrade your room and correct your billing error and offer a complimentary dessert before you departed. If there is anything additional that we can do to regain your trust, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a wonderful place to go and get away for the weekend. Located just outside the gates of Biltmore and in the middle of Biltmore village. Within walking distance to great shops and dining. When you walk in it is a bit dark, but the warmth and old soul feel welcomes you to make you feel right at home. Great bar, food, and seating areas to relax and refresh! I would recommend staying here any time you get the chance if you are looking for a central hotel near the Biltmore. Great weekend getaway!

Room Tip: As for a room with a good view... there really are no bad ones.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends