“Decent, Cheap, Clean, Noisy”
Review of Sweet Peas Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sweet Peas Hostel
Atlanta
“Decent, Cheap, Clean, Noisy”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

They are upfront with how noisy it is, so it is hard to complain about that. The hum and vibration of the nightlife from downstairs ends around 2 am. (I felt like I was sitting on the engine of a large ship or airplane--that kind of noise.) But if anyone is up and about in the hostel, you will hear that as well. The wood floors and layout provide no chance for quiet or a good night of sleep.

But, if you don't mind that, this is a very clean and safe place, cheap--right in the heart of downtown Asheville. The room where the showers are is co-ed, but each stall is private and locks. Separate bathrooms for male/female. I did not have to wait for a bathroom or shower. They offer bunk rooms, private pods or private rooms. I was in a private room and appreciated having my own sink and mirror in the room. Private rooms do not have any windows, so they are very dark. I believe the bunk rooms have a lot of natural light in them and one set of bunks faces windows--so depending upon your preference, you may want to ask about that when you are making a reservation.

The "23 Rankin Ave" address put in your GPS should lead you right to it. Parking is directly across the street and affordable for a downtown location. You will need to drive if you are going to Biltmore Estate, but can walk anywhere else. When you first arrive, there is a call button. They will buzz you in. Walk in and follow the hall all the way to the end. Door on right leads you to the desk. After check in, you will have a key card to get in and out. No curfews.

The lady at the desk was nice and friendly. There is someone on staff at all times--if they aren't at the desk you can knock on their door if there is a problem. Nice laundry facility and kitchen facilities--fully stocked. Again, everything very clean.

There were extra blankets set out by the laundry room. I would recommend grabbing one--it gets chilly at night. Plenty of outlets for charging your electronics.

Very lovely place, nicely decorated. This was my first experience with a hostel and it wasn't bad. I much prefer luxury, but if it isn't in the budget, this is a nice alternative.

Check out by 11:30. They provide a laundry bag for you to place your linens and towels in. Leave that by the laundry room on your way out. There is a drop box to leave your key.

Room Tip: Two people can share a private room--may be cheaper than two bunks. BOOK EARLY.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Very disappointed with the customer service while trying to make reservation. Was told to call back at a specific date since they don't take reservations many months ahead. Called back to confirm this in coming up to the time. The website clearly states (as of right now) that reservations don't open up until 10am. Once I was able to reach the front desk after 10am, I was informed that they had been taking reservations since 9am and were nearly sold out. Voicing my complaint the woman said she "had no time" to deal with my issue. I might not be able to make my trip now since most of the area is booked up.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjswing
Cleveland,OH
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at Sweet Peas for 3 nights in mid June with some girlfriends. We all had pods and those are definitely nicer than staying in a bunk. The place is very clean. The showers are shared by both men and women, but you have a locked private area to shower in.
What other reviewers say about noise is very true. The bar downstairs is loud and the earplugs only semi-work to cancel out the noise. Also, we had a guy in another pod that snored so loudly, the whole place was kept up. That was the only annoying thing about the trip. If you snore that loud and you know it, you might want to book a hotel room or have a bunch of cranky travelers to deal with the next morning.
If you like the bar scene, this is the perfect place to go. You don't spend a lot of money per night and it's right in the middle of downtown so leave your car and walk everywhere! It was a nice stay and great for on the cheap!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a pod
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The hostel is essentially an open, modern loft space that is divided into, common area (kitchen, dining, & living), private room, rooms with bunk beds, and rooms with pods. Pods are bunk bed units equipped with individual locker, shelves, lamp/light, outlets, and a curtain. You get a lot more privacy staying in a pod and it's well worth the $10 extra.
As mentioned in other reviews, the noise level could be a problem to some since there are no door into each room and the walls are more like dividers that don't go all the way to the ceiling. Sound/noise travels easily between spaces. It wasn't a big concern for me and I enjoyed my stay.
The hostel is clean. Coffee/tea anytime. No alcohol allowed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Baltimore
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I loved this place. Super clean and friendly, great amenities, well located. The noise was an issue, but I just stayed out until midnight (on a Tuesday night) until it ended. The noise in the AM was also an issue (being an urban location, I could hear garbage trucks, etc) and it was at that point that I wished I had used the ear plugs. But for the money, the access to a nice kitchen and laundry, comfy living room area, and a clean place to sleep, this is a super place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Thought this place was great till after I pay and get the tour the guy says here are complimentary ear plugs cause of the bar downstairs. Huh?! Ok, I hoped it wasn't that bad... But alas even with eat plugs and my pillow over the vibration of the bass from the hip hop/rock music and even sometimes the lyrics could still be heard. Don't go here if you want to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed 9 April 2013

For me, I thought this hostel was wonderful! It was extremely clean with nice people, secure entry, and an awesome, downtown location. I can agree with everyone that there is some noise, but, for me, it wasn't a huge deal (the music coming from the bar was even kind of soothing).

A friend and I both stayed in pods and thought they were a great value and really a cool concept (better than bunks, I think!). I also don't think I've stayed in a hostel that freakin' clean so I would definitely stay here again and recommend a stay to anyone who is looking for a good, cheap place to stay in Asheville.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends