“Not a bargain if you can't get a good night's rest”

Days Inn Asheville/Mall
Ranked #49 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not a bargain if you can't get a good night's rest”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed 3 nights; thought the motel was well located and our room was in a quiet spot well back from the busy street. Front desk staff was not overly friendly, which was very different from our general Asheville experience, but they were capable enough. Breakfast was plentiful, but uneven in quality. Very greasy meats, dry eggs, low quality baked goods. On the plus-good juices, waffle maker, cereal variety and fresh fruits. The toaster worked well. The staff worked very hard to keep the food coming, especially on a very busy Sunday morning. In the room, there was a king bed and two tired but nicely sized chairs. The drapes are good and pretty light tight if you want to sleep in. The room looked quite nice and acceptably clean when we checked in. I felt pretty safe there.
Now for the downsides. Saturday night, late return and NO parking in the main lot. But, there was a junk car parked there for a couple days with a for sale sign in the window. Mattress was way past its prime..I slept sideways one night, trying to find a spot to give some back support. TV card showed about 75 channels, but only 20 actually came in. The micro-fridge combo unit had a buzz so loud it sounded like an alarm clock when it kicked in. We solved the problem by piling about 20 pounds of stuff on top of the microwave, to kill the vibration. How could we hear that buzz, you ask? The air conditioner WAS SO LOUD, we had to shut it off at night so we could sleep. Really! And when we did have it on, it was like a blast freezer, with no control or hold cycle. Just full ON and loud, or OFF... so you could hear the micro fridge buzz. We also found that there were totally inadequate outlets in the room for the number of personal appliances we travel with. Under the desk, the hotel had a 6plex totally filled with their stuff, TV, lights, fridge, desk lamp etc. The outlets next to the A/C and behind the bed are inaccessible. The only remaining outlet is at the sink, and the geniuses have installed it sideways, so you really can't plug in more than one item. Not well thought out. Finally, and this happened at another hotel on this trip, too...the alarm clock is set for midnight, and turned on so you get scared out of your pants by some screaming radio station in the middle of the night. I should have known enough to check, but shouldn't the housekeeper do that? This hotel charged us a "senior rate" of $99 for Saturday and $67 each night for Sunday and Monday. Really not a bargain. We drove 800 miles the next day just to get home and sleep in our own bed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Camera425

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Where to start? Well, seemed like the Bristol NASCAR plague had hit Asheville because Bristol was charging crazy rates for their hotels. So, fans traveled an hour and a half to Asheville to get rooms. Rooms were far and few between. This hotel had one room left. It was smoking (which I'm a non-smoker, who can't stand cigarettes). I was tired, and just wanted to unwind. I'm here on business, so internet is integral to me. Their internet did not work. Then, I found multiple hairs in the shower. I also found a hair in the bed I was supposed to sleep in. The knob to turn the shower on looked dirty. I'd assume touch a dirty knob of a public restroom. I didn't even want to take my shoes off in the room. To top it off, the night auditor seemed to not even care. He would not refund me. He was like, "You were in there, I cannot resale the room". Yeah, like the next person, unless they were dirty uncaring people would not notice the nasty hairs all over the shower. I expect those conditions in a $30 flea bag motel, not somewhere you pay $80 for.
The room was filthy, and no effort was put into cleaning. Which makes me sick to my stomach especially in these rough times, where I have friends who would gladly take any job, and some miserable person decided they wanted to take a shortcut.
You lost a customer that could've been a very loyal customer, since I frequent the Asheville area.

The only pluses was the lobby and pool were nice. No hairs in the lobby.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2010

It is a motel on the edge. With some minor repairs & upgrades, it could become a very good motel and an excellent value. Or, as it seems to be going, it could be a real dump soon. The guys @ the service desk were excellent. They tried to be sure you were satisfied. The breakfast was superb. The location was fine.
Do not agree to stay before looking at a room. Some rooms are in better condition than others and some mattresses should have been replaced years ago.
I do not have any stays at other similar motels to compare this one to so all I can suggest is that if this is your price range you may or may not do better.
Would I stay here again? I would, but not with my wife. I would spend extra bucks for a nicer place. Good luck.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Guatemala
Reviewed 31 July 2010

AVOId this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH IT! I was given a special rate of $57.00 upon check in for 3 nights. When i checked out the rate had changed to $75.00 per night!!
I complianed and finally got a refund after 3 weeks.

I would recomend this hotel to my worst enemy or a real bad friend.

The sofa Bed was broke, no actually detroyed! It took 4 of us to pull it out!! and then we had to fight about who had to sleep there. i ost on the last night and still have spring marks on my back!!!

There were Roached in the room, a noisey air conditioner, and of course the interent did not work. UNTIL I COMPLAINED SO MUCH THEY CHANGED THE ROUTER.

the only positive thing was the breakfast buffet and most of the staff were very nice and i think they felt ashamed of the way the hotel was kept up.

IT IS A SHAME THAT THE MANAGEMENT MUST NOT CARE ABOUT THIS PROPERTY. AS THEY HAVE LET IT FALL INTO SUCH A STATE OF DISREPAIR. THIS WAS MY FIRST AND LAST TIME STAYING AT A DAY INN.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The first issue we encountered was a dead room phone. The desk staff was pretty apathetic about this but we still had our cell phones which became our only means to reach or be reached by the desk in case of a problem or emergency. Next, we discovered the high speed internet was sporatic. It seemed to be down more than up which we found extremely frustrating. Again, there was more apathy. Finally, both of our room key cards failed to function on our last evening in town. The odds of both key cards kept in two locations becoming demagnetized at the same time must be pretty high. They at last offered to change our room but for one night we declined. We were told that if we needed anything at all, we only needed to call.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
ga
Reviewed 9 July 2010

One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was the discounted Biltmore tickets that could be pruchased there and the breakfast bar. We asked about the tickets when we checked in and the clerk confirmed the price. We went to our room to get settled then went back to buy the tickets a half hour later only to be told they did not have any left. We asked if they could give us a voucher or discount on our room but they were not willing to help us. The hotel overall was okay. The location was close to the Biltmore but the staff were not helpful and did not go out of their way.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Clean room, good price and just where I needed it. Wireless Internet didn't work in my room but I really didn't care enough to complain. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo