“Standout restaurant: Food, Atmosphere, Staff, Prices”
Review of Green Light Cafe - CLOSED

Green Light Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Greenville, South Carolina
“Standout restaurant: Food, Atmosphere, Staff, Prices”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Since it was a beautiful day, my wife, son, and a friend drove from Greenville, SC on our motorcycles to Asheville to have lunch. We usually eat at another vegetarian restaurant in downtown Asheville. After reading numerous reviews of the Green Light Cafe on the Happy Cow eating guide, we thought we would be adventurous and sample an alternative vegetarian restaurant.
All four of us agree that we made the correct choice. We were made to feel quite welcome upon entering the Green Light Cafe. The hostess/waitress was very helpful in explaining the different selections, of which there were many! We were served the famous "green water"(filtered water w/chlorophyl!) while we decided on our meals. For those who think healthy meals equates to bland food, they are in for a surprise.
The only negative was the sheer number of enticing dishes to choose from. I guess this means we will have to return again and again to eventually sample them all.
In addition, the prices are extremely reasonable, in fact, the best value I have experienced in many years. I hope if the owner(s) read this write-up they do not consider raising their prices because of this review. The prices are a factor in our returning, so don't you dare. Especially since we are telling everyone we know to visit your cafe during their next trip to Asheville. Tasty, quality, healthy food in a warm atmosphere... what else would you want when dining out?

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank beatdrum

South Florida, Florida
“SECOND TIME HERE - STILL DELICIOUS”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

NOTE: THIS PLACE IS COMPLETELY VEGETARIAN / VEGAN; they don't serve meat. I love that!!

I ate here today for the second time. I had the tempeh reuben sandwich (it's the 4th reuben at different places I've had in the last 5 days!). It was very good. Plenty of tempeh and the sauce and other stuff on it was very good. It was a big sandwich, and came with some good tortilla chips. The service was excellent, and the meal was reasonably priced ($7.50, I think). I enjoyed it so much and rank it high on my list of tempeh reubens!

This place has a lot of vegan selections, as well as vegetarian; there are also smoothies and teas. It has nice, friendly service and was a cute place; low-key and casual. The location is excellent; right in the middle of everything in downtown Asheville. I find the prices reasonable - even on the low side.

I also ate here last October when I was in Asheville and I had sweet potato patties (vegan) served over brown rice. It was really delicious. I think my meal was only around $7 or $8.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank tczig
Bristol, Tennessee
“So good that words don't do it justice!”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Always get the special. This restaurant is like heaven for us vegetarians. They have a good selection of appetizers, dishes and sandwiches. All of the veggie pates are like nothing I have ever eaten. So get the special and the pate sampler platter for starters. The staff is very friendly and will nicely explain anything on the menu that you don't understand. Have eaten here 1 other time and at a few festivals. I LOVE IT! Best food anywhere (and I've been a lot of places)! Even if you aren't a vegetarian you can still eat here. The sandwiches are huge and hard to eat a whole one in one sitting. A very green dining experience. They have vegan dishes too.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank tnwldflower
Virginia
“Go”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The Green Light is a little unassuming in its atmosphere, but the vegetarian fare here is as good as it gets. There's a varied menu that's just as good as The Laughing Seed. Folks are friendly, the chef knows his or her way around the vegan kitchen. Yes, there are so many places to eat in Asheville, but you should add this conveniently located downtown establishment to your list.

• Visited July 2011