“Great downtown location, but problems”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 10 September 2006

We picked this motel because it's within walking distance of several downtown restaurants and attractions. Parking is limited downtown and guest parking is free at the motel. That's about the only plus however. This is an older building in need of some work. We didn't have a remote for the TV. We had to ask twice to get one. Other guests made noise on the walkway outside our room in the middle of the night, yelling at friends on the street below. We've stayed at the Days Inn on Tunnell Dr. in the past, ten minutes away. It was quieter and a more pleasant experience. I'll stay elsewhere in the future and deal with the limited downtown parking rather than stay at this motel.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank bargainhunter2

Athens, GA
Reviewed 13 February 2006

Our band, ham1, stayed here for one night. Sure the building is old and a little junky but the rooms were clean and cheap. It is a party hotel (lots of young folks) but the management keeps a tight reign on things. It was only $38- tax included! We were able to walk to our gig at Fred's Speakeasy and to breakfast at the Tupelo Honey Cafe (yum). My wife and 4 year old son came with us and they had a fine time. I'd say go for it if you want a clean cheap room that you can walk (or stumble) into downtown from. It's not for people who are expecting brand new rooms or suburban genericness.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 December 2005

Well this is the 4th time I've stayed here and it does seem to get better each time. The new management seems to be nicer. The hotel is old and the rooms have some wear, but this place always works great for us when visiting Asheville for concerts etc... I would not recommend it for a romantic getaway. The biggest gripe I have is how the normal rate for a weekend night went up from $99 to $155 just because their was a concert in town. The place is much to old to charge that much money, but usually it is reasonable on most dates and a good bit more affordable then most other hotels downtown. 4 star? Not at all, but I've stayed in alot worse. Everything worked in the room and it was clean. That is all I ask for in an older more run down hotel. Romance? No. Friend just hanging out in Asheville for a day or two? Sure.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rocky Mount, NC
Reviewed 30 November 2005

I quickly planned a last minute romantic trip for my wife and I to the mountains in October. Everything was booked and the only place I could find was Days Inn downtown Asheville. We reserved our room with a credit card. I went to check in and there was a sign on the door stating that the telephone system was broken and that NO discount would be given. I checked in, got the room key and my wife and I headed to the room. First sign of a problem was the elevator. I have been in nicer and cleaner freight elevators. It was gross. I opened the door to our room and the smell of cigarette smoke was overpowering. Upon further investigation the shower was moldy, the sheetrock in the bathroom was molding and falling down, the clock radio was broken, the tv did not work right, the room had a dirty feel. We accepted the fact that during the peak fall season nothing else was available and we would make do. How much time would we spend in the room anyway? We got ready for bed and turned back the covers to discover that the sheets were DIRTY, there was hair all in the bed and you could see the indentation in the pillow where someones head had been. My wife started crying and I took the dirty pillow (Hair and makeup) down to the front desk, since I had no phone to call!!! I went off to put it nicely and the desk clerk handed me new linens. Did not offer to send someone to change sheets. We took the clean sheet and put on top of the bed and went to Mast General Store and purchased a blanket and slept on to of the bed. This ruined our romantic weekend. We slept in our clothes!!! When I checked out I told the Clerk that I did not want my credit card billed that I was paying cash and that I was refusing to pay full price, I would pay half since that I was we got. They refused to give anything but a 10% discount. I complained so loud that other people checking out started to refuse to pay the full price. One lady said she opened her door to find someone had vomited in her doorway. I complained to Days Inn Corporate and the innkeeper mailed me a check for $12.50. Take my advice and NEVER stay at this hotel and If you are like me I will Never stay at a Days Inn. They rated this hotel 4 sunshines out of 5 sunshines for being a top hotel within their franchise. I would hate to stay at a 1 or 2 sunshine rated hotel. BEWARE!!!

• Stayed: October 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Crofton, MD
Reviewed 3 November 2005

This hotel is rather old and needs some renovations. The price is currently too high for the quality of the rooms.

Its main advantage is that you can easily walk from the hotel to the downtown shops and restaurants. Also, the staff seems very friendly.

The rooms are "bare boned" and the bathrooms and walls need to be redone. Rooms facing the front of the motel are quite near the street and noisy. I had some trouble with allergies in the room. Maybe it was dusty/musty.

Overall, I was underwhelmed. However, they were friendly and did take us at the last minute after we fled another Day's Inn across town after finding *it* unacceptable.

Also, we were able to stay there with two large dogs. Hopefully, the place will get fixed up. And hopefully, in general, Days Inn corporate will have more contact with its franchisees to assure some consistency in terms of standards.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gastonia, NC
Reviewed 15 October 2005

My wife and I required lodging in Asheville to attend the Sunday Irish session at a local Pub. Having stayed at Days Inn's in Florida and Georgia we were delighted to find, through this site, that there was a Days Inn nearly across the street from the Pub.
We were a bit put off by the reviews given here but the two most recent seemed to confirm Mr. Patel's statement concerning new management, etc. So we decided to take a chance and allow Mr. Patel to gain our business, repeat business I might add as we will be attending many sessions in Ashville as music is our hobby.
When I called to make the reservation on Friday morning the 14th I was asked to leave my name and number and would be called back later. I called at 10:30AM so I figured that I had called too close to check out and the desk was slammed. I offered to call back around 12:30 or so and the clerk told me no that he would be too busy to call me until after 4pm. ?? I have never encountered this situation in my life. After I got off the phone, being worried that I might not be able to book a room if I waited until late on Friday, I had to look elsewhere and found no problem making a reservation nearby.
I also visited the Days Inn Corporate website and left an account of my experience there as well. Days Inn upper management should know how their company's name and reputation is being presented.....I would have rated this differently if I had actually gotten to make a reservation but the initial encounter spoke volumes about their revised "customer service".

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 29 August 2005

My wife and I just stayed here for the weekend, and we were a bit apprehensive based upon the reviews we read about this Days Inn. Much to our surprise, the room definitely exceeded our expectations; they even had a refrigerator in the room which always scores big points with me. The location was ideal as it allowed us to walk everywhere we went in town. True, this place is old, but as long as you're not a high maintenance guest you'll have no problems with this place. We'd certainly stay there again if we go back to Asheville.

• Stayed: August 2005