“Comfortable, clean, character, gourmet, friendly, helpful & relaxing”

Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #24 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Black Walnut Inn earlier this month for three nights. A few adjectives to describe our stay include comfortable, clean, character, gourmet, friendly, helpful & relaxing. This particular inn has architectural connections to the Biltmore and although it was constructed more than 110 years ago, it has been completely restored/updated. We stayed in the Walnut Room. I would describe it as very comfortable and clean with plenty of character. For example, the fireplace in our room had some of the original tilework. Modern conveniences such as central air and ample hot water added to our comfort. The morning breakfast and early evening hors d' oeuvres were gourmet quality. The menu changed daily, which kept our taste buds wondering what was next. The host, hostess, & staff were friendly and helpful. We came to Asheville on a kids-free getaway to see the Biltmore, Blue Ridge mountains (driving & hiking), and visit the local restaurants/shops. The Innkeeper & staff provided us with specific tips and suggestions, as well as maps, and directions. For example, showing us the best place to park at the Biltmore to avoid the crowds or which trails to take with the most scenic waterfalls. After a day out, we would come back and find waiting for us: hors d'oeuvres & wine along with a relaxing time on the front porch. We also walked the surrounding neighborhood, which has an interesting historic flair in and of itself. All in all, The Black Walnut Inn met our expectations and is as good as, if not better than, any of the B&Bs we've visited in the past.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Talk about being non-compassionate! This inn has steep stairs and steps, and on the second day of a planned five-day visit, I wrenched my knee after breakfast on the outside steps and suffered great pain. Staying in the Camellia Room, I could not take a shower to get into the clawed tub, so I left to go to a old-school friend's home. She has a shower stall into which I could gain entrance. I called the inn later to explain my situation and to tell them I'm getting the next plane home. My husband went back to the inn to pack our bags and spoke with the owners. They were not accommodating at all. I disputed the amount on my credit card, but the owners wouldn't budge with this issue. I am stuck with a $620.00 bill for nights unused. I hope they need my hard-earned money that much, but I doubt it! Secondly, beware of this particular room! The owners live directly above it, and we could hear ever word they said, their comings and goings, and their dogs. To add insult to injury, the Asheville Trolley goes right by the front door of this room several times a day. No privacy! No peace and quiet! And, no humanness!

Room Tip: If you have any issues whatsoever with climbing stairs or steps, stay as far away from this establis...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Grammarian1966
1BlackWalnut, Owner at Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

After much thought as to how I could have pleased this guest, the only response that I may make is that we take extremely seriously our guests input. As a result, we will cut out our tongues so we may not ever utter another word that may disturb another guest, send the dogs to the shelter, make sure that the trolley installs little shades to use when passing the inn, arrange to have the street closed to all traffic,and finally, sell the inn to a not for profit that specializes in high risk travel groups.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

First, the Camellia Room which promised privacy is a claustrophobic's nightmare. While it appears to be roomy and private on the website, it lies directly next to the street where the Asheville Trolley runs frequently throughout the day. There is very little room to walk in the room. Embarrassingly, we could not find an additional roll of toilet paper anywhere in the bathroom. The bathtub cannot be used if you have any leg or knee problems as it is too steep to step into. Beware: the room is directly beneath the owners' apartment. We heard their every word, their comings and goings, and their dogs constantly. Next, if steps and stairs are a problem, stay away from this inn. The steps and stairs are steep and difficult to navigate. The parking lot is extremely tight and difficult to maneuver. About the only encouraging word I have is the breakfast was sumptuous. Overall, quite overpriced and disappointing!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Grammarian1966
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts, and this one ranks among our favorites. The service from the staff is exceptional and our hosts could not have been more accomodating and delightful. The grounds are gorgeous, and the food is outstanding! We highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We recently stayed two nights at The Black Walnut B&B. It felt like we were visiting friends in their beautiful home. Peter and Lori made the stay extremely comfortable and personal. The room was beautifully decorated, as is the entire home. And the breakfast! OMG! It was spectacular. The afternoon tea was delicious also, with Peter engaging conversation with guests. We met some very interesting people. You can of course partake in this friendly atmosphere, but are also left to enjoy your private time. It is very obvious that Peter and Lori take extreme pride in their B&B and offer the best of amenities. My husband said the coffee was the absolute best. They have a wonderful staff, and I was actually surprised at how many employees they had.
Just after one visit, you feel like you could go back to Asheville just to hang out at the Black Walnut with your buds Peter and Lori.
Skip the fancy, expensive hotels in Asheville and enjoy a stay at the Black Walnut.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Holly and were very happy with the accommodations.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I recently passed through Asheville. We were traveling with our dog so we needed a pet friendly B&B/hotel. I must admit that I am always worried when I book a room at a pet friendly location for fear it will not be as nice as other lodging options. The Black Walnut Inn was exceptional in EVERY regard. Our room was beautifully appointed. I really don't recall ever staying in a B&B where everything just "clicked"--room, hospitality, and food. Here it does! The Innkeepers, Lori and Peter, and all the staff are friendly and accommodating. The Inn itself is beautiful, both outside and in. We, as well as our dog, were made to feel welcome upon arrival--homemade dog treats were already in our room, and the wine and appetizer reception held every afternoon from 5-6 is an added bonus. A delicious breakfast is served in the mornings from 8-9. Lori and Peter are also very helpful in suggesting local attractions and restaurants. We cannot wait to return. You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We just enjoyed a wonderfull stay at the Black Walnut. Was reccommended by friends and more than lived up to expectations. Very friendly, professional staff led by Lori and Peter, the Innkeepers. A real "high" tea in the afternoon and a truly gourmand breakfast. Beautifully restored old home with interesting history and in excellent historical location in Ashville. we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Azalea overlooks beautiful gardens.