“great location”

Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Marietta, Georgia
“great location”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Perfect location for exploring Asheville. We checked in on Friday and never needed the car until we headed to West Asheville for dinner Saturday night. We arrived back at the room after dinner our first night there to find a bottle of wine with a fruit and cheese plate and handwritten note congratulating us on our anniversary. It's that personal touch that makes a hotel worth visiting again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Blowing Rock, NC
Reviewed 14 July 2012

The Renaissance quality is sliding here. As a frequent business and pleasure visitor to Asheville, I've been coming to this hotel at least twice a year for about ten years. The positives are the prime location (you can walk to everything) and the fact that they often have a good rate for midweek stays. The lobby is recently remodeled and the fitness center is large and well-stocked with a variety of equipment and a nice indoor pool. I don't understand many of the complaints of other writers: I've always found everything clean and tidy, and the rooms with king beds are spacious, not cramped (although I could see how two queens would be a tight squeeze). I've never had a problem with odd charges. There are downsides: The bathrooms are ridiculously tiny and there is no bathroom fan. Also no in-room safe. But overall, this has always been my top pick for an Asheville stay...until this week. I have not visited in a while, but there seems to be a lot of new staff who are not professional or courteous. The maids were talking loudly in the halls early in the morning when I was trying to sleep. Nearly got run over by a surly guy vacuuming (who stunk like cigarettes) and again in the elevator by a bellman who really should have waited for an unoccupied car. The lad at the front desk (all of 16 years old?) was not particularly welcoming or helpful. Since the remodel, there is no longer coffee to order at the bar in the morning. The room service offerings are greatly depleted and more expensive....and I had to go downstairs to ask for a room service menu. In fact, there were no informational materials about the hotel and services in the room at all (and the front desk staff certainly did not tell me about anything at check-in.). And there are lots of things that need touching up-- from removing the scuffs in the elevators to painting over the closet doors to replacing the water-damaged ceiling tiles in the gym. This is supposed to be a Renaissance property after all! I see that an Aloft is going up downtown....I think next time I'll try staying there, instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room, not two queen beds, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had a lovely suite (complete with chocolates on the pillow) in this essentially high rise hotel. Very convenient to walk through Ashville - which is a delightful town to visit. Be sure to see the Book Exchange and Champagne Bar. Highly satisfactory stay. They have restaurants on site but there are so many good places to eat in Ashville that we didn't try the hotel ones.

Room Tip: We are frequent Marriott customers so had access to the club room where they had an excellent compli...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed 13 July 2012

What a great place to stay in Asheville! I wish I had gotten the name of the desk clerk so I could give him public kuddos. He was so nice, and so informative giving great information and directions. He gave us a corner room and said it was more spacious. I have to say, if that was spacious, I'd hate to see the size of the other rooms. Regarless, it was a fantastic stay! Clean room, comfy bed, nice linens, fridge in room, nice lobby bar, nice people, and FREE parking! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Creston,NC
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We booked a room at the Renaissance for the 4th of July in Asheville, and OMG, what a treat. The city had the most beautiful display and right outside our window. We brought camp chairs and had a front-row seat in the parking lot, because fireworks just have to be enjoyed outdoors. The hotel is lovely and beautifully decorated in a modern theme. Asheville is one of my favorite US cities and the Renaissance is a great place to stay to enjoy this city.

Room Tip: 902 was great!
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location is excellent, the staff was so nice. The towels in your room are like blankets, i can honestly say this Marriott is superior to the JW Marriott in DC. I was so pleased with every aspect, just an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband & I enjoyed a few days visiting Asheville & couldn't have been happier with our stay at the Renaissance in downtown Asheville. It is conveniently located to lots of great restaurants & drinking establishments. The staff was wonderful, rooms very clean & luxurious and we will definitely recommend it to our friends, as well as stay here next time we visit Asheville.