Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
charlotte, nc
“Out of Luck”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I visited on June 13. Have stayed here many times and usually have a good experience. For the $300 fare you should. This time we could get no one to answer the Guest Express line in four attempts, so I went to the front desk at 5 p.m. to request that smaller pillows be delivered to our room as we were leaving. Returned at 10:15 p.m. to find our request had been ignored. Again tried the Guest Express. No answer. Went to the front desk to repeat my request. 15 minutes later 2 standard (large) pillows were delivered. Pillow cases were wet. This time we were Out of Luck.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jp1040
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your repeat business. On behalf of the entire staff, we greatly appreciate your loyalty and feedback. As you would expect, we are disappointed that your recent experience was less than what you experienced on previous visits. Please accept our sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced with your guest request item. This lack of service is certainly unacceptable and we can assure you the necessary corrective measures have already been taken. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Bohemian Hotel on your next visit to Asheville and can assure you that we will show improvement in this area and regain your trust. If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My son and I stayed in December (little behind in reviews) but we had a great stay and
Was across the street from the gates to the Biltmore. We had been to the Biltmore in the spring
And stayed downtown Asheville which is also very nice. But for the candlelight tour and the times thought it would be better to be closer and not the cost of Biltmore hotels. It was perfect location, great customer service and I will say the best hotel restaurant I have experienced in a long time.
Granted the Red Stag restaurant is not exactly kid friendly but they accommodated me and my son. Excellent food and service. The lobby in extremely inviting at this time of year and my son
Loved the theme as did I ...it is like a European hunting lodge great over holidays and decorated
Very tastefully for Christmas. Room was amazing and relaxing. Only few downsides is we stayed in building across the street from the main building so you had to cross the street with bags. And the tv system you could have been given tips to get it started..it was a little complicated at first.
Other than that perfect! Oh and for people who have never been to Biltmore it is close to gates but
You cannot walk. It is 2 plus miles if not more to the parking lot then you get a bus to the house. So that is not an option. Since I was reading reviews people were disappointed about walking... everything is far apart you need a car in the estate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 5025emy
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Perfect for a romantic get away. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries deliverd to you room on arrival will make you stay extra special. Get a suite with the jacuzzi tub. A real mans man will be comfortable in this hotel. Our room had a deer antler chandelier and light fixtures. It was very nicely decorated with beautiful artwork throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and quiet. Sign up for Kessler email notices if you want a special packa...
1 Thank Ginny G
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is not the Super Eight motel. So if your looking for cheap lodging and cheap in house dining, this place is not for you,
The Grand Bohemia is first class. The staff and their service was first class. Our room 222, second floor with walk out balcony was spotless. Big bath with divided and opaque glass doored commode and shower. A whirlpool tub big enough for 2 with double halfwall doors next to it that could be opened to see the large flat screen TV from the tub.
King memory foam bed that was just right. Fluffy robes in the closet.
In house restaurant pricey but a great dining experience and great food and OMG desserts ! Comfortable seating. Conversation friendly. World class, award winning Chef.
Public area décor is Bavarian hunting lodge. Very Biltmore. Lots of really great art. Take some time to wander around and really enjoy it.
Short walking distance to lots of unique shops and high end stores, and the gateway to Biltmore is across the street.
My only complaint, at these lodging rates there should not be an extra $18 charge to park in their basement parking lot.
If your not pinching pennies, this is a beautiful place to stay. Romantic even.

Room Tip: This is in a business area, albeit a very nice one, so there is no floor or side of the building tha...
1 Thank Gregg K
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, and the staff is excellent! They went above & beyond to make our short stay extra special, and they succeeded. We had some issues getting the free on-demand movie to work in our room, but the engineer responded very promptly and never gave up. It did take till the evening hours to get it working, so the front desk sent up a bottle of champagne and cookies and tea to make up for the inconvenience. A side note...don't let the high-tech remote control intimidate you. It has a roller ball that you use to access the different features with the Roomlinx program, such as use of a DVD and movies on-demand. All you have to do is hit the "channel" button or press a channel number and that will get you to regular tv programming. The rooms are beautiful and I love how the bathrooms have a separate tub and shower. Glad we stayed in the main building because the other building is across a busy street. The restaurant in the hotel had excellent service & food. We ate dinner and breakfast there. We will definitely return to this hotel. Thank you to the staff for making our stay so memorable!! Great job!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FSUgirlGreenville
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were at this hotel for four nights and enjoyed the location right outside the Biltmore Estates entrance and lots of shops and a wonderful restaurant the Corner Kitchen within walking distance. All of the staff from parking attendants to housekeeping were so well trained and friendly. It is a very dark property with a closed in feeling which may not appeal to some. There is a wonderful art collection throughout the hotel and I really enjoyed seeing the artwork as I came to and from our room. We had breakfast in our room every morning and room service was always on time and again so friendly. The staff is very well trained in hospitality. I would prefer a more open lobby but other than that enjoyed our time here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with large windows if you enjoy open space.
1 Thank JosieJo02
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Preface this by saying I spent about 175 days in hotels last year.

This hotel has much going for it: it is relatively new and the rooms are spacious. The decorating is not to my (nor anyone I know) style, but it is executed consistently.

However:
- It is very, very dark. They have selected an obscure theme (dark Bavaria - not reminiscent of the Bavaria I've visited) and done very well sticking to it. (e.g. vampires would be at home.) Wouldn't take much to lighten it up and make the hotel look very nice. Step one - get rid of the stuffed boar in a hat by the fireplace.
- There are no clocks or phones near the bed. There is one phone in a suite. Our smaller adjacent room with two queens has a tiny window.
- The wifi works intermittently. It is free - but works about 10% of the time. I offered to pay for functioning wifi, but this isn't available. Even at breakfast - near the lobby - no wifi. The waitress said it hardly ever works. Our in-room wifi (two rooms) has been reset a few times with very limited success.
- The tv system in-room is bizarre. This is perhaps THE first hotel on earth that doesn't offer pay per view. Yes, there is an on-demand system - but featuring old/bad titles. You have to turn the TV on and off to reset it to the main menu. Not the end of the world, but after a long day - would have been great to have a movie; even at $15.
- Poor insulation between rooms
- There is not a separate concierge/reception. We waited 10 minutes to check in. Reception has consistently had a line when we were in the lobby.
- No turn down service, unless requested, which, of course, one does not know until it does not occur. Daytime housekeeping re-cleaned on request…after failing to take away the dirty towel from the previous night, leaving dirty wine glasses, and cleaning around personal bath items.
- No laundry/dry cleaning service offered on the weekend. I learned this when my laundry was not picked up on Saturday morning…despite having followed the WEEKEND laundry instructions on the appropriate form. This has left me in a bind - no clean workout clothes until returning home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KAL2143
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback about your recent visit. I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our boutique hotel lodge theme. In addition, please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you experienced with our wifi and housekeeping service. We take a great deal of pride in our service standards so your comments have been shared with the appropriate leadership so the necessary corrective measures can be taken. Our Director of Engineering and wifi service provider have checked our system to ensure all routers are now working correctly. Please allow me to address a couple of your comments so it may enhance a future visit or assist other guests. Each hotel guest room includes a cordless telephone that can be moved to any location in the room and our in-room Bose Stereo System includes a remote control that allows guests to control the clock/radio near the bed or any area of your room. The Roomlinx TV entertainment system provides a number of complimentary movies, complimentary internet service, as well as access to Netflix. We greatly appreciate your favorable comments “This hotel has much going for it: it is relatively new and the rooms are spacious.” We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust and show you a true Grand Bohemian Hotel experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, if I can be of additional assistance.