“Beautiful boutique hostel, great staff, spotless facilities”
Review of Sweet Peas Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sweet Peas Hostel
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I just loved Sweet Peas, and I think it rates as the most beautiful hostel I've stayed in at the US. It looks even nicer than the photos on their website. It's an open plan loft, wood floors, raw brick walls, with quality, comfy furniture, great cooking facilities, laundry, multiple shower units with good water pressure and heat, friendly and helpful staff and a safe and comfortable environment.

It's wholly appropriate too in green, progressive Asheville to see they have a composting pot, recycling, and filtered water.

A word of warning however. The loft is above a bar and weekends can be quite noisy through the floor, so if you are a light sleeper and (the provided) ear plugs don't work for you, this might not be the most restful place you could find. You also need to respect that the open plan layout allows sound to travel across all the bunks, so being a tad drunk and noisy after midnight is not going to be welcome. I've both cursed offenders, and then been one, so I can't really complain.

The pods are a nice addition if you're finding old fashioned bunks a little too public. The pod allows you to cosy down with a private power supply, a curtain and a few shelves to make a tiny home. Welcome if you're in the mood for privacy.

Also, the staff are forever cleaning and keeping the loft and the kitchen and bathrooms in a spotless, gleaming condition. It really is like the dream flat I've always wanted, but tidier than anything I would likely live in!

Overall I think Sweet Peas can only complement your Asheville experience. It's incredibly central, bang in downtown and the staff are passionate about Asheville, the music, the lifestyle and the beautiful mountain setting with it's ample hiking opportunities.

Room Tip: Pods might give you more privacy.
There are newer reviews for Sweet Peas Hostel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Owner was friendly enough until a phone went missing. Accusers allowed to approach me while I was in bed (a semi-private pod), then he followed up with 2 more visits, WHILE I WAS IN THE BED, and had me open my locker which contained my undergarments. Phone was found, with no apology from the owner or guarantee that I would be made to feel safe. This not only was aggravating, but embarrassing. A more thorough search and a little patience and time for the phone to be found would have one a long way in this situation.

3  Thank Gypsy614
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The people working and staying at the hostel were so lovely, it was a very "homey" feeling right off the bat! You really had your own personal space with shelves and a curtain barrier (this was perfect as I was feeling a bit ill.) Others socialized by playing board games and watching TV, the kitchen was really lovely and coffee and tea were provided. Location was right in the middle of downtown so there was plenty to do just walking around. My only complaint was the really low bass that vibrated through my pillow the entire night from the club downstairs. Even earplugs couldn't block it out, since the vibration still shook my bed. Otherwise though, really a lovely place! Maybe this isn't an every night thing, but if you're a light sleeper, I would consider it. Also I heard others complaining of the same thing the next morning.

Room Tip: Perhaps a top bunk would have been quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Corley S
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was my first hostel experience and it was a good one. I was pleasantly greeted and impressed by how cute and clean the place is. I felt very safe and comfortable. I parked across the street at the Rankin Ave parking deck and was able to walk everywhere I needed to for my stay downtown. There is slight noise from the bar next door on a Friday night, but the hostel provides you with earplugs and the pods have noise canceling curtains so I was not bothered at all. I slept pleasantly and would definitely stay again. I was provided with clean linens and towels and a locker to secure my belongings. The bathrooms and showers were super clean and the common areas are comfy and bright. I also wanted to mention that the coffee at the hostel is excellent! I recommend staying here if you just need a place to rest while in Asheville.

Room Tip: I had a pod on top and kind of wish I had one on the bottom. For most a top pod will be ok, but I w...
2  Thank 413dreaming
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Sweet Peas is in a fantastic location in Asheville, and has an excellent layout. Great thought has been given in designing the hostel and it works brilliantly, with wonderful light in the communal areas, a spacious kitchen and powerful hot showers. Not a speck of dirt to be seen anywhere, friendly staff and a daily recommendations sheet of what's on in the area.

We stayed in a private room which come complete with sink. Bed was comfortable and noise didn't bother us at all.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Exceptionally clean and well-maintained.I arrived on a Sunday and left on a Wednesday, so I managed to avoid the super loud music of live entertainment at the nearby Brewery. The hostel was relatively quiet most of the day until the bar's piped-in music picked up at dinnertime. It was easy to drown out the noise with earplugs, though, so no worries. The staff was friendly, the other patrons were generally friendly (except for a few bar hoppers that assumed everyone wanted to hear their plans for the night at 11 pm!). The guests were almost 50/50 young college-aged adults and older travelers (50s-60s). I was there with my daughter for her 16th birthday and didn't have any issues with inappropriate behavior. We stayed in two private pods, which is what I would do if I ever visited again. The location could NOT have been better! We parked in the garage on Rankin Ave and walked everywhere in Asheville. It was a great "base camp" for our trip!

Room Tip: Stay during the week to avoid the sound of live music at the nearby brewery!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Had a great stay here while visiting Asheville for a weekend with a friend. The location was great for exploring Asheville on foot. The open layout and clean, modern design make for a nice atmosphere.
As others have mentioned, it's pretty noisy at night -- both from music and snoring guests. That said, if you are a solid sleeper, plan to stay out until the bars close, and/or bring your ear plugs, then you should be ok.
Overall, I definitely enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to others - so long as noise at night isn't a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Pods are great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends