“Nice place, Heavily themed, but, it is a Marriott in Sheep's clothing ($$$)”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We booked our "Babymoon" this past weekend (8-Jan-2011). It was pretty awesome with the snowing and all. The hotel was really nice. It is heavily hunter-lodge themed which comes off a tad corny, but it well done. We opted for the "Larger King Suite" room. This room had a bedroom, bathroom and living area. The bed was fantastic, better than other Marriott's I've stayed in (I'm platinum, I've been in my share). The bathroom was ok, but they use a curtain to separate the bathroom from the bedroom. This was kind of annoying. There was a horrible smell coming from the toilet area. Not sure what that was, perhaps reclaimed water for flushing the toilets? I knocked on cleanliness for the smell and for the large black hair that was in the toilet. Other than that, the place was spotless, not even dusty. The room had two windows, one in bedroom and one in living area. They were kind of small but fit the motif of the area. The thing that bothered me is that this was one of the more pricey hotels I've stayed in, and once you removed all of the antlers, it was still a Marriott. The room still had the typical Marriott hotel construction standards, but the rainfall shower was amazing. Even so, i've been in the junior executive suite at other Marriotts and was more impressed with the cheaper room. I'm not sure what's missing, I wish I could put my finger on it. Still, if you are looking for more pomp and polish than the typical Asheville offerings of of beds and Breakfast, this place is hard to beat.
Two last things. 1) Tip the valets. I get the impression that they aren't tipped very often. After I tipped the guy, the next time he inquired as to where we were going and made several (good) suggestions for food and entertainment. So, tip the guys, they're local and they know the good spots
2) Poseidon spa is really good. I set my wife up with a pre-natal massage and she came back to the room completely and totally happy with what she got. She's had a few massages but exclaimed that none have been as good as this one. Coming from her, that's a major compliment.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gr8hifi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed 5 January 2011

Beautifully decorated, comfy beds, pet friendly, big soaker tub, valet parking. What more could you ask for? I will visit Asheville just so I can stay at this hotel. Staff is fabulous. Room service was delicious and prompt. Felt very at ease even though it's an upscale hotel. A must stay if you are in Asheville.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Now that I've experienced The Grand Bohemian, I'll never stay anywhere else when I visit North Carolina's coolest, artsiest city.

It's hunting lodge-meets-art gallery at this 100-room luxury hotel in the heart of Biltmore Village. Original art is in every room, in every hallway and in the hotel's own gallery. And, it's GOOD art. No Thomas Kincade to be found here. (Apologies if I've offended any Thomas Kincade fans.)

For the price, you'd expect great service from the concierge and restaurant staff. You get it from them, but you also get it from the valets, the bellmen and the housekeeping staff. These folks understand hospitality and intend to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

We had trouble figuring out the high-tech, flat-screen TV, but Trevor was at our door about 30 seconds after we called the main desk. Speaking of the TV, you can watch it from the big, soaking tub in the bathroom, thanks to shuttered windows that open onto the bedroom (and close again for privacy).

The Marriott bought this boutique hotel last year as part of its Autograph Collection. They apparently are not branding it as a Marriott hotel and allowing The Grand Bohemian to "let its freak flag fly." The good news is that you can use and earn Marriott points when you stay here.

And, if you're traveling to Asheville, you really should.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Have_fun_will_travel
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Made last minute reservations based on tripadvisor reviews and was very pleased with our experience. The hotel is a bit tricky to find if you've never been to the area and are arriving at night - our GPS placed us across the street. The hotel is terrific - the rooms large - the breakfast very good. The location across from the Biltmore is very convenient - a number of restaurants a short distance away. Depending on the room location, there can be a bit of traffic noise. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2011

For as beautiful as the hotel is and the rooms being so spacious, the service was horrible. The valet took a extended amount of time, the hotel was less than friendly or helpful after I started having credit card issues that weren't of my control and I have had to call three times and leave messages for housekeeping to ask them to mail something back to me that I left in my room. As of right now, they still have not returned my phone call.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clemsonbelle21
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We chose the Grand Bohemian, based on past experiences with other Kessler properties. As expected, the Asheville location did not disappoint. The location is great, especially for visiting the Biltmore Estate, as it is across the street from the entrance. If you're looking to spend time in downtown, it is a few miles away, and we found a cab to run about $10 one way. The hotel boasts a hunting lodge theme throughout, which was a perfect fit for our winter vacation, especially given the amount of snow that fell during our stay. The lobby, while a bit small, has a gorgeous fireplace in the center, which was great for sitting around and playing cards. We decided to upgrade to a one bedroom suite at check in, and this decision proved to be well worth the extra money, as the extra space and jacuzzi tub were a big plus.

Overall if we return to Asheville, we will certainly return to the Grand Bohemian.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Good experience but they need to solve the hot water problem. Warm water is the best you can get, any time of day. Otherwise, rooms are beautiful as is the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family