“Great value for money”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Ideal location, near restaurants, shops etc as well as Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice pool, okay breakfast, clean rooms, free parking. Very courteous and helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Charlotte
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I booked a stay for an August weekend to have an afforable visit with friends in close proximity to downtown. Upon arrival, I had to maneuver around cars as the tiny parking lot was completely booked.

Upon check in, they front desk wanted information on everyone in my party, and the entire process was inefficient and extremely slow.

The hotel itself did not apper to have been updated very much in the last 20-30 years. The hotel claimed to have wi-fi yet there was no access from my room, and the tv occassionally worked. The showers leaked onto the floor, and the blanket under the comforter felt like it was a thin foam egg crate. The only thing that was marginally nice were the breakfast options, however we had to drive a couple of miles to find a nearby coffee shop (Starbucks) that had decent coffee and was open before 10am (not many coffee options downtown in the morning).

Overall, I was not impressed with the service, ammenities or the quality of the rooms. A major renovation needs to take place to bring this hotel up to date.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Asheville hotels

Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a good hotel to stay when visiting Asheville as most others are very pricy. Rooms clean and staff very friendly. Complementary breakfast enjoyable. Parking is tight, but there is an overflow parking area nearby. New 2nd elevator is now being constructed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Downtown Inn from 4 August - 8 August 2011. When we arrived at the hotel we were a bit put off by the exterior and the outdated decor of the lobby, but we gave it the benefit of the doubt. The woman at the reception desk was very professional and courteous. We also noticed that they do not allow locals to rent rooms, so this cuts down on druggies and bums satying there, I guess. Our room was a little worn and outdated in decor as well, but it was incredibly clean. The bathroom was absolutely spotless - no mildew anywhere and it smelled like it had been recently cleaned with bleach. Great water pressure in the shower, too. The bed was very springy and super comfortable. (We slept better in that bed than at the Hyatt in Greenville.) It also included a good sized minifridge and microwave in the room. The room was pretty quiet too, the white noise form the pool fountain and room AC were enough to drown out most any noise from outside. The continental breakfast was pretty weak, mostly pastries that you could get from a vending machine and cereal.

The takeaway is this: This hotel is NOT fancy or luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. It looks a little dumpy and old from the outside. HOWEVER... It is super clean and the rooms are quiet and comfortable. The hotel is in an awesome location and you can walk anywhere downtown and also the River Arts district. No one goes to Asheville to hang out in the room anyhow.

State Road, NC
Reviewed 13 August 2011

If you need a pretty, modern hotel with lots of amenities, stop reading now and look at other hotels in Asheville. However, if you need a clean room with a good bed for less than $100.00 in the heart of Asheville's attractive, eclectic downtown area, read on.
The Downtown Inn is a motel in dire need of a facelift. We were greeted at the lobby entrance by two signs: one advising that there were no public restrooms and the other warning that only people with valid picture ID could enter. I found this very unappealing, and the appearance and decor of the lobby inside didn't make me feel much better. As we rode the pink tile elevator up to the fifth floor, I was having serious doubts about whether we should stay here or not. However, we found our room (exterior entrance) to be very simple, but spotlessly clean with a great mattress and pillows, cable TV and free internet (no morning newspaper, however). And, it was located on the back side of the motel - on the "mountain view" side - so there was very little street noise, making for a good, quiet night's sleep. Parking is free in a small on-site lot, with overflow parking available at a cycling shop across the street.
The hotel staff was very friendly, efficient, and helpful: we got a great recommendation to eat breakfast at "The Early Girl Eatery" on Wall St., and that was a meal not to be missed! And the hotel is less than a block from Pritchard Park, Honey Tupelo Cafe, Mayfel's, and lots of other trendy shops, pubs, and restaurants. We felt perfectly safe at the hotel's location and we came away feeling that we had found a "diamond in the rough" and would certainly return when we visit downtown Asheville again.

Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just returned from a weekend visit to Asheville. Upon pulling up at the Downtown Inn & Suites, we got a bit nervous because some people gave this place scathing reviews and the building itself is not aesthetically pleasing. The front lobby is dated, but you don't do anything in the front lobby other than walk through it, so overall that didn't bother me. Do not let this deter you.

After staying here, I cannot disagree more with the bad reviews and I have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. The service you will receive from the staff cannot be beat. Once we got to our room it was immaculately clean and very nicely sized. It smelled like a hotel room, not moldy, not mildewy, not musty. The bed was comfortable and I slept well- no complaints. The refrigerator/microwave/coffee maker combo were a huge plus. We were on the 5th floor, room 510 I think. Our room location was technically street side (the door faced the street), but it was the corner room. So if you were standing outside and turned your head to the left and walked about 5 feet, you had a mountain view. I think we had the best of both worlds. Every night we brought chairs outside to sit and people watch and check out the views at the same time before heading out on the town!

I booked this based on a combination of value, location and the better reviews. I'm glad I booked it. The location was absolutely perfect and compared to other hotels in downtown Asheville, the price was a steal. The continental breakfast was a sweets lovers dream. Tons of options- muffins, mini pecan pies, I could go on. There were also bagels, breads, fruits and juices and tons of spread options for the bagels and bread. It was handy to be able to grab some of the prepackaged things as we headed out to drive to Marshall for early morning rafting.

The only thing they lost a star on was the parking lot. It's a compressed mess, but I think it's because they're doing construction. We had no problems, and if there's no space on site, you get to park for free at a satellite location that is not far. I knew this going into the trip though (because of other reviews) and if you possess basic driving skills, you'll be fine. We did not park in the satellite lot. We parked on site. The pool was clean and it seemed to be heavily used while we were there. We didn't get a chance to go, though.

If I were going back to Asheville, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. I'd also recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank folsom71101
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 2 August 2011

customer service awesome, nice continental breakfast, no noise complaints, right in the heart of downtown. Overall I would definitely stay here again and the price is pretty reasonable, But they're doing a lot of construction... parking a little limited although they do give u free parking pass @ a building close by.

Room Tip: ask for downtown view!! mountain view not so great