“Gorgeous hotel”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed two nights at the Renaissance and wish I could have stayed longer. My room was on the tenth floor with a beautiful view of the mountains. The bed, pillows, linens were immaculate and very comfortable. The room was well appointed and the bathroom fresh and bright. The hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful. I stayed here a few years ago also, and was glad to see that their standards have remained high.

Room Tip: The entire hotel is non- smoking.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Nice hotel right in the middle of downtown Asheville. Walking distance to many restaurants, bars and other attractions in the downtown area. The bar and lobby area were nicely renovated. However, the rooms still could use a little work. They were very clean and well maintained but were a little outdated and a little old for our tastes. I see good things on the horizon for the hotel, though, if they plan to do more renovations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Our trip to Asheville was wonderful! The hotel location made it very convenient to get to the Biltmore and Skyline Drive. We could easily walk to stores and restaurants downtown. I can't say enough good things about the staff, especially the bartender! The room was very clean and comfortable. Free, easily accessible wifi.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice employees. Very helpful. Located in downtown and able to walk everywhere. Free parking. Clean facility. Can't go wrong with a Marriott. Room service was able to accommodate a special request. The bathroom is a tight squeeze but still up to date.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We just stayed at the Renaissance Asheville, it's an attractive hotel and it seems that they are booked frequently with conventions and meetings. We were there Tuesday through Saturday for a working vacation. First off, the rooms are really small, the closet door, the bathroom door and the door to the room all come together and hit each other. It's very crowded. There is not mirror in the room other than the bathroom. Ventilation is horrible, no fan in the bathroom and in order to keep the humidity down the thermostat was set at 68 degrees. It was a bit chilly. We moved it to 70 and the room become very stuffy and uncomfortable. The room really needs a ceiling fan or some other sort of ventilation. The room was not especially clean, the bathroom had been redone, and it was attractive, but the tub and shower enclosure were old and a little moldy looking, the faucet didn't work so well and there was a stained drop ceiling over the shower. I guess for what we paid, (which I thought was too much) this would have been a great room in NYC, there I could understand the issues the room has just because it's a big city. There is no excuse for the hotel to have the issues this one did other than plain old bad design. To add insult to injury I wound up with a raging case of strep throat the day we left and i wouldn't be surprised it I picked it up at the hotel. Plus several cars were broken into in the parking lot the morning we were leaving. We saw people vacuuming up broken glass. We have been to Asheville many times and for the money I say stay someplace like the Haywood Park Hotel. It an older hotel but the rooms are large and very clean and the location can't be beat. My husband booked the hotel this time and we agreed that neither of us would want to stay here again. And I'll also say this is the first time I've ever written a negative review, I'm pretty laid back and usually can find the good in just about any situation but i really felt that the rate we were charged for what we got was ridiculous. I'd hate for someone else to spend their money on this place unless it was being paid for by their work expense account.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

We are so sorry that you were dissatisfied with your recent stay. Please call to speak with me as I would personally like the opportunity to make this right for you. I am here Wednesday-Sunday from 3PM-11PM.
Michelle Porche'
Front Office Supervisor
Renaissance Asheville Hotel
828-252-8211

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We were very comfortable in this hotel, the only problem being the rather old fashioned and very noisy air conditioning unit, which we had to switch off at night if we wanted to get any sleep.

We didn't eat dinner here, but the breakfasts were good, with freshly made eggs and waffles available.

The great thing is how close the hotel is to the centre of Asheville, with everything being within 15 minutes walk and plenty of restaurants to choose from nearby (especially if you go out of the back entrance, across the patio.) A plus is that the Thomas Wolfe House is just across the road too.

Reception were very helpful with safe deposit and storing bags on the last day and the little gift shop is great - I bought some unique earrings and a necklace. The lounge area is a great place to sit and drink one of the complimentary coffees. A bit warm near the standalone fire when we were there, but would be great on a colder day.

There is a computer where you can book in online for your flight, but no business centre if you want to surf the internet or check your emails and you don't have your own device with you.

Room Tip: Try to get one looking out over the Baptist Church or the Thomas Wolfe House.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is where my husband and I always stay when in Asheville. GREAT location - walking distance to shops and restaurants downtown, and FREE parking if you stay here! Great decor, clean, nice rooms, great staff, easy to find. Cannot go wrong with a Marriott, much less the Renaissance Asheville.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple