“Great Atmosphere - Poor Service”
Review of Olive or Twist - CLOSED

Olive or Twist
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Woodfin
Description: (formerly Decades Restaurant)
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a group of 13 for a bachelorette party go here last weekend. I made the reservation for 7:30 PM and had to call and push it back to 8 PM. They were very friendly and accommodating about me having to change the time. When we walked into the restaurant, we were greeted by the live jazz band, which was wonderful. We were so happy that they made the bride feel so special. We loved the dancing and music and the crowd was very fun. However, we ordered several martinis and at $11/ drink they were VERY small and VERY watered down. We all felt that they were a waste of money. The drinks were a huge disappointment. I would suggest bigger glasses, better prices, or a new bartender. The waitress started out being very friendly and accommodating, but that quickly changed as she started to get confused about our orders. We were all very friendly and apologetic to her, but she lost her temper with us and slammed the check on the table and said "This sucks! It should all be on one check!!" At $40-$50 per check, how would one person ever be able to pay for all 13 of us? That would be well over $500. We don't blame her totally as management should have assigned two waiters to our table. A party of 13 is just too overwhelming for one person to handle. Not to mention, we were seated at 8:15 and didn't get our food until almost 10 PM. All in all the food was good, the atmosphere was very fun, but the drinks and service left something to be desired. I don't know that we will be going back there any time soon.

1  Thank Rachel D

Reviewed 18 May 2014

What the? While the dancers seemed to be having a good time, we had to beg for service. It was slow, it was shoddy, it was bad.

Finally, we get to place our order, the food comes out--minus one dinner. The rest of politely wait, when it's apparent my friend's food is not forthcoming, she graciously urges us to eat our meals. Several bites in, another server stops by to say, Sorry, we are out of the mussels." We look at each other a little stunned.

Balsamic vinaigrette was a bit on the vinegary side so we asked for some olive oil. Guess what? There was no olive oil in the restaurant.

My food was good; since we were having such difficulty, I played it safe with the Twisted Burger.

Probably won't be back. Too many good choice in Asheville to tolerate this kind of experience.

ashevilledude11, Owner at Olive or Twist, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

We want everybody to have a good time at Olive or Twist. I want to apologize for the service you received while dinning that is not what we want. As far as the Mussels go the server should have known from the board in the kitchen. Balsamic vinaigrette is made of vinegar and oil so it is going to have the taste of strong taste of vinegar. I hope you will return to Olive or Twist to make your experience better that this visit

Reviewed 17 May 2014

First off - I posted this same review on Google:

We went here even though other reviews were "luke warm". We travel a great deal and spend a lot of time looking for unique and hopefully locally owned restaurants. Enter the Olive or Twist.

The atmosphere and ambience was exactly what we wanted, the menu was solid and the location great. The service was some of the worst we've had. And these are only the highlights:
1. My rib eye was done medium rare, my spouse's filet medium. Exactly the opposite of what we'd asked.
2. Our dinner salads arrived AFTER the entree.
3. My wife's vegetable medley arrived 3/4 the way through her entree. Seems the wait staff had confused here vegetable.
4. Had to chase down our wait staff - even when we wanted to pay the bill.

The food was tasty but my ribeye was very fatty.

The music was GREAT. Very talented musicians with a terrific sound.

I asked to see the manager. He arrived, apologized profusely and offered to comp the meal or part of it. My wife and I wanted a nice evening out and refused to let a poor meal and poor service ruin our enjoyment of the music. We paid the entire bill full up (before gratuity $100+) - except for a comped Crème brûlée. This allows us to legitimately complain.

----Our suggestion, eat somewhere else then go have a cocktail and listen to some very good jazz.

I am glad you liked the atmosphere and the ambience at Olive or Twist. I don't know what happened to the server that night . Once again let me apologize for not meeting your standards. I offered to recook your order that night and you said no everything was good and did not want me to comp it so I ask and did deliver a round of drinks and dessert to your table at no coat to you. As for the Ribeye I never heard anything that night about your steak being fatty. Most Ribeye does have more fat that any other steak that is what gives it the flavor. If you ever back in the area I would like to invite you back to Olive or Twist to try and correct the problems you had

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I took a group of conference attendees to this restaurant on a weekday night. The restaurant wasn't crowded. We had several appetizers. I had a salad and ribeye. Both were delicious. My group enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

This was recommended by someone at the desk at the Renaissance Hotel for lunch. We entered sometime after 1 on a Saturday. No one was there to greet us and there were no other customers in the place. Finally the bartender came and told us to sit anywhere. He was also our waiter. I just has French onion soup and salad, was pretty good but nothing extraordinary, husband had Philly & cheese which he said was also pretty good. Our waiter was good, no complaints. Later a group of 4 came in and were seated, while he was waiting on them, another 3 people came in but since no one was there to seat them they left. This actually could be a very nice place but I'm afraid that with the lack of lunchtime personnel, this place will soon go under or maybe should only open in the evening.