“Like an old fashioned ice cream parlor ... Only better!”

The Hop Ice Cream Cafe
Ranked #14 of 44 Dessert in Asheville
Price range: US$2 - US$6
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Homemade Ice Cream and Vegan Ice Cream. Organic Coffee & Espresso. Birthday Cakes and Parties. Locally owned.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our new favorite place for a sundae or a banana split or some other decadent ice cream treat is the Hop Ice Cream Cafe on Merrimon Ave. Sometimes in a town where the finest restaurants in the world are, you lose track of simple pleasures. Now while this ice cream cafe offers unusual flavors and treats, it allows basic childhood memories to be relived. What is better than a hot fudge sundae or a banana split on a hot summer evening? They have a treat I'm looking forward to next time in that I saw a lovely older woman enjoying. It was decadent .... German chocolate cake with 4 scoops of ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and a cherry!!!! I think she was sharing it with a friend, but I could have put a serious dent in it!!! can't wait to go back!

There are newer reviews for The Hop Ice Cream Cafe

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I took two friends to The Hop on Merrimon tonight. Walked in, three employees behind the counter. One guy waiting on his high school friends, the other two cleaning behind the counter complaining about the goopy mess they were sticking to. The place was a pig sty, run down and dirty. We stood there patiently waiting for someone to notice us, or maybe the dude chatting up his friends might get the hint that he should wrap it up and take care of the paying customers. The girl prattling on about the disgusting floor looked at me (unconcerned that we were waiting......) and said, "I am stuck here in goop!" My response - "Well, that's unappetizing." She didn't get it. The third kid was sweeping the floor, and without washing his hands, alternately picked waffle cones off the waffle machine and rolled them, them went back to handling the nasty broom. Then the manager appeared. I thought maybe we would get waited on. Oh no. He actually made eye contact with me and turned around and walked in the back.

This crew had absolutely no concept of customer service. The experience was appalling. I walked out because I knew I couldn't eat anything there. Oh - did I mention there were three dogs in the "cafe?" Since when is it ok to have dogs in an establishment that serves food? Nasty, disgusting, pit. The ice cream might be good, but beware of what is being transmitted onto your cone!

1  Thank Farosmith
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

It might take you 20 minutes to make up your mind about your order...but you will not be disappointed! ! Family friendly.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

What a fun ice cream joint! They even have vegan ice cream. In fact, of the flavors we tasted on the day of our visit, the adults liked the vegan ones best (think almond milk with lemon).

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I didn't actually eat AT The Hop, but I was lucky enough to find a pint of their vegan "chocolate banana creme" at another location, and it was FABULOUS. A blessing for this non-dairy girl!