“Was surprisingly happy.”

Ranked #34 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Was surprisingly happy.”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Good Marriott beds, shower, kitchen. Internet worked well, good service, nicely soundproofed. Breakfast was adequate. Quick access to highway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We stayed at the Residence Inn on a trip to Ashville earlier this month and would return. The location is great (although difficult to find at first), close to Biltmore village, restaurants etc. The staff was very friendly. I won't repeat all the aspects covered by others- they did a good job. A few things that I would add is that there is an indoor pool and that on the nights they offer the manager's reception, it is like a full meal. One night we had chicken "wings' and salad. The other we had freshly grilled (on the patio) chicken cutlets along with corn, beans, and wild rice. There was no liquor but it wasn't missed. One caution- the bathtub needs some help. It is totaly spartan - no soap dish, no ledge to put soap shampoo etc, no bars to grap onto. no mat for the slippery bottom. Both my husband and I nearly took nasty falls during showers.. Everything else was fine and we'd return again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 18 June 2009

After reading the reviews on this site I was expecting a top notch hotel experience. What I ended up with was pretty average. The RI is a 3 story hotel located off Biltmore Ave. in Asheville. The hotel is not far from downtown and is very close to a medical center. It is a bit difficult to spot as you will not see much signage and it is a hard left (which is fun in traffic). The parking was adequate, but I could see on a busy weekend it getting filled up quite quickly.

Unfortunately I didn't find, upon arrival, that my room requests were met. I understand they were filled up, but as a Gold Member, I was hoping that they would at least meet some of the requests I had put into the system. I'm really not too impressed with the Marriott Gold Program (Hilton's is world's better), but that is a different story for a different day. The gatehouse area has a room where they serve breakfast (different mix of hot and cold foods, but was hoping they had more things to "take with me" except for bananas). There is a very small fitness center with a few pieces of equipment. I did not see a pool, but I do believe they have one. They offer an evening reception and they have popcorn in the lobby which is a nice touch.

The elevator was a bit slow, but the hotel didn't show age too much throughout. The room size (was a studio) was quite large enough for 1-3 people and featured a full size fridge, microwave, etc. There was a desk, work chair, and wireless internet (signal wasn't the best), a couch and a chair. There was a newer LCD TV that had a ton of channels and closed caption. There are several windows in the room and it was pretty quiet for the most part. Everything was clean, however I will warn anyone with allergies, this is a pet friendly hotel. Although I couldn't tell there was an animal in the room before me, as it was clean, my eyes and nose were going crazy throughout my stay, so I'm assuming there had been. I would just be careful if you have a severe allergies.

Everything in the room was clean, linens were fresh and they use the temperpedic mattress. I was a bit disappointed with the super-tiny alarm clock and I had a problem with my phone which lit up at 3am and scared me half to death (was a problem with the VM system). The bathroom was a decent size and vanity was located outside the actual bathroom, which I like. Was plenty of room for all my knicknacks and shower and water pressure were fine.

The staff was very pleasant throughout my stay, but I just can't rate this hotel anymore than average. It's possible that people staying for more than a night or two have a different experience, as a lot of the raters seemed to have, but for a business traveler, for one night, I would rate the stay about average.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I typically seek out B&Bs or boutique hotels when I travel for pleasure, but I had Marriott points and chose to use them in charming, bohemian Asheville. What a pleasant surprise this Residence Inn proved to be! I will stay here again on my next trip.

Staff at some much more elegant hotels could take lessons from the staff here. They were unfailingly pleasant, professional and helpful. This was five-star service at a budget-friendly hotel.

We loved the *free* hot breakfast -- eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, cereals, fruit and enjoyed seeing several guests with their well-behaved dogs. It was a short walk to the lovely, quaint Biltmore Village and its great shopping and restaurants. Downtown is just about 3 miles down the road.

This hotel has the typical Marriott "Market Cafe" with sodas, chips and snacks in the lobby ... but what a nice touch that they also sell custard from a local ice cream shop.

As you'd expect in Asheville, recycling is a priority in this hotel. You can separate your plastic from your paper in bins in the lobby.

Comfortable, if predictable, it's the location and outstanding service that will have me staying here again on my next visit to the N.C. mountains.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Have_fun_will_travel
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Visited my daughters and granddaughter in April and wanted to stay close to one of their houese. It is close to the Biltmore and Biltmore Village but we did not visit either since we had visited before. The Residences Inn is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. We had a one bedroom suite with a queen bed. The kitchen had everything we needed including a full size refrigerator. Full hot breakfast in the morning was delicious. The only drawback to the room was that there is no door to close off the bedroom from the bathroom so when I got up early I had to be quiet and there is no access to the bathroom from the living area but we made it work. There was free food in the evenings but we did not participate. I would stay here again and will look for Residence Inns in other areas as I travel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I recently hosted a meeting in lovely Asheville, NC, using the Residence Inn for our lodging. I am from Atlanta, and I brought guests here from PA, MD, NJ, DE, VA, FL & TN. I have a diverse and well travelled group. Additionally, they are very, very picky.
The Residence Inn, under the guidance of their manager Paulette, and our meeting coordinator from the Biltmore Farms Hotel group, scored extremely well with my large group.
They were friendly, courteous, and the accommodations(most important) were awesome. Oh, by the way, the price is also reasonable.
I highly recommend this property for any business or personal stay in Ashville, NC.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We visited Asheville for first time to see the Biltmore house. We booked a package which included 2 nights @ Residence inn, 2 unlimited daytime tickets, lunch on the estate, and audio tickets for $390. Also, we used points to stay an extra night for free. Intially, I was disappointed when we checked in because they did not have any king size beds or rooms with a fireplace available the first night. However, for the 2nd night, they moved us to an one bed room suite with a fireplace without charging us for upgrades which is why I give them 5 stars for customer service. These rooms are soooo much nicer than the standard rooms.

Also, I have to say that this is the first time that I had slept on a memory foam matress and what a difference it makes!!! Wow! This mattress alone will make you feel as if you have had 8 hrs even if you only had four hours of sleep.

As a side note, if you are gym fanatic, you will be extremely disappointed with their exercise room; it is really only for 3 people at a time.

Lastly, I must say that the complimentary breakfast is pretty good too. It includes a hot buffet which includes choices such as pancakes, french toast, sausages, eggs, etc and its complimentary.

Things to do
----------------------

It rained the entire time we were there so we didnt get to do any outdoor activities. However, here's a few other reviews on our trip.

1. Biltmore House - A must see. It is spectacular! Also, try to plan for 2 days if you are interested in visiting other parts of the estate ( i.e. Winery, trails, etc).

2. The winery on the estate is fantastic! The wine tasting is must and the hosts are wonderful. We ended up purchasing 3 bottles.

3. There are a lot cheaper alternatives to lunch and dinner. The restaurants downtown and at the village are great but will be more expensive. If you head over to the mall area ,you will find several common chains at affordable prices.

4. The Grove Park Inn is sooo beautiful and worth the visit. We would love to go back and stay there but we thought it would be waste for the first trip since we didnt plan to spend much time in our room.

5. The Grove Park Inn has a restaurant called the Sunset Terrace. It is a must do for all romantics! Very expensive but they do have prixe fixe menu ( 3 for $30 pp). Try it. The veiws are spectacular.

6. Ghost Tour - Not really scary but very informative and alot of great historical information.

7. Tressa's - Great jazz club but it caters to more 40+ crowd.

8. Nightlife - I feel that the downtown is lacking this for the 25 - 30 crowd. This is where I was extremely disappointed but we made up for it with other activities.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple