“Nice hotel, problematic spa policies”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
“Nice hotel, problematic spa policies”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Grand Bohemian while passing through Asheville. The hotel is magnificient. The style and atmosphere at the hotel is incredible, beautifully and tastefully decorated without being over-the-top. In that regard, the hotel is magnificent. My husband and I were very impressed with the overall look and elegance of the hotel. Also, the staff was great, very knowledgable and polite. Unfortunately, we had an issue with the spa. I am 8 months pregnant and made an appointment for a prenatal massage for myself and a sweedish massage for my husband. We made the reservations about 12 hours in advance of the appointment and no one told us about a cancellation policy. Since I'm so far along in my pregnancy, I would never make an appointment that couldn't be cancelled without penalty, because I never know how I'm going to feel, day to day. Needless to say, the next day I was not feeling well and called to cancel the appointments. At that time, were notified of the cancellation policy - that cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance or patrons are required to pay half price for the services. There is also an option to use the credit within the year towards a spa service. Since we live in NJ and are expecting a baby, there is no way we would be able to use the spa service within the year. I tried to explain this to the woman I was speaking to at the spa, as well as the fact that I was pregnant and not feeling well, however she was insistent about the cancellation policy. She was completely polite and professional, however it was very frustrating that this policy was being enforced when I am certain I was not even notified of the cancellation policy when I made the reservation. So overall, while the hotel itself is magnificent, the issue with the spa very much spoiled our experience. Losing $200 while expecting a baby is not acceptable to me and therefore we would not return to this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather I
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share some favorable comments about your experience with our hotel. I’m very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the hotel décor and our polite and knowledgeable staff. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience that our spa cancellation policy created during your visit. Your comments have been shared with our Spa Director for additional review and consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if we can be of additional service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
canfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We arrived on Good Friday and were very pleased with the appearance of the hotel as well as the staff. We were offered a glass of champagne and were offered menus of restaurants in the area upon asking where to eat. The rooms are lovely, this was the nicest bathroom that I have ever seen in a hotel, very large and luxurious. I was a little less "wowed" by the Red Stag restaurant inside the hotel.The menu was lacking, very limited I thought. The atmosphere was beautiful, we dined there on Easter Sunday for breakfast. I thought since it was Easter, there would be more on the menu, portions were small, a little pricey. Service was very good.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room, as I read reviews that rooms were loud. Also, ask to be in the main house...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is grand in every way. It is not just a hotel, it is a destination.

The staff lives up to the quality standards of this brand
The hotel provides from its decor to its service an experience for the traveler to remember and want again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn G
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hotels are always personal experience and this Grand Bohemian sets up itself up as a blend of hunting lodge( think tyrolenian mountain refuge) with a blend of art gallery. It aims to create a luxury weekend residence but somehow this doesn't work

So here is the breakdown

What's good - the rooms are well furnished and spacious, check in is swift and the staff are exemplary( apart from one waiter who seemed to have a personal chip on his shoulder a fact that stood out because everyone else was so courteous ). The valet service was excellent and very helpful

What's average - the public rooms were OK but there was sometime a feeling of limited space.

What' doesn't work - breakfast. Given that breakfast was from a limited range it was odd that it took forever to arrive. I mean I was able to eradicate through sections of the Wall St Journal before our order arrived. Breakfast tended to look beautiful but the food was average frozen fruit and disappointing yoghurts. This was a shame.

The wifi in the room continually goes down and this was a small thing.

But it was the atmosphere of the hotel that didn't work for us. The scented candles, the fact that thee were usually two trolleys in the corridor every time we went out from our room (on one day it was so busy with trolleys it was hard to get by). The art work was really awful - everywhere there were antlers, paintings of animals and this was a case of less would have been more.

There are better places in ashville and whilst the staff were very good the hotel needs to rethink some aspects of its layout and avoid the traffic congestion with those cleaning trolleys.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are best
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ESVincent
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent visit. We greatly appreciate your favorable comments about our staff service. I’m sorry to hear that your breakfast experience was slow and somewhat disappointing. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Chef and I can assure you that he will take the necessary corrective measures. In addition, it sounds like you may have experienced the trolleys while they were loading for the day. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate hotel leadership so other options can be considered to minimize the guest impact in the future. Again, thank you for your nice comments about our staff. We greatly appreciate the positive remarks about our guest service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Asheville. Do not hesitate to contact me directly, if I can be of additional assistance.
Sevierville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is a total work of art. Its beauty is only surpassed by the art work that is located all over the hotel. Each corridor has art work hanging on the walls. The fireplace in the lobby is so warm and inviting. Not your typical hotel lobby. We had a slight glitch when we got to our room. The TV did not work, so the hotel switched us to another room and gave us a free breakfast for our trouble. The room was very comfortable and the bed was wonderful. Had a great night's sleep. You are literally at the front gate to the Biltmore, so quite convenient. The only problem I see is the valet parking. Its $18.00 to park your car for the night, plus tip. So be prepared, or you can park your car elsewhere. The restaurant (The Red Stag Grill) is top notch and the Eggs Benedict were divine. We ordered room service our first night as we had spent a long day ay the Biltmore, and the burger was excellent and the garlic fries quite tasty. A bit pricey in season but well worth it.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the entrance so we heard a little noise, but not bad. One train went through...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel has been on my bucket list for sometime and I was pleased with our stay . They accepted our 17 pound canine companion (for a fee) and offered champagne at check-in. The room was beautifully appointed in a country manor house motif with every detail covered and the bed was absolutely one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in . We enjoyed a fine wine pairings meal in their dining room served by a great waitstaff. We felt Biltmore Village was charming!

Room Tip: We chose the standard king room and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is wonderful but Asheville is full of a lot of pot heads and people that are asking for money! What happened to Asheville? Why doesn't the city people clean there city up? The art is lousy and the shops are for gypsies! To the city people - Please clean your city up before there is no more city and no more Bohemian Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there because the city is awful! No more beautiful Asheville.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple