“Old Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Atlanta, GA
“Old Hotel”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I am a Marriott Rewards Member and I am generally loyal to the brand. This hotel is the worst Renaissance I have ever stayed at. Hotel has obviously been around a long while. Small rooms and very small bathrooms. My allergies killed me so there must have been a lot of dust or mildew. If you are used to staying at Renaissance hotels you will be disappointed. If you are traveling with kids you find the mini bathroom is a pain. For the same money the Indigo is a better value.

1 Thank Bruce066
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. You are correct that our property has been a staple of downtown Asheville for some time, however the concerns about the cleanliness of the room are never acceptable and I have made our housekeeping department aware. We will definitely take feedback regarding the room sizes such as yours into consideration the next time we makeover our rooms. If you would like to contact me directly to further discuss the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Allustiarti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Very good room, great location and very clean.
Front desk staff is very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was not as good as expected though. Limited options to serve and very busy staff to support customers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed there over the 4th of July weekend. The building seems a bit older (hence the loud HVAC unit), but the room was clean. We had a great mountain view from our room. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We saw several guests staying there with dogs - must be pet friendly. The 4th of July fireworks took place right next to the hotel and we had the best seats in town, just by standing in the hotel hallway. Would definitely try to go back there for 4th of July. The restaurant was just ok.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mooresboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The purpose of staying at the Renaissance was to enjoy a relaxing night of sleep near the Asheville Civic Center during the 2014 Gala Gymnastics meet. Mission accomplished. The stay was smooth from check in to check out. For convenience, we chose the breakfast package. The meal was well worth the amount we paid. I cannot disagree with many other reviewers on the lack of size in the rooms. They were small, but this didn't really affect us much for this stay since it was only one night. Regarding the room, I have three points of disappointmet. The first was the very slow draining sink. Had we been staying longer than one night, it would have been a bigger issue. Second, I found a used plastic cup behind the night stand. Obviously, there should be a little more attention paid to these details during housekeeping's visit. Third, and this is being picky, we did not receive the requested extra towels. The question I always have when reading reviews is whether somebody would choose to stay again. In this case, I'm certain we will.

1 Thank Kramer6492
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Great convenient location in downtown Asheville. Yes, the bathroom is small...I however didn't see this to be a huge problem with just me and my spouse- we spent more time exploring than hanging in the John :) they could recaulk the bathroom.
Parking lot was icy on the front side-but it's winter in the mountains and a shady side of the building.
The 2 queen room was nice- I'm pregnant so the extra bed was a nice plus for me! Everything was in good working order. pillows are small- but I usually double up anyway. The bar is small and the staff didn't readily recommend their restaurant- but I would rather go out and about!
The room was clean, the pool and hot tub nice...and free parking. Staff was nice. I would stay here again and bring our kids.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The staff was gracious, the location and parking great, the pool was nice,but how can anyone sleep with a loud hvac unit grinding away all night? The second night we asked the front desk if anything could be done about it. They sent up a very nice maintenance man who set the unit to cycle on and off. Not much better, just starting to nod off and it started its roar again. I even had ear plugs in, and they didn't help. Also what's with the teeny down pillows? My husband woke up with very irritated eyes, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic feather! The bathroom was so small if you're on the commode and the door opens, you get smacked in the knees!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear about your difficulties during your stay. I would love to hear specifically which room you stayed in so that I could follow up with my maintenance team regarding that ac/heat unit. Additionally, down pillows and bedding is the standard in our rooms, but we always have foam products available. Please contact me directly so that we can speak in detail about the entirety of your stay. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will still consider us on your future trips to Asheville. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kevin Allustiarti
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The good: Great downtown Asheville location. Walking distance to all of downtown. FREE parking which is a huge plus in this area. Nice rooms I thought, good rates for what you get. Asheville has a lot of new "hip" boutique type hotels. This one has been around forever, knows its competition and I think keeps up pretty well. Has a very good hotel gym if you are looking for one.
The bad: Not much. The restaurants are kind of an afterthought, but who cares because so many really good ones within walking distance, and who stays at a hotel for its restaurant anyway? The hotel bar is small. Staffing at the hotel can be a little slim during the winter.
OVERALL: I have stayed here numberous times. I have seen it through some really bad times, and it has shown vast improvement over the years. If you are looking for a very nice place downtown this is for you. If you are expecting a resort, or the Grove Park Inn, or an intimate bed and breakfast than go and stay in one. This isn't it. But very very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo