“Decent room...great location”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I came here with my partner for a weekend getaway. The room was comfortable and the staff was pleasant. The front desk staff was always very willing to suggest places to eat or visit. A very modern and hospitable lobby, a surprisingly large pool and a nice hot tub. The room was clean, the bathroom comfortable. One nice feature was the mini fridge in the room. All in all, a pleasant stay. However, there was a buzzing sound coming from the fire alarm and I called the front desk and a maintenance person was sent very quickly but was unable to help with the problem. It wasn't terribly loud but it was a little distracting.

1  Thank Tyler F
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Maybe you shouldn't think of this as a Renaissance Hotel - the rooms are indeed cramped, the
bathrooms barely large enough for one, and the luxurious wares for sale in the Renaissance
flyer on the desk are nowhere to be seen in the room - the chocolate velvet bathrobes (there are NO bathrobes), the plush towels (these are ribbed and not in a nice way), etc. I've actually never stayed at a Renaissance hotel, so I can't compare from experience.

However: finding a really great hotel in Asheville is just about impossible, and this one is our
new favorite. Location, free parking, WONDERFUL staff, and best of all the very large saltwater pool, all at an extremely reasonable price. It looks as though it's mainly a conference center, but that's off in another area and you'd mainly run into conferees at the bar. We didn't
eat there, but had morning coffee and it was very good.

We usually stay at a Hampton Inn closer to Biltmore, which features free breakfast for all, but
is roughly the same price - the Rennaisance is a much better deal.

One baffling thing: why, if you know the rooms are small, would you be sure to put in gigantic
dark wood headboards that go more than halfway up the wall and just add to the claustrophobia - helped out by the solid wall of black furniture on the other side? Lobby design
is really good, but someone dropped the ball in the rooms. Just ignore all that and revel in
the views, the very comfortable beds and linens, and the perfect cleanliness of the place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mizsnooks
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Perfect week. This staff couldn't have been more wonderful. From James the Bellman, to Seth & Kevin at the Desk, everyone insured that your stay was nice. Our floor to ceiling windows facing the historic downtown and mountains during the "snowstorm of the decade" just made it more enchanting. We laughed, almost everywhere we had wanted to eat showed up .7 tenths of a mile from the hotel on our GPS. We walked in snow, we visited shops and bought cool things, had delicious drinks by the fireplace, found a favorite pair of earrings in the hotel shop, and reasonable, imagine that! The swimming pool and jacuzzi was great and my husband worked out every other day on the equipment, and said it was a nice setup. We loved the Renaissance, and will definitely be back. Oh, and Mr. "New York's" omelets each morning were to die for….

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor with a city view and king bed (a Deluxe) with was not much over a standard...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Renaissance AVL R, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted to hear about your recent stay at the Asheville Renaissance Hotel! I will certainly pass along all of your wonderful and positive remarks to our team.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

If your going to Asheville, parking is a bear. Stay here and never move your vehicle, everything is so close. Up for Valentines day weekend to enjoy a show at Thomas Wolf Auditorium ( Umphrey's Mcgee), and enjoy some great food, and spending some time with the wife and some friends and family.
Rooms were clean , the hotel was nice. As a Marriott Platinum Elite member, I was a little disappointed that the concierge lounge closed the whole weekend. We tried the breakfast buffet, nothing outstanding , but good staple items to get your day started. Over the weekend we stayed in for a little coziness, room service, and a movie. PPV movies were $19.00, that was just nuts. They also charge gratuity on your purchased alcohol thru room service, never had that happened, but I will say the food was above average, but were not very supportive of substitutions requested. Next time we will brave the cold and walk a block or two to enjoy a meal, then return and cozi up with our Netflix........

Room Tip: Request a room facing High up and North/North west , facing the mountains........ NICE...
1  Thank Tim A
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This hotel is in the ideal location, which is easy walking distance to all the sites, restaurants and bars of dtown asheville. Also conveniently included at this hotel is free parking, and a parking lot that is a relatively easy walk from the lobby if you want to make any short driving day trips anywhere. So reason i gave this hotel 3 stars is its a bit dated and not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel....it's more like a 3 star. The lobby is real nice (definitely 4 star quality) and the staff was great, always friendly and answered any questions I had about the area. The indoor pool is also a big plus, specially as its heated which comes in handy during winter months. The room themselves were average, a bit dated but at least clean. I wouldn't pay 4 star prices for this hotel (e.g. 200 bucks a night), but if you can get a good deal and care alot about location then this is a good place. If you want to save a few bucks and don't mind not being in dtown I would look elsewheere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SportsFan2007

Dear SportsFan2007,
I am so glad to hear that you generally enjoyed your visit with us. I also appreciate your constructive feedback as well. We look foward to serving you in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Brief two night stay for business. Nice location; just a few blocks walk to downtown Asheville. Some highway noise from the interstate if your room is on the north side of the hotel, particularly noticeable if you're a light sleeper. Friendly staff and a quick check-in. Pretty decent workout room, and a nice-sized pool. Rooms are above average, but as a previous post mentioned, the bathroom is small and pretty much meant for one at a time only.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Let me say that the staff here is truly wonderful. I know this because I needed them so often. I requested a handicapped-accessible room because I am temporarily in a wheelchair. This particular room was BARELY retrofitted to be legal. The bathroom floor slope was all wrong so it completely flooded...unless I put a rolled towel on the floor which of course my chair could not pass over. Amidst this flooded floor, the hairdryer died (glad I was not electrocuted). Later that day, the phone died. I tried to alleviate some stress by heading to the jacuzzi -- this required a) calling downstairs on my cell (broken phone) because there was no in-room guide to the property and b) learning that the jacuzzi was broken. This has all just been way too much for a 24 hour stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulaLB
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

While I appreciate your positive remarks about our staff, I would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your recent visit with us. Clearly, we fell short in our efforts to provide you with first class experience you have come to expect from a hotel of our caliber. If you would like to speak more about your visit, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.