“great location, fine hotel”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had a comfortable stay at the Renaissance Asheville. The room was clean and quiet. A big plus is the Thomas Wolfe Memorial Home which is right next door. People travel a long distance to see Wolfe's home. All you have to do if you stay at this hotel is walk a minute or two. The hotel is also easy walking distance from downtown Asheville. If you don't know how to get there, ask the front desk staff. The hotel shop is exceptionally good. They carry mainly American-hand-made craft items, selected by someone with very good taste. The shop is open long hours every day, staffed by people from the main shop of the craft store, so they are very knowledgeable about what they're selling. The food at the restaurant was good. The prices were much more reasonable than most hotel restaurants.As a Marriott Club member, I got a free morning paper. I was also entitled to a discount in the hotel shop, but I forgot to ask for the discount. My only complaint is that the water in the shower wasn't as hot as I'd like, and the spray was a lot weaker than I prefer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were very happy with everything about the hotel, from the location to the room amenities to the staff. However, the walls are very thin, as we found out when we were awakened at 5 this morning by the loud conversations of the guests in the next room. At this price point, one would expect better sound insulation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hallway. That might decrease your chances of being awakened by loud...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wayne P
Renaissance AVL R, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the noise issues you experienced. However, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your visit.
Terri

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spent 1 night visiting Biltmore Estate. Close to downtown and highways makes it easy to find and equally easy to walk downtown, though our dinner plans required a drive. Lobby and rooms have been refreshened, beds comfy, Concierge Lounge had a great view but was both undersized and understaffed. Not many people when we went for breakfast at 8am and two families and a few solo business travellers had decimated the food offerings, and the indifferent hostess didn't seem interested. Maybe an off day? Did find the front desk staff pleasant, and plenty of secure outdoor parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank davidandrose1

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with both your positive feedback, and your constructive feedback as well. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit with us overall. I will share the information you have provided with our leadership team. We do hope to serve you again in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Terri

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great first impression: very attentive and engaged staff, good room location/view and interesting decor. The pool is huge - one of the biggest we've seen in many years of travel, we were thrilled! Downtown location is both quiet, yet a quick walk to good dining.
Unfortunately, the beds were terrible. Very saggy and old mattresses. I woke up with back pain that persisted for many days - it was that bad! The a/c unit was also very close to the head of the bed, which makes for drafty & noisy sleep.
We totaled 13 hotels on our cross-country journey. This one was one of the best in some ways, and would have gotten a 5* rating from me but for the beds and a/c. I hope a quality room refresh is in the works soon so we can return. Asheville is a very appealing place!

Room Tip: Higher floors on the north side have Blue Ridge views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for almost a week for a work trip. The lobby was beautiful with amazing art. My room had a beautiful view and was very comfortable. The restaurant onsite was very reasonable (hotel restaurants are often so expensive) and the food was wonderful. The bar onsite was lovely too for a drink at the end of a busy day. I loved the outdoor patio, which was huge and comfy. I hope to come back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Rooms were fine. Clean. Comfortable. This is an older hotel so bathrooms are small and rooms are not large, but for a downtown hotel they are fine. Restaurant right off lobby was very good for breakfast and for lunch. Good food; good service. Friendly nice staff. We were with a very large convention and all events were well handled. Parking was convenient and at no charge in a city where parking can be an issue. Very convenient location. They know how to handle a convention.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I spent three nights at the Renaissance and it was near perfect for our needs. First, the hotel gets high marks for the location in a quieter area of downtown, ready access to I-240, and within just a few walking blocks of the heart of downtown. The amenities are standard Marriott fare: spacious clean room with a good bed and small but functional bathroom where one wouldn't be knocking against the walls.

The service was excellent right from check-in to the bar and restaurant. Though we only had breakfast at the Writers' Bistro (the restaurant), it is rated highly rated for dinner -- maybe next time!

What is also a major plus is that there is abundant and free parking with easy access from two (mountain and city) sides of the hotel. For literary buffs, the Thomas Wolfe Memorial is right adjacent to the hotel.

Though I gave it a rating of 3 based on my experience with hotels around the world. I would not hesitate for a moment to stay at the Renaissance Asheville on my next trip there in the fall.

Room Tip: The mountain view is beautiful. The city side is nice too but I prefer not to look at buildings. Try...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SelectTraveler
Renaissance AVL R, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about the Asheville Renaissance Hotel. I have shared your feedback with our team. We hope to serve you again in the near future.