“Very different experience”

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Philadelphia, PA
“Very different experience”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on my visit to Asheville NC I enjoyed the interior of this hotel because it was very different. They had Art all over the walls on each floor of the hotel which was mixed with rustic vs gothic interior. Staff was very friendly, especially the waiters in the Red Stag Restaurant. Breakfast was very good with good selection. I did not have dinner here so I can't comment.

Very good location for Biltmore entrance and Biltmore Village down the street. It is not close to town you have to drive. There is a trolley that does the circuit for a fee and comes around every 30 minutes. The hotel offers tickets for trolley and Biltmore estate and is very accommodating and friendly. If you want something different, this is for you. Therefore I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: From a previous review I read, train was not an issue, but I did not stay in the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MCP2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here on business... This is one of the Autograph Collection Marriott hotels. Very rustic Bavarian feel to the property. Lobby has a large fireplace and sitting areas. The rooms are extremely nice with an open suite style between the bedroom, garden tub and bathroom. Great unusual place to stag when visiting Asheville.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chet J
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We like the Biltmore village area for a quick get-away (couple times per year)...normally stay at the "The Residences at Biltmore" (and like it)...this time we decided to stay "walking" from the restaurants...and tried the Grand Bohemian. It was "nice"....but using the valet parking was a pain...our room was in the Manor (across the street)...a "real" pain. And honestly, it's just not worth the money....and the hassle when you're ready to leave (and waiting for the valets to get your car). I'll take the extra few minutes walking and go back the "The Residences " next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Manor house.
1 Thank Matt723
Jeff C, Director of Food & Beverage at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on our hotel. We are sorry that you felt inconvenienced by the location of the Manor House. While it is a seperate building we work hard to make sure our guests recieve the same great service and experience. We hope you will look for us again when traveling to Asheville.

Warm regards,
Morton, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Bohemian in 2012, so when we decided to rreturn to Asheville, we booked another three night stay at the Grand Bohemian. From the moment we drove into the parking garage, we felt welcomed and comfortable. Not necessarily pretentious, but everything about the place is first class. The parking valets have to have some of the best training possilbe. They are the first impression of most visitors, and they know it! Their welcome and ongoing interaction is very consistent. Everytime I went to retireve or leave my car in the garage, they called me by name. I am impressed. The front desk staff double as the concierge and are right on top of what is happening in Asheville. Our fourth floor room, a standard King room, was very quiet, even though it did face the street. The rooms are nicely appointed and resonale sized. We were there three days, and never heard anything from the hallways or adjoining rooms. The hotel has two seperate buildings. We have always stayed in the main building, not the auxilliary building across the street. I assume the amenities are the same, but I cannot compare what I did not experience. the hotel is across the street from Biltmore village on one side and on the other side, the entrance to the Biltmore Estate. About two miles from Downtown, it is an easy drive. We did not eat at the Red Stag Bar & Grill, choosing to patronize a few of the many other highly recommended restaurants in Asheville.

There was a large price differential depending what nights you are staying at the Grand Bohemian. Our first night, a Tuesday, was $259, but each of the two following nights were $159. This was made very well known to me by the Marriott reservationist who assited me with my reservation several months earlier.

Our stay was in late April, after the Easter / Spring break rush was over. We were there for three days and I did not see any children. Strictly my observation, I would not describe the hotel as "kid friendly", catering to a more sophisticated clientele. We would definitely stay at the Grand Bohemian again.

We did not utilize the Spa services.

Room Tip: Ask for fourth floor in the main building
1 Thank Richard P
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grand Bohemian hotel in April for a late honeymoon trip and loved it. We picked this hotel because of the wonderful write-up in the Garden and Gun magazine. Andy Brown and John Luckett were so nice to us. They greeted us right when we arrived and said they were expecting us like we were the guest of honor that weekend. They even upgraded us to a complimentary suite and with a bottle of champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. They were not the only two that stood out to us that weekend during our stay. Everyone that works at the Grand Bohemian was extremely nice. We even made small talk with the cleaning people who were beyond helpful. It was the little things that made this hotel stand out like the valet service always making sure we had a one of their umbrellas before we left the hotel in the rain. They also called us a taxi to go to dinner one night in town. As far as the room, the suite inside the main building was amazing with a view of the entrance to the Biltmore. The bathrooms were very big and the jet tub was amazing. Probably the best I have ever been in. We ate at their restaurant, Red Stag, the first night and loved it. The Filet and Elk were amazing and probably the best I have had in a while. Definitely try the flash fried broccoli and mac and cheese. It was also nice to be so close to the Biltmore without having to be on site. There is a fancy McDonald’s next to the hotel that is said to be the most expensive McDonald’s built as well as a Starbucks and some shopping stores, which came in handy when I forgot to bring a dress for dinner that weekend. As far as other restaurants in Asheville I highly recommend Curate (book a month in advance) and Tupelo honey café. But definitely give Red Stag a try first since it is right at the hotel and it is a very fancy restaurant. You will see a lot of locals that go to Red Stag for dinner which should tell you something. My Husband and I cannot wait to return to Asheville and we already said we are not staying anywhere else but Grand Bohemian Hotel. We have traveled all over the world and I have to say the service at the Grand Bohemian is what puts this hotel in our top 5 hotel list. Stay here and you will not regret it.

Room Tip: We loved the 4th floor as it was very quiet and had a rooftop outside garden area.
North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for a weekend while in town for a wedding. The location of the hotel is unique and we enjoyed the accessibility to restaurants and shopping. Most notably, the staff was very courteous and attentive. They accommodated an early check in for us and were helpful with transportation and other needs.
The decor of the hotel is over the top. Not my style but the rooms were clean and beds comfortable. The hotel bar is nice to have and served the purpose of a drink before and after dinner.
Compared to other "luxury" hotels in the U.S we felt it fairly priced. I would have expected the quality of a few amenities to be a bit higher, but overall a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Grand Bohemian while passing through Asheville. The hotel is magnificient. The style and atmosphere at the hotel is incredible, beautifully and tastefully decorated without being over-the-top. In that regard, the hotel is magnificent. My husband and I were very impressed with the overall look and elegance of the hotel. Also, the staff was great, very knowledgable and polite. Unfortunately, we had an issue with the spa. I am 8 months pregnant and made an appointment for a prenatal massage for myself and a sweedish massage for my husband. We made the reservations about 12 hours in advance of the appointment and no one told us about a cancellation policy. Since I'm so far along in my pregnancy, I would never make an appointment that couldn't be cancelled without penalty, because I never know how I'm going to feel, day to day. Needless to say, the next day I was not feeling well and called to cancel the appointments. At that time, were notified of the cancellation policy - that cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance or patrons are required to pay half price for the services. There is also an option to use the credit within the year towards a spa service. Since we live in NJ and are expecting a baby, there is no way we would be able to use the spa service within the year. I tried to explain this to the woman I was speaking to at the spa, as well as the fact that I was pregnant and not feeling well, however she was insistent about the cancellation policy. She was completely polite and professional, however it was very frustrating that this policy was being enforced when I am certain I was not even notified of the cancellation policy when I made the reservation. So overall, while the hotel itself is magnificent, the issue with the spa very much spoiled our experience. Losing $200 while expecting a baby is not acceptable to me and therefore we would not return to this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather I
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share some favorable comments about your experience with our hotel. I’m very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the hotel décor and our polite and knowledgeable staff. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience that our spa cancellation policy created during your visit. Your comments have been shared with our Spa Director for additional review and consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if we can be of additional service.