“kind of retro”

Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Knoxville, TN
“kind of retro”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I liked this place. Its kind of retro, the way hotels used to be before they all became fancified with their interior hallways with ugly carpet. Stayed here recently when we made our annual visit to see the Asheville Tourists baseball team.

The landscaping is nice and well kept and it was a very short drive to the stadium. My bed was like a marshmallow but I kinda like em that way. Toilet area is tiny so imagine you're in a motor home and go with it. No problem for me as I'm a small person. Several light bulbs missing or burned out and meant to tell desk but forgot. Sorry.

Staff was excellent, pool had a nice vibe to it with many rooms overlooking this feature. Nice hot breakfast and we didn't break the bank to stay here.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room facing pool rather than parking lot if you want a better view but it may be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Garry-Appleseed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great room with king bed. Nice decor, clean and in good shape. Very quiet. Pet friendly. Bed was wonderful. Didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Breakfast buffet ess good too, eggs, bacon, biscuits, grid, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, pastries, etc. I would definitely stay here again. We had minimal contact with the front desk but they were nice. Wifi was fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph L
Pikeville, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 June 2014

upon arrival I was given a room that was not ready at 4:30pm. When I went back to the desk and informed the desk clerk, Mark, he was rude and tossed the room card key towards me instead of handing it to me, which is offensive to people. I called him on this and he said he dropped it, however my fiancé saw it and commented on it and observed the deliberate behavior, also he could not make eye contact with me. Another staff member, Chris, came out from the office and said he heard the conversation. He never said that Marks behavior was unacceptable. We were given another room but when we got to that room the compressor in the air conditioner was making a loud roaring sound that was very loud and deafening. We went back to the front desk to get another room and Chris waited on us and we were given a third room. This room was satisfactory. Throughout this ordeal we had to move our luggage each time, not to mention that my fiancé is disabled. I later went back to the front desk and talked to Chis who was also there with Mark. I told him that I did not like the way Mark treated me and I felt and apology was warranted. Mark continued to insist that he did not toss the room key toward me on the counter. Eventually Mark gave me less than a sincere apology and I shook his hand to try and make the situation right. Also we had asked for a certain type of room when I called and made the reservation. Mark said they did not hold rooms even though I was told by the person who took my reservation over a week before that they would hold that type of room. When we went back to the desk the second time in about 5 minutes Mark said there were no rooms available even though we saw several rooms unoccupied and told him so. He told us they had already reserved those rooms and they were not available. We later saw that of the three rooms that were vacant only one had a guest in it during our three day stay. Also he told us initially that we could get one of those rooms but when he became rude he stated they had already been taken. All of this occurred in less than 20 minutes upon our arrival and had to move three times. When I went to check out 3 days later, Mark was again at the desk so I spoke to him and wanted to shake hands with him and I told him "no hard feelings" he reluctantly extended his hand and gave a quick soft loose hand shake and would not even make eye contact with me. I paused to get him to look at me and he said "let go of my hand and don't ever touch me again". So I Iet go of his hand. I laughed as I walked out the door because I was actually very angry and this was better than loosing my temper. The sad part of this is that I have stayed at this particular Days Inn for over 14 years or longer for more than a dozen times with not a single complaint until now. I am very disappointed and even though Chris intervened he never acknowledged that Mark was wrong even privately to me when he saw me in passing however he did inquire several times to see if everything was ok. Thanks to Chris for handling the situation personally and professionally. BUT MARK LIED! and he knows it and so did the other staff who witnessed it. Maybe Days Inn has a policy of backing an employee even when they know that that employee was wrong. I feel that me and my fiancé deserves an official apology. Thank You ,Bobby Jones 415 Bartlett Rd. Pikeville N.C. 27863

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place was recommended by a friend that works for Wyndham hotels. My daughter and I were just stopping for the night on our way to our destination. The lobby and front desk staff were very nice but the issue was our room. The pictures are very deceiving as the rooms were very small. Our mattresses were very old and sunk in in the middle. Pillows actually smelled like someone had just recent slept on it and they were never freshened or the cases were never changed. Everything else seemed clean. The bathroom was the worst though. Commercial toilet and old tile and tub with paint chipping off. Very poor attempt at updating. Most posts boast about the breakfast and even though there were plenty of options available with the breakfast bar, everything was cold except for the coffee. We will be staying somewhere else on our way back through.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family