“Difficult to get them to follow their cancellation policy...”

Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #24 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2006

Never made it to The Black Walnut, but must agree with the Jan. 15, 2006 review----once they have your money it is very difficult to get it back. Cancelled our reservation 56 hrs. prior to arrival. According to their policy we were due to be charged 50% of our stay. After 2 very unpleasant phone conversations, the owners still insisted they were going to charge our Visa 100%(over $400) . Wrote them an email, reiterated their policy and mentioned that we would include their unwillingness to honor their policies in our reviews. They emailed us back, decided to honor their own policy and charge us 50% of our reservation fee.Their email also suggested attorney action if we wrote any reviews. I always review my experiences honestly & honestly I would avoid the hassles of The Black Walnut. The B&B business in Asheville is very competitive. Why run the risk of hassling over policy/deposits? I should have been warned by the Jan. 15, 2006 review

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
12  Thank nwad

Reviewed 4 September 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our 30th anniversary. It couldn't have been better. I checked out (in person) 6 B&B's in Asheville and decided on this one. And I'm glad I did.

The rooms are beautiful, not too stuffy, but still elegant; the windows open for fresh mountain air. They spared no expense on the bedding - very comfortable.

The food is excellent. The innkeepers, Lori and Peter are former restaurant/pastry chefs. The breakfasts were outstanding with fresh baked pastries to start, then a fruit dish (like poached plums with cream), and finally a hot gourmet entree (waffles, frittatas or quiche) and always served with some breakfast meat.
And there were individual dining tables, not one big one where you are forced to eat and talk with strangers.

Each evening we sat on the huge porch in rockers, sipped wine and enjoyed light snacks.

One last note. The innkeepers had an excellent sense of when to engage in conversation, and when to leave you alone. We will definitely go back and have already recommended it to others.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank Novaleska
Reviewed 21 August 2006

I saw this property on the internet whilst planning a three week trip to the Smokey Mountains. I called and booked directly and it was as easy as pie. During our stay we lodged at 4 and 5 star hotels, but I'll tell you they didn't come close to this place. It's a beautiful property, superbly decorated, just walking distance from the trendy town of Asheville.
What gave it the edge though were the owners, Peter and Lori. They are both cooks and every morning would prepare an unbelievable three course breakfast which, three weeks after returning, I am still dreaming about. I have never tatsed such lovely food. Each night there are wine and pastries waiting for you and the owners were so knowledgable, welcoming and charming that I don't think I'll ever stay in an impersonal hotel room again.
Every day the owner would draw us a little map of where we wanted to go and they also saved us time and money with their recommendations. We left with hugs and if I have my way we'll go back very soon. I have told everyone at home that this is a perfect holiday experience. Thank you Peter and Lori for a wonderful time and for letting us stay in your magnificent home.
Martin from Chelmsford England

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Phoebe'sdad
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We have stayed in many B & B’s, but the Black Walnut tops the list. It has everything: a beautifully restored and decorated home, wonderful food, and welcoming, enjoyable hosts. The grounds were very well maintained, the rooms spacious and well-appointed, and the décor imaginative but very tasteful. There was a complimentary cocktail hour every night, with several homemade hors d’oeuvres and nice wines. A different homemade dessert was set out each evening. Breakfasts were delicious and beautifully served, with an individual silver service at each table, along with fine china and linens. Both of the hosts were fun, informative, and enthusiastic. One couldn’t do better!

1  Thank FrequentTraveler014
Reviewed 26 June 2006

The hospitality at this B & B was wonderful! Quite honestly, we would go back just for the food. Every morning, the proprieters would cook a very elegant 3-course breakfast. We sat in a lovely little tea room. Very CLEAN, and the bed was wonderfully soft! Afternoon tea was more like a gourmet meal-with wine. The owners were very friendly and recommended places for us to go. It was a few minute's drive from down town. This was a wonderful stay that I would highly recommend!

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank katiemoormann
Reviewed 30 May 2006

After returning from overseas, I wanted to spend a romantic weekend alone with my then-girlfriend, and Lori and Peter at the Black Walnut really catered to my plans. The Black Walnut is set in the historic district of Asheville, on Montford Ave, minutes from the downtown and a short drive from the Biltmore Estate. I found it online through this website, and was so impressed with the reviews and their own website, I had no reservations about booking site unseen.

First, I reserved the Azelea room online via their nicely detailed website. I traded a few emails with Lori and we were set. The room itself had a remote activated fireplace, a large chair and a half for couples' lounging, a four post king sized bed, and a large two person whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It was very comfortable and elegantly decorated with a mix of traditional and art decor. The bed was so incredibly comfortable that we asked Lori what kind of mattress it was, and shortly after bought one for ourselves!

When we arrived Friday evening, we were greated by Lori and taken to our room. SHortly there after, we were treated to a bottle of wine, and reminded that evening tea and wine was at five. We went down to the foyer and living room for some hors d'vours and a variety of wines (I think tea was available, but with all the good wines...). We mingled with the other guests and shared stories with our hosts. We found Peters stories to be very humorous. Our hosts then inquired about our dinner plans and offered great suggestions, which we took. They made the reservations for us, making it very easy to just relax and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning came with a wonderful three course breakfast featuring belgium waffles with bananas foster. Delicious. After breakfast, I inquired about tickets to the Biltmore Estate, which they had on hand, and then was given an insiders' briefing on the Biltmore, which saved us some time and hassle dealing with the crowds. While touring the gardens of the Biltmore, I proposed to my girlfriend and she accepted. We returned to the Walnut for afternoon tea, and found a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room.

Sunday breakfast was even better than Saturday, with an egg quiche and biscuits with creamy gravy. We checked out and thanked Peter and Lori for a lovely stay. We both hated to leave and hope to return again soon! I encourage anyone who reads this to treat themselves and someone they love to a wonderful experience at the Black Walnut.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank RockyTheDog
Reviewed 16 April 2006

We had a wonderful 3 night stay. We enjoyed the
hosts, the breakfasts were great. They were very
helpful with ideas where to go for dinner. We would
certainly go back. The inn was beautifully decorated.
A+