“Great B&B”

Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #24 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2005

We stayed at the Black Walnut and our experience was wonderful. The owners Lori (professional chef) and Peter (professional baker) were very friendly and helpful. Peter gave us great directions and insider tips before we went anywhere in the area.

The housekeeping staff were just as nice and went out of their way to make sure my husband and I had everything we needed.

There were 3-4 different items served each morning for breakfast (pastries, fruits, stuffed French Toast, etc.) as well as fresh squeezed juices, assorted teas, and coffee. At 5:30 p.m. we were treated to wine, tea, and assorted snacks (key lime tarts, chocolate covered strawberries, brownies, quiche, pepper and goat cheese wraps, etc.).

We stayed in the Holly Room. The bedding and towels were so soft and comfortable. The room was a nice size, and the bathroom had a steam shower.

The location of the Black Walnut (as with other B&Bs in that area) is not a short walk to downtown, but rather a short drive to downtown. I didn't mind though. The Black Walnut is in a quiet area, and there is parking in the back of the house.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank TNoble7734

A TripAdvisor Member
the midwest
Reviewed 22 June 2005

My husband and I were there on our honeymoon, and we couldn't have stayed at a nicer place. The house was welcoming and the setting was beautiful in the spring, though I imagine it would be equally lovely in the fall or any other season. The owners were extremely accommodating, knowledgable about the area, friendly, interesting, and of course, hospitable. Do take their recommendations on places to go for dinner. You may not be hungry, however, as the food at breakfast was outstanding--not to mention ample!--and the "tea" time was a most relaxing way to unwind after seeing the sights of asheville and to exchange observations with other guests, as well. We would highly recommend the inn--and have already done so to our friends--and are looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 June 2005

The Black Walnut is a beautiful home, lavishly furnished and decorated, about as close as you can get to downtown Asheville (though still almost a mile from downtown and not exactly a lovely walk either.) The food was rich and extravagent. The afternoon tea was elaborate and delicious as were the breakfasts. Almost too much for me honestly, especially the breakfasts which were so rich that it made it hard to set out for a day of sightseeing! The room we stayed in was very nice but expensive. This was my first B&B experience and I'm not sure that I will do this again--especially weighing in the cost. When you stay in a place this size, you don't have the privacy and quiet that you would in a hotel. That is what some folks love about it, along with the kind of friendliness and conversations that can happen among guests and the host. Lori and Peter are very friendly and welcoming--you'll be a part of their family for the time you are there, complete with the dogs! Their style is a little out of place with the formal decorating of the Inn which I gather remains from the previous owners. But overall, a first-class place, gorgeous home and grounds.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank 7mlf
Reviewed 15 May 2005

We met friends at the Black Walnut for the weekend and had a perfect stay! Lori and Peter were wonderful and very welcoming. The afternoon wine treats were the best I have had at any bed and breakfast and the breakfast was scrumptous! We stayed in the Azalea room which was beautiful. The bed very comfortable and the bed linens luxurious. Peter and Lori do have 2 dogs which they will let out of you like dogs. We do so we found this to add to the homey environment. We liked our weekend so much, we hope to go back at Christmas!

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank wunterwa
Reviewed 14 May 2005

We have stayed at this B&B twice and Lori and Peter have made it a wonderful experience each time. Afternoon Tea, usually with more wine than tea, is always a great place to engage in stimulating conversations and find out about what is going on around town. Asheville is a beutiful town and this is a wonderful place to stay.

3  Thank AramcoBrat
Reviewed 3 May 2005

What an amazing time we had this last weekend!! We were pampered around every corner.
We arrived on Friday night to find wonderful hors d' oeuvres and a selection of several white and red wines waiting for us. The owners, Peter and Lori White, create such a comfortable yet elegant atmosphere for all the guests to gather in the evening.
Our room was the charming Azalea room with silk drapes, a remote control fire place and the most relaxing bathroom (I want that bathroom in our home!). At night we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the Koi pond outside our window.
I'm not a morning person, but I looked foward to waking up there knowing that an amazing breakfast was waiting for us downstairs. From fruit, to awesome pastries (homemade--Peter was a baker for many years), to the lightest waffles and intricate crepes, breakfast was yet another moment of peaceful bliss.
When we left Sunday afternoon I felt as though I was leaving family (the good kind). As we hugged them goodbye tears filled my eyes as we departed the most relaxing weekend away that my husband and I have ever experienced. We're already trying to find the next weekend we can steal away to the Black Walnut!

8  Thank Lori-ExpeditionMom
Reviewed 2 May 2005

My husband and I spent four glorious days and nights at this bed and breakfast. The inn owners Peter and Lori told us on the phone that they would spoil us during our stay. Boy did they ever. This was one of the nicest vacations we have had. The gourmet breakfasts, afternoon wine hour and the beautiful rooms were to die for. They pay a lot of attention to detail, fresh flowers, the softest towels and sheets I have ever used. The food was the most memorable and the service was incredibe. Breakfast just went on and on with one fabulous treat after another. Afternoon tea/wine hour was something to look forward to. I couldn't wait to get back to the inn. The owners gave us wonderful suggestions for dining and entertainment. I will definitley stay here again and will recommend this inn to everyone. I'm already planning my next stay.

• Stayed: April 2005