“Disappointed!”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just checked in for 3 nights to vacation in Asheville. They overbooked hotel. We did not get the king room we requested and the mini fridge was missing. View was of roof and parking lot. Upon checkin front desk staff were rude. Thought this was high class hotel NOT! Will check out tomorrow and stay somewhere else.

1  Thank Millerc4
RenAVL, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Millerc4,
From the nature of your comments, it appears we fell considerably short in providing the first class experience you have come to expect from a hotel of our caliber. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us. Please feel free to contact me with any further concerns or questions.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Recently stayed at the Renaissance Asheville for a quick getaway with my husband. Have stayed at this property before a few years ago. It is your standard full service Marriott. The location is what makes it one of the best options in Asheville if you want to be in the downtown area and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Parking is a challenge downtown so it's always nice to be able to park our car at the hotel and walk everywhere we wanted to go.

We checked in early and the staff kindly accommodated us with a room that was ready. The room was in what they call the alcove area (basically at the end of the long hallway there are two sets of rooms that can be used as one whole room/area or individual rooms). The room was TINY and the bathroom even smaller if you can imagine. My husband and I are pretty tall people so even more of an issue. There were a few other issues with the room other than it being ultra small (and I'm not exaggerating about how small it was. There was no room for a chair to relax in and was only about 3 feet of space between the bed and the window). The toilet in the bathroom didn't flush properly and the water in the tub drained out really slow. The air conditioning was really loud as noted in other reviews but worked great! Almost too well. I turned it down before we left for a few hours. When we came back I had to turn it back up because the room was a little musty. Maybe to be expected because it is summer.) These are common problems that can easily be fixed and really not a big deal or fault of the hotel. We stayed in that room one night of our two night stay but the next morning I went down to the desk to request a room change.

Steven at the front desk was very friendly and immediately found another room for us to stay in. Although I don't think he realized how small the room was because he said he hasn't seen all of them, he still took my concern seriously and was happy to assist. He had one of the bell person's escort me up so I could see the room. As I explained my concern to the bellman (who was also very friendly and didn't appear to be inconvenienced by the request) he told me not to worry because the alcove rooms ARE very small and it's hard to do anything other than sleep in those rooms. This made me feel better because I am very critical when it comes to hotels and my comfort while traveling (i.e. cleanliness, space, service, etc.).

We were able to change our room that morning and enjoyed the rest of our stay. The second room was notably more spacious and the bathroom even appeared to have a little more space as well.

Overall, it was a good solid stay at the Renaissance Asheville. The staff was again very accommodating and more than willing to assist and take care of our concerns. Rooms are clean and service is good. We also had access to the club room on the 10th floor. Erica and the other gentleman who work in the club were fantastic! Friendly, knowledgeable about the area and again willing to help! Erica suggested a restaurant called Curate. It is a MUST visit if you are in the Asheville area. Food and whole experience is absolutely outstanding!!

Room Tip: If you get an Alcove room without use of the whole area it will be small. Ask for a high floor with...
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

You can't beat the location as you can walk to everything. Lobby fine but rooms small, bathrooms small and clearly old..mildew on tile grout ...dark even with lights on.. Only fair as Marriotts go but the location and free parking will bring us back .

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Perfect location for exploring Asheville. We checked in on Friday and never needed the car until we headed to West Asheville for dinner Saturday night. We arrived back at the room after dinner our first night there to find a bottle of wine with a fruit and cheese plate and handwritten note congratulating us on our anniversary. It's that personal touch that makes a hotel worth visiting again.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

The Renaissance quality is sliding here. As a frequent business and pleasure visitor to Asheville, I've been coming to this hotel at least twice a year for about ten years. The positives are the prime location (you can walk to everything) and the fact that they often have a good rate for midweek stays. The lobby is recently remodeled and the fitness center is large and well-stocked with a variety of equipment and a nice indoor pool. I don't understand many of the complaints of other writers: I've always found everything clean and tidy, and the rooms with king beds are spacious, not cramped (although I could see how two queens would be a tight squeeze). I've never had a problem with odd charges. There are downsides: The bathrooms are ridiculously tiny and there is no bathroom fan. Also no in-room safe. But overall, this has always been my top pick for an Asheville stay...until this week. I have not visited in a while, but there seems to be a lot of new staff who are not professional or courteous. The maids were talking loudly in the halls early in the morning when I was trying to sleep. Nearly got run over by a surly guy vacuuming (who stunk like cigarettes) and again in the elevator by a bellman who really should have waited for an unoccupied car. The lad at the front desk (all of 16 years old?) was not particularly welcoming or helpful. Since the remodel, there is no longer coffee to order at the bar in the morning. The room service offerings are greatly depleted and more expensive....and I had to go downstairs to ask for a room service menu. In fact, there were no informational materials about the hotel and services in the room at all (and the front desk staff certainly did not tell me about anything at check-in.). And there are lots of things that need touching up-- from removing the scuffs in the elevators to painting over the closet doors to replacing the water-damaged ceiling tiles in the gym. This is supposed to be a Renaissance property after all! I see that an Aloft is going up downtown....I think next time I'll try staying there, instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room, not two queen beds, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had a lovely suite (complete with chocolates on the pillow) in this essentially high rise hotel. Very convenient to walk through Ashville - which is a delightful town to visit. Be sure to see the Book Exchange and Champagne Bar. Highly satisfactory stay. They have restaurants on site but there are so many good places to eat in Ashville that we didn't try the hotel ones.

Room Tip: We are frequent Marriott customers so had access to the club room where they had an excellent compli...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2012

What a great place to stay in Asheville! I wish I had gotten the name of the desk clerk so I could give him public kuddos. He was so nice, and so informative giving great information and directions. He gave us a corner room and said it was more spacious. I have to say, if that was spacious, I'd hate to see the size of the other rooms. Regarless, it was a fantastic stay! Clean room, comfy bed, nice linens, fridge in room, nice lobby bar, nice people, and FREE parking! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family