“The Only Place I Stay”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #47 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 23 July 2014

...in Asheville. I"ve been here four times, and every time I check out prices from other boutique properties in the neighborhood and wind up back at old steady. I have a sheep dog, and she is always welcome here, likes sitting by the pool, hanging in the lobby and there is obviously, a lot of great walking near-by. The main thing that hasn't been said is that the owner is a total sweetheart. This guy really cares about providing great service to his guests, and he hires really nice people. There is a very positive energy pervading this property, and I believe it comes from him.

The five star comes with the price in mind -- which is about half that of any of the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank thomas b

Reviewed 22 July 2014

You can't argue with the location, its fantastic. It's right on Patton which is the main drag in Downtown Ashville. Was super easy and quick to walk just about anywhere very quickly.

As for the complaints from others regarding room quality, we really had none. Sure, the place is old and has been only minimally remodeled, and by the looks of the craftsmanship, it was not done very well either. By that I'm referring to miss-matched tile replacement in the bath rooms, grout lines not matching up. Caulking starting to crack etc. My guess is they went with the lowest bidder and got what they paid for. Regardless, the room was quite clean and the linens appeared be relatively new. The shower, TV, mini fridge and coffee maker all worked as well as needed.

In summary, if you are going to Ashville to enjoy the food, beer and people, this is a reasonable alternative to the ultra expensive trendy places. If you are looking to spend lots of time in your room, then maybe the swanky places would be a better option for you. I think there is a void in Asheville for a quality, mid priced hotel. Since one does not exist, as far as I know, we will continue to return here. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I followed the advice of another reviewer and requested a "mountain view" room, which means, not street side. We were glad we did, as I could see the street side being noisy at night

Room Tip: Request Mountain view room for noise reduction Be sure to purchase any water from the vending machi...
2  Thank Derek M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This isn't the fanciest hotel in town but the location is perfect for central location.
The breakfast was good. Perla our housekeeper is wonderful. Ask for room 505.
I left car keys and watch behind Perla and the staff called and left message on
my home phone before I even got there. Everyone was friendly, professional and
caring. On weekends Asheville seems to really "rock". Our best time was had during
the week.

Room Tip: We liked 505 right at top of hotel.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hotel was in a great location. We were able to walk everywhere downtown from here. Price was good for the area; it was much cheaper than the other hotels in downtown Asheville. Our room was basic, but comfortable. Management was friendly and very helpful. Parking was limited, but they had an overflow lot within walking distance. The hotel needs some updating decor-wise, but everything was very clean. My biggest complaint about this hotel was that our cable did not work well, but we didn't come to stay in the room, so whatever :).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassie176
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel may be downtown, but the hotel is old and needs improvements. The toilet runs all the time and the ac unit does not keep the room cool enough. I made reservation back in may and when showed up to check in the room that I requested was not available even after calling four days ahead to double check on reservation. If you choose this hotel don't expect much and do not get a room on the Patton street side. The traffic is noisy.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I wasn't expecting much since reading the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised! Location was perfect -parked and never drove again until we left. Room was spotless, beds were extremely comfy, pillows were great. Slept like a baby. We were on the front and I was not bothered by any noise. The coffee was actually very good- breakfast was good and plentiful. Thanks Luke for the recommendation on Zambras it was fantastic! I really liked the fact there was security in place on the stairs and the front entrance after hours a room key was need to get in. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is definitely a budget hotel, and you can tell it, but with the location it's hard to complain. It's on the main strip through Asheville, and it's not a far walk to the local restaurants and bars. The room was ok and clean, but a little small. The breakfast was pretty standard continental with bagels, fruit, yogurt, and the little DIY waffle iron. The location definitely makes this place.
The service was pretty bad though. The lady behind the desk was nice and all, but incredibly slow, and would leave with people in line. It took us nearly an hour to check out because she just wasn't there. When she did get there she answered several phone calls before getting to us.

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay right in the middle of downtown, then this is for you. If you want something nice and downtown, you're going to have to pay a little more than here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacob M
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

We apologize for an inconvenience with this guest. We have discussed the circumstances with the desk clerk to prevent this from happening in the future.