“Great location, budget-friendly, too”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Virginia
“Great location, budget-friendly, too”
Reviewed 5 July 2009

What’s not to like about this place. Convenient parking and abundant evidence of owner pride, from the colorful landscaping outside to the tissues/antiseptic wipes (Swine flu scare during our visit) on the front desk, to the well-attended Continental breakfast, available in the spacious breakfast room or poolside. Easy walk to the shops downtown and if you are a real walker, the River Arts District is walkable too, though confess we took the White Trolley Tour back. So glad we didn’t succumb to all the Tunnel Road motels.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Hendersonville, NC
Reviewed 4 July 2009

My wife and I, late 30's, were quoted a price at the desk, and then denied a room when we were deemed to be locals (hailing from a town 35 miles away). James, the desk attendant, played the "I'm calling the police" card WAY too quickly when I questioned this policy. Having lived close to Asheville for a few years, we always figured when there was a show we wanted to see at the Orange Peel, we'd just stay over... guess not. Perhaps nonsense like this drives Buncombe County's "stellar" DUI record. We drove home; we didn't want to. These folks have zero sense of class or community. This business deserves to fail.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jms-audio

Travellers are raving about these Asheville hotels

ny
Reviewed 28 June 2009

This is an affordable downtown gem with charming desk clerks who soothe its exterior flaws. The rooms have all the essential amenities and are clean. We will come back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Note: This hotel changed hands in November 2008, so take that into account when reading reviews.

Some reviewers are pretty down on this hotel but I have to say, it wasn't bad for me at all (and yes, I've stayed in 4-star and 5-star hotels and I readily admit, this is NOT a 4-star or 5-star hotel). This hotel leads with its location, which would be hard to improve on, being within a stone's throw of most of downtown Asheville's best locations. In order to keep rates low, the hotel has to save in other areas such as upkeep. That said, however, I would point out a few things: 1.) My room was in no way *dirty* when I checked in. I checked carefully due to the reviews on TripAdvisor, and was pleasantly surprised. 2.) The bulk of the maintenance needs are cosmetic in nature. That is, nothing I came across was *broken*... a peeling wallpaper corner here and there, chipped paint or tarnished finishes on things, a lamp that's a bit crooked... but everything worked just fine, and the room was clean.

For not a lot of money I got a comfortable bed in a clean, cheap room that needed some some TLC, but that was very close to everything I wanted to do in Asheville. The staff were all very friendly, and the breakfast bar (which ran very late in the morning!) was more varied than I would have anticipated.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Cape Cod, USA
Reviewed 27 May 2009

The location can't be beat for the price, right in the middle of everything. The exterior and hallways of the hotel are some what rundown, but the room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
massachusetts
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I recently stayed at the Downtown Inn for a night as my friend visited Asheville. I was in charge of booking hotel and having had stayed in a five star hotel the night before in downtown Charlotte, I was very weary of not staying at Downtown Inn. The reviews I read online prior were very scary to say the least. However, my friend convinced me to book it saying it would add to the adventure. Plus it was located centrally to the clubs we wanted to go to at night which meant we wouldn't have to drive. To my surprise, while it was far from a 5 star hotel, it was pleasant. The rooms were clean, though outdated but it served its purpose. The beds were comfy, pillows were great and bathroom was clean. The price wasn't bad and the location was truly great. We were able to walk everywhere. Plus the hotel staff were very nice. So to summarize, it was a good experience. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on a road trip between Merlefest, NC, and Jazzfest, New Orleans. The hotel is very central, within easy walking distance of many boutique beer breweries and restaurants. Our room had been recently renovated, and was clean and comfortable, and quiet. The free internet access worked well, and was very fast. The staff were friendly, and happy to advise my husband where the best beer was to be found!
We thought this hotel was very good value, and in a great location.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple