“Beautifully Unique Hotel”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I went there with my husband on busines and found this lovely little jewel in Asheville's Biltmore Village neighborhood quite charming. From the stag chandeliers, massive lobby fireplace and equisite artwork that works its way into the decor you will be charmed and almost think you are at a hunting lodge someplace in Europe rather than the mountians of North Carolina. The room is adequately sized and the bathroom with its wood floor and wood paneled tub is nice and homey.It is a small hotel with only two elevators and the reception area is simply an ornate desk. Further quirkiness is that when you call room service you actually have to call that front desk and they will have room service call you back. It is prompt, though. So is the room service delivery. The hotel even has a very small spa and it was most enjoyable. There is a nice terrace on the roof and also a ballroom on the fourth floor for events.Very ornate. I quite enjoyed my stay there. The only flaw is that is located near a railroad and that might bother some people but on the plus it is located close to some charming old houses that have been turned into restaurants and boutiques that call art and crafts of all kind from local artists. I would stay there again and hope to in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Very nice. Had Christmas Day lunch there last two years. Last year had the four course in the dining room, good but, really enjoyed the year before eating at the bar off of regular menu. Either way you can,t go wrong with this place . Everything nice, from A to Z. Have not stayed there, only been to the restaurant . Wonderful lobby area with nice fireplace, great ambiance. Super place in very good location for shopping, Builtmore House and more.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This property is very nice. It would be great especially for couples. The only thing I did not like was the property does not have a concierge lounge for gold/platinum guest. They give you the option of a continental breakfast or 750 points, and $10 towards dinner of 500 points.
Each room is unique. The bathrooms are all like spas with the spa tubs and separate shower areas.
The spa and fitness center are on the 3rd floor in the main building.
Valet parking is mandatory and $18
The property is located right at the entrance for the Biltmore House.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I just returned from my stay. Very upscale hotel, beautiful interiors including great music and art. There were staff touching up the paint when I was here which showed me they care to maintain their facilities.

My issues were the staff in the restaurant at dinner and at the front desk at check-out could have been more attentive. The rooms were close to clean, but not perfect, and at this level I expect perfect (no hair strands, no crumbs, etc.) I did find hair in the tub and shower, and some crumbs on the floor in the bedroom.

Also, I didn't realize I would be charged a room deposit of one night's stay. There was an error on the reservations website and Marriott is fixing this.

So I was still very impressed with this property (great apple cider in the evenings by the way), but when you get my expectations up with the good (high-tech entertainment console in the room, well equipped fitness center, amazing artwork, beautiful decor and spacious rooms) you have to follow-it ALL the way through.

I would return, but with a slight reservation on the cleanliness factor, and no desire to eat dinner at the restaurant (I might try breakfast, and a place in the Village called Corner Kitchen was very good).

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank atlhotelcritic
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent visit. We greatly appreciate the favorable comments about our hotel. Cleanliness and restaurant staff are typically two of our top performing areas so your comments will encourage us to show better consistency and continuous improvement on those areas that fell short. We are thankful that you will return to the Grand Bohemian Hotel and hope that you will give us another opportunity in the restaurant so we may extend our normal high level of service. If there is anything additional that we can do, please do not hesitate to let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back as a returning guest.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was our first visit to the Grand Bohemian. We were attending the Land Rover Driving School at the Biltmore Estate and wanted to be close - you can't get any closer than this hotel unless you stay on the grounds. We loved the decor, but it's not for everyone. I know some people who would be turned off by the complete immersion in the hunting lodge environment, but we really enjoyed walking around, looking at the woodwork, the furnishings, the art work - even the stuffed fox over the fireplace.
We were very warmly welcomed and didn't have to wait long to check in even though there are only two desks for doing so. The first room they sent us to was large and beautiful with the large tub, but, it was on the third floor with only a small alcove window and a workman was painting the wall just outside. I don't mind that, but I'm allergic to paint fumes and I could immediately tell this was going to be a problem for me. We returned downstairs and the staff member was very friendly about the whole thing, accommodated my "special needs", and moved us to the second floor. She made sure that I knew that the second room would only give me a shower - not a tub - but that was fine by us. (In fact, the shower is beautiful and enormous.)
The room was immaculate, and even though we were almost across the hall from the ice machine we did not have any noise problems during our stay. Did we hear the train as it came through? Yes, but we like train whistles. It's all a matter of personal preference.
I thought about using the spa, and looked at the brochure in the room, but I didn't see any prices listed anywhere and was too lazy to call and ask about the prices. If I had been able to look at a "menu" of spa services with prices I probably would have tried to book at least a facial.
The recommendations for a casual restaurant (we arrived in jeans) were spot on, and we appreciated the fact that we didn't feel pressured to change and use the restaurant on site.
We will definitely stay again when we travel back to Asheville.

Room Tip: If you have great hearing and hate train whistles don't stay here. We love the sound of trains s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly F
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

First, the Great:
Beautiful ambiance, the lobby and the drive up entrance are phenomenal. My wife and I greatly enjoyed having a glass of wine by the 4-way see through fireplace in the main lobby each night. The room (Corner King) was gorgeous and spacious.
The location of the hotel is perfectly situated in Biltmore Village.
The guest staff's customer service is right up there with the Ritz's.
The building is impressive and simply beautiful.
The piano player on Saturday night was excellent. I requested a specific song by Elton John and he played it marvelously. He was impressive.
CNow, the not so great:
Noisy, our room had an adjoining door which provided very little help in serving as a sound barrier. The room next to us kept us up most of the night. Drunk girls and a guy talking way too late and singing happy birthday well past midnight. I had to call twice that night to complain about the noise. I wouldn't pay $20 to stay in a room with an adjoining door at this hotel again. I'm a young guy and a pretty heavy sleeper but the adjoining door was about as helpful as a cotton sheet at blocking out noise.
The spa was very small and cramped. I expected more from such a respected hotel. My spa treatment was acceptable but the atmosphere left a lot to be desired.
Lastly, the restaurant's menu, food, and wine were great, however our service was not the best. Our waitress assumed we didn't care for dessert. We asked her for a dessert menu, which she provided but never came back to take our dessert order. We had to track down a different waitress and ask her to just bring us our check. We were never provided a wine list for wines by the bottle. Furthermore, after our waitress dropped off our food she didn't bother to check with us to see if we needed anything else, I had to wait 10 minutes in order to finally get some ketchup.
Overall, I would rate my stay as adequate. However, if someone were to rate my business as adequate, I would be sorely disappointed. I don't mind spending a lot of money on a product, but I want to feel as if I'm getting value for my dollar. This place has potential, but it also has a ways to go if it wants to charge Ritz-like prices.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shawn G
Jeff C, Director of Food & Beverage at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I have shared your comments witht the rest of our leadership team so they may assist with ongoing solutions. I am dismayed to hear of the shortfalls in the dining room. We aim for very high standards and this experience leaves a lot to be desired. I can assure you that we will review this with the appropriate team members. Please accept my personal apologies.

I remain available by phone or email, please let me know when you return to Asheville.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the minute you step inside you are transported to another world! We were greeted by lovely music, exotic scents and mulled cider when we set foot in the Grand Bohemian. The décor is rustic yet elegant in all the public spaces and the original art work elevates this hotel into another category. Service was truly outstanding from the valets, front desk, room service and Red Stagg servers. We stayed a Sunday evening when there were fewer guests and it was quite relaxing. The soaking tub, upscale bathroom and bed linens really made it a luxurious experience. We were riveted to watching the Olympics and chose room service for dinner which was delicious and had a beautiful presentation. Breakfast in the dining room was leisurely and the service first rate!

The only things that were less than perfect are:
No pool or hot tub
used room service trays left in hallways overnight
hotel is surrounded by parking lots

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor at the end of the hall, very quiet, just what we wanted.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple